Less Power Than Expected - 2004 VT1100C - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Less Power Than Expected - 2004 VT1100C

Good afternoon! Well, I have spent the last couple of weeks getting this bike back in order. I picked it up from my father-in-law about 2 weeks ago. Bike history is that he bought it new, and it only has 16K miles on it. It has sat pretty idle for the last few years. Here's what I've done:
  • Changed Engine Oil / Filter
  • Changed Brake Fluid
  • Changed Final Drive Oil
  • Changed air filter
  • Cleaned up all of the chrome, paint, etc.

Bike is now running really well. I still have some things to do:
  • New seat
  • New saddlebags
  • New windshield
  • Toolbag
  • Windshield Bag
  • Paint buffing

Anyway, all of that out of the way, the bike is running great. The only real issue I have is that the thing just has considerably less power than I expected. My previous bike was a 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic. It had considerably more power than this bike (now admittedly I did upgrade the air intake, pipes, re-jet the carbs, and put it on a dyno for tuning), but even so I would've thought 300CC more would have made a significant difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a sportbike feel here. I realize it's a cruiser, I'm just curious of what your thoughts are. TIA!

2004 VT1100C
Aftermarket Add-Ons (so far):
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
that bike left the factory with about 60 hp with a dry weight of around 550 lbs. Thats not overly impressive from the start. then add a bunch of weight for your bags and accessories and you get a bike that may be comfortable but not fast. the 800 vulcan probably made close to the same hp but is a smaller bike so would lolely have a better power to weight ratio despite its smaller engine

🏍
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Well I see no mentioning of carb cleaning. Might put a 1/3 can of Seafoam/Berryman in fresh tank of gas and see if you get some response out of the ole' girl. Did you check the date code on the tires? A set of these made huge difference in wrist comfort w/o any mod's to cable's etc. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/500...dium-handlebar

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 04-23-2019 at 09:33 AM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
Well I see no mentioning of carb cleaning. Might put a 1/3 can of Seafoam/Berryman in fresh tank of gas and see if you get some response out of the ole' girl. Did you check the date code on the tires? A set of these made huge difference in wrist comfort w/o any mod's to cable's etc. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/500...dium-handlebar
I did check the tires, and they need to be replaced. It's on my shortlist as well. I will definitely check out the handle bars. Also, I'm not a huge fan of seafoam; however, I think it might be a good idea to remove and rebuild the carb. I've never really done much with carbs (not since I was 16, and even then I didn't really understand what I was doing). How hard of a job is this to rebuild / adjust the carb?

2004 VT1100C
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
If you have only 1 carb it is easy. Mostly just cleaning any debris in the float bowl and inspecting and cleaning the pilot jet which has a very small drilling through it. If there is no major corrosion spray carb cleaner may be all you need. Inspect the rubber diaphram on the slide carefully for damage also.
This guy has some great videos.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
If you have only 1 carb it is easy. Mostly just cleaning any debris in the float bowl and inspecting and cleaning the pilot jet which has a very small drilling through it. If there is no major corrosion spray carb cleaner may be all you need. Inspect the rubber diaphram on the slide carefully for damage also.
This guy has some great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFMwoGAR2U
Does my bike have just a single carb? 2004 VT1100C?

2004 VT1100C
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by llaslo View Post
Does my bike have just a single carb? 2004 VT1100C?
No, 1100 are all twin carb.

Quite a few youtube videos on it, this guy does a good how to on it IMO.

And another how to get them off:

And another:

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

Last edited by blupupher; 04-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
No, 1100 are all twin carb.
Thanks! That's what I thought. I'm going to buy a service manual and watch some videos. This can't be that hard to do.

2004 VT1100C
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Thanks! That's what I thought. I'm going to buy a service manual and watch some videos. This can't be that hard to do.

Do they need cleaning?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
I did check the tires, and they need to be replaced. It's on my shortlist as well. I will definitely check out the handle bars. Also, I'm not a huge fan of seafoam; however, I think it might be a good idea to remove and rebuild the carb. I've never really done much with carbs (not since I was 16, and even then I didn't really understand what I was doing). How hard of a job is this to rebuild / adjust the carb?

You said the bike was running great, why do you feel you need to rebuild the carbs? If the bike is running smoothly now throughout it's rpm range, from starting it up, to idle to wide open throttle, a rebuilt carburetor is not going to make it run smoother or produce a lick more horsepower. My 2000 1100VT (same as yours) is the slowest bike in my collection, but I didn't buy it for speed. It's a great cruiser, runs all day long at expressway speeds without overworking the motor, and gets great gas mileage.

If your new to bikes and aren't real comfortable around carburetors and the many ways you can screw them up while trying a complete rebuild, you might wish you had just left well enough alone.

If you don't care for SeaFoam, run an ounce of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner through each fillup, and the carbs will last forever without needing to be rebuilt.

Just my opinion, but it's your bike, so take the advice with a grain of salt. Enjoy that bike...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page