Honda Shadow Forums banner

no start in gear

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  215498 
#1 ·
hi everyone. ok. I have been going nuts over this for months. I thought I had it taken care of, but I guess not. I can not start the bike in gear. yes the kickstand is up. I have replaced clutch switch, the wiring harness(switch, headlight, etc...) replaced the diode, I have checked for continuity on NSS, kick stand switch. I have had the bike a part almost.

Now I saw on youtube(different bike) that if I get continuity it can be still shot. IDK.

I am about ready to replace everything.also shouldn't the sensor be more up? almost touching metal peace? In red circle. Also, should the kickstand have play? If I grab it I can giggle it back forth. Yes, I checked to make sure it was tight.

Attachments

See less See more
1 1
This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Since the starter relay needs power on one wire (Y/R) and ground on the other small wire ( G/R) to complete the solenoid coil, get your meter and measure continuity to ground at the solenoid on the G/R with the key off. Try each switch and see which of the 3 switches gives a ground. They all should, when activated. The one that doesn't provide ground is the bad one.

Attachments

#11 ·
You grounded the neutral switch wire and it cranked. Doesn't the neutral switch ground when in neutral and turns the light? So you may have told the system it was in neutral by doing that and Fooled it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.