No Fork Oil??/Questionable Dealer - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow VLX
Year: 2000
Garage
No Fork Oil??/Questionable Dealer

I apologize for the long set up... 4 weeks ago I took off my front wheel to get a new rim installed after my accident in September. I took the wheel to my local Honda dealer (dealer name shall remain nameless until proven guilty) and after 4 weeks of backordered parts and them lacing the wheel incorrectly the first time, I pick my wheel up on Monday April 8th, put it on my bike (2000 VLX). I take it for a spin around the neighborhood and something isn't right. The front end would shimmy and shake violently. I look at the front wheel and it is moving side to side about an inch. After spending $350 to replace a rim and true the wheel, this is the quality of work I get. I call Honda corporate to report the dealer, Honda tells me to call the dealer etc. long story short the dealer wants me to bring my bike in. They get it on the lift, the guy spins the wheel and we watch it wobble. He assures me that he wouldn't have given me the wheel in that condition (I think he's full of ****). Now they have to lace and true my wheel for the third time. Now my question is, he tells me I don't have any fork fluid. I've had the bike for 2 years and the forks have never leaked and in 2017 the same dealer put a set of tires on for me and they said the forks were fine. The previous and original owner is a close friend of mine and he never had the forks leak. Does fork oil magically disappear or is this dealer trying to screw me since they have to fix my wheel again at no charge?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
I'd be afraid to trust their work, given your previous experience with them. And no, fork oil doesn't just evaporate. Fortunately, you know the original owner who can vouch for the history of the bike. I'd definitely get a new wrench if I were you.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Too bad motorcycle dealers are so uninterested in customer satisfaction.

I worked at several Japanese auto dealers and one of their main focuses was The Customer Satisfaction index. They were rewarded by the factory if they kept it high. They want repeat customers for service work and car sales.

It seems like bike dealers and shops feel they have such a needy and captive clientele they can blow off a few and still make good money.

Remember the old saying= If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.

The purpose of a shock absorber is mostly to control suspension drop and rebound, on a car, or bike. If there is no oil in the forks you could push down hard on them and they would bounce up and own like a super ball. Most unlikely. If it didn't run out it is still in there.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilie View Post
I'd be afraid to trust their work, given your previous experience with them. And no, fork oil doesn't just evaporate. Fortunately, you know the original owner who can vouch for the history of the bike. I'd definitely get a new wrench if I were you.
When they replaced my tires they never adjusted the chain, every little bump I'd go over there would be a clanking noise. I looked at the chain and there was about 2-2.5in of play. The bike was originally bought from this dealer in 2000. I have a feeling he's full of **** on the fork fluid too. How can I tell if there is any oil in the forks?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Garage
You mentioned you "wrecked" the bike back in September and damaged enough to require a whole new foot peg assembly and also a front wheel. Sounds to me like this was not just a slight bump. If I damage a front wheel enough to require replacement, I would check the entire front end. Even if not damaged it is unlikely that it remains straight. It is possible your forks are bent and or the seals are leaking and you have lost some fork oil (or bent the forks so they stick) . After an accident check everything or take the whole bike to the shop.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteli View Post
When they replaced my tires they never adjusted the chain, every little bump I'd go over there would be a clanking noise. I looked at the chain and there was about 2-2.5in of play. The bike was originally bought from this dealer in 2000. I have a feeling he's full of **** on the fork fluid too. How can I tell if there is any oil in the forks?
Raise the front end to take the pressure off the front suspension and remove the top caps of the fork tubes. I don't know the exact amount you need in each but it will be a few inches down the tube. Be careful when removing the caps as they are under spring pressure. Also make sure to not get them cross threaded when reinstalling them.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb069 View Post
You mentioned you "wrecked" the bike back in September and damaged enough to require a whole new foot peg assembly and also a front wheel. Sounds to me like this was not just a slight bump. If I damage a front wheel enough to require replacement, I would check the entire front end. Even if not damaged it is unlikely that it remains straight. It is possible your forks are bent and or the seals are leaking and you have lost some fork oil (or bent the forks so they stick) . After an accident check everything or take the whole bike to the shop.
I didn't need a foot peg assembly, just needed a foot peg... forks aren't bent and have never leaked and the bike tracks straight. Before having the rim replaced the bike rode fine, just was a bit iffy in the corners.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked the bike up from the dealer today... wheel was trued for the 3rd time. They're insisting that there is no oil in the forks (even though they never leaked) but probably time to replace the seals as the top cams are cracking due to age. The parts guy said something to me that didn't make any sense, He said that since there is no oil in the forks you can't ride the bike (makes sense as there is no front suspension). The stupid thing he said was that no oil in the forks made the wheel un true itself, when I called him on that he had no answer. Can some explain how no front suspension will untrue a spoke wheel?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteli View Post
Picked the bike up from the dealer today... wheel was trued for the 3rd time. They're insisting that there is no oil in the forks (even though they never leaked) but probably time to replace the seals as the top cams are cracking due to age. The parts guy said something to me that didn't make any sense, He said that since there is no oil in the forks you can't ride the bike (makes sense as there is no front suspension). The stupid thing he said was that no oil in the forks made the wheel un true itself, when I called him on that he had no answer. Can some explain how no front suspension will untrue a spoke wheel?
If the wheel is now ok just consider yourself stroked and move on. Now you know what dealer not to go to. Then i'd put the bike up and pull your fork tube caps and verify what you suspect. Let us know what you find.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
If a shock absorber on a car is very weak it can allow the tire to bounce more than it should and cause a cupping pattern in the tire tread. The bike would be the same. Tire wear maybe.

But unless the wheel is hopping up and down a huge amount it will never bend the wheel.

How many roads are very smooth and flat? With no pot holes.

Very few, and the wheels don't whack out from that just driving down the street.

What a crock.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page