Less Power Than Expected - 2004 VT1100C - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 AM

Model: VT1100C2
Year: 2007
When I picked up my 07 VT1100C2 it had 7800 miles. It looked clean and ran OK but also seemed a bit anemic. Ran some Sea Foam through it, it improved. Then I added some Berryman B-12 through it and it cleaned right up and the bike is running much better and easily keeping up with my neighbors 6 carb Valkyrie.

I have doubled the mileage on the bike since purchased in Nov 2018 and it's broken in now too.
Is it a speed demon? No but it is very low maintenance, reliable and will get you well over interstate speed limits.

My 2 cents on B-12: Compared to Sea Foam, B-12 seems more like Drano. Be careful around your paint and other things that may melt.... I still consider Sea Foam my go to for regular maintenance though.

Honda Sabre VT-1100

Gone but not forgotten!
FZ-10
Victory Vision
FJR 1300
Stratoliner 113ci
Shadow Spirit VT1100
Honda 919/CB900F
Kawasaki ZR7S
Honda CB360

VFW, Post 2391

Last edited by Scuba77; 04-25-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba77 View Post
When I picked up my 07 VT1100C2 it had 7800 miles. It looked clean and ran OK but also seemed a bit anemic. Ran some Sea Foam through it, it improved. Then I added some Berryman B-12 through it and it cleaned right up and the bike is running much better and easily keeping up with my neighbors 6 carb Valkyrie.

I have doubled the mileage on the bike since purchased in Nov 2018 and it's broken in now too.
Is it a speed demon? No but it is very low maintenance, reliable and will get you well over interstate speed limits.

My 2 cents on B-12: Compared to Sea Foam, B-12 seems more like Drano. Be careful around your paint and other things that may melt.... I still consider Sea Foam my go to for regular maintenance though.

Sounds like your neighbor needs to use some SF too!

I mentioned B12 as a courtesy to others as this SF vs. B12 has been under debate for a long time here. I use SF for serious cleaning and B12 for thru the season additive and in the 4 wheel part of the fleet. Like I said it woke the Dragon.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 04-25-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM

And to help this matter a 180/70-15 tire size helps make it very much like the other VT1100's final drive wise. The secondary gear is what's different.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 04-25-2019 at 09:38 AM.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Model: VT1100C2
Year: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
Sounds like your neighbor needs to use some SF too!

LOL Nah, he's more anal about carb performance than me.
He syncs and rebuilds carbs and does mods for a lot of Valk owners.
Also based on the way my bike was set up when I bought it there is the possibility it was jetted.

As far as B-12 or SF... like them both and think they work just a bit differently from one another.

Honda Sabre VT-1100

Gone but not forgotten!
FZ-10
Victory Vision
FJR 1300
Stratoliner 113ci
Shadow Spirit VT1100
Honda 919/CB900F
Kawasaki ZR7S
Honda CB360

VFW, Post 2391

Last edited by Scuba77; 04-25-2019 at 10:48 AM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Just a thought, but are the exhaust pipes stock or aftermarket? Before I bought my '18 aero, I test rode an '05 1100 Sabre at the dealership that had Cobra aftermarket pipes. I was really disappointed as soon as I left the parking lot as it had the worst throttle response and power of any bike I've ever been on. Being the year it was, it was carbureted. Whoever put those pipes on there didn't do the necessary work to rejet the carbs, and the dealership apparently didn't care to look into it either.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:39 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedecline86 View Post
Just a thought, but are the exhaust pipes stock or aftermarket? Before I bought my '18 aero, I test rode an '05 1100 Sabre at the dealership that had Cobra aftermarket pipes. I was really disappointed as soon as I left the parking lot as it had the worst throttle response and power of any bike I've ever been on. Being the year it was, it was carbureted. Whoever put those pipes on there didn't do the necessary work to rejet the carbs, and the dealership apparently didn't care to look into it either.

It's likely that the dealership knew it would take expensive man hours to strip it down and experiment with different jets in order to get it running correctly, and they'd never recoup the loss. It's also likely they took it in from the guy at a cheap price because people looking for bikes don't really want to see a loud, poorly running motorcycle as they are shopping around for a bike. My motto when buying bikes is they must have absolutely no exhaust mods or I won't even come to look at them no matter how many times the owner says the bike just 'has to be seen'.

To be honest, I can not recall ever seeing a bike that actually ran better after the owner decided he just had to have a spikey pointed air box, K&N air filter and loud exhaust pipes.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedecline86 View Post
Yes, in this case the bike is bone stock. My father-in-law is not a person who likes to mod anything. The only things that were done is that he had the dealer add a very ugly cigarette lighter to the handlebars as an accessory socket. It was done very poorly, and i removed it as soon as I took ownership. The only other mods had done (also by the dealer) was a set of saddlebags and a windshield.

2004 VT1100C
Aftermarket Add-Ons (so far):
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 AM

Model: VT1100c
Year: 2003
Garage
I very recently picked up an '03 1100 Spirit. It had been sitting since 2005 and only had 4,700 on it. The previous owners daughter had the carbs cleaned last year. The carbs needed redone again. The 1100 Spirit replaced an 800 Intruder. I like you felt the exact same way about the loss of power. The transmission on the shadow has a much wider ratio. That is what I believe you're feeling. I was in 5th by 40 on my intruder and often I'm still in 2nd on the shadow.

When I picked up the shadow it ran so bad I had to feather the clutch A LOT on pull out. I had the carbs out a couple times and the last time I installed a stage one jet kit and some larger pilots along with a K&N filter (add exhaust to taste). The bike finally came to life although still not as quick as my intruder. I think you are experiencing the same thing. I believe the ultimate difference is in the wider range transmission on the Shadow. It is better a better highway bike. I had it on the interstate last weekend and at the 65mph speed limit it's RPM's were rather low. I accidentally crept up to 75 and rolled it back down but it still had a LOT to go. The bike was smooth at 75. I believe that is where the Shadow's sweet spot is. It is much more of a cruiser.

'03 Honda Shadow VT1100c Spirit
'95 Honda GL1500A Goldwing
'01 Kawasaki KLR 250
'14 Yamaha TW200

Last edited by 4seasons; 04-26-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
I very recently picked up an '03 1100 Spirit. It had been sitting since 2005 and only had 4,700 on it. The previous owners daughter had the carbs cleaned last year. The carbs needed redone again. The 1100 Spirit replaced an 800 Intruder. I like you felt the exact same way about the loss of power. The transmission on the shadow has a much wider ratio. That is what I believe you're feeling. I was in 5th by 40 on my intruder and often I'm still in 2nd on the shadow.

When I picked up the shadow it ran so bad I had to feather the clutch A LOT on pull out. I had the carbs out a couple times and the last time I installed a stage one jet kit and some larger pilots along with a K&N filter (add exhaust to taste). The bike finally came to life although still not as quick as my intruder. I think you are experiencing the same thing. I believe the ultimate difference is in the wider range transmission on the Shadow. It is better a better highway bike. I had it on the interstate last weekend and at the 65mph speed limit it's RPM's were rather low. I accidentally crept up to 75 and rolled it back down but it still had a LOT to go. The bike was smooth at 75. I believe that is where the Shadow's sweet spot is. It is much more of a cruiser.

As a current owner of both the VT1100C and VS800 Intruder, I agree 100%
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post

I agree, the shift points are noticeably different on this bike, and I think it's just taking some getting used to.

2004 VT1100C
Aftermarket Add-Ons (so far):
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page