Engine cut out while idling, now nothing - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT600C
Year: 2003
Engine cut out while idling, now nothing

Works, starter doesn't click or turn over, no lights not instument, or riding . Since I his happened a fair distance from my place, I have not been able to get back to it with any tools to figure out what's wrong. Funny thing is I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I SHOULD LUG WITH ME, anyone have any suggestions ?
A little information and history on my bike .
Since I got it exactly a year ago today lol, I have been noticing strange things, very few for the first 6 months and nothing serious what happened it didn't happen again . After month 6 it sometimes would not start first try then sometimes on second etc . When it wouldn't start I would either get a click sound or the starter would turn over but wouldn't start. I would just have to wait a few minutes and it would start up. Then that stopped and it just would not start it would click and after a few trys it wouldn't do that either , so I got a new battery it in and it was fine. A week or so later my lowbeams stopped working, and then my left turn signal, I replaced the bulbs, the low beam burned out right away, checked the fuses they were fine. A month later, it did it all again but much faster. Got another new battery, when swapping it and the old on out I noticed the old one had popped off the top.cover of the battery!! Put the new one in nothing . Walked to the nearest machanic , who had it for five weeks and could not figure out what was wrong with it, I then took it to the Honda rep. Here and they wanted me to do the 9000 mile tune up( 1000.00$).before they would diagnose it!! WTF! ( It's a 2003, it's not worth much more than a 1000.00), then they said the seals were shot another 800.00. the mechanic I usually take it was finally back and had an opening (a month later) took it in on the day and before.i got home he had called with the problem ( module) and ordered the part.( The other ace had it for 5 weeks!!) I told him about all it ,he said seals ??? No every thing is fine it does need a tune up and back tire and soon breaks. After not having it for 2 months I got it back, he said the battery if full and good to.go . 2 months later it started again not starting head light blown this both high and low, and today it died while sitting at a light idling , nothing has power at all can start it by popping the clutch nothing. Oh I had it in to the garage again two weeks ago( it got kicked over by some one broke off the mirror) he said the regulator was going bad, and it was iver charging the battery and he recommended that when I bring it in to get the damge repaired get that replaced too.

So my questions are what do I need to take with me to try to diagnose this ? A multimeter, hand tools? Is that it? Should I just buy a new battery and bring that too? I got today a new regulator, I'm guessing I should replace the old one while I'm doing this? Could it be fuses? The regulator over charging the battery would that trip fuses? Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Starter button/kill switch assembly needs cleaned or replaced. Common cause due age/wear/weathering of switch assembly. Not saying it's the actual cause but a good place to start.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM

If bulbs burned out and fuses blew, that definitely could be the Rectifier/Regulator is bad.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Could look up post here on the three yellow wire problem. It's something that should be checked as it involves the stator and rectifier / regular that jpr mentioned.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I am trying to get a ride to where my bike is now, ill check the fuses, and switch out the regulator(how hard could it be....). ill check the starter switch assembly as well. im going to enroll at city college here in San Francisco for the motorcycle repair courses, cant afford to not be able to fix my own bike if i live here,lol.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
Mine was the key switch. I disconnected the battery, pumped the keyhole full of WD-40 and worked the key on and off. I let it sit overnight. The next day I connected the battery and everything was working again. My original issue was no power to anything.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcmik View Post
Got another new battery, when swapping it and the old on out I noticed the old one had popped off the top.cover of the battery.

Voltage regulator. Fire both mechanics for not testing this first thing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
Voltage regulator. Fire both mechanics for not testing this first thing.
LOL! the first shop i took it to, has gone out of business (i wonder why?). My regular shop, he did tell me the regulator was bad and was over charging the battery. Since i was waiting for insurance company to settle my claim for vandalism ( some one knocked it over), and he was waiting for the parts as well, i asked if i could use til everything was set for him to do the repairs, and install the new regulator (its my only mode of transportation), he was hesitant, and cautioned to use it as little as possible, no long trips, and to take it easy, and ride with the high beam on all the time, and not to charge the battery. I since have ordered a regulator myself, it arrives today finally, and i will attempt to install it my self(still have not been down to check on my bike or diagnose it, today i have my bosses car and the day off and the regulator should be delivered so i will do it today. Again thank you for helping.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page