Terrible valve noise - video - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalthecat View Post
I have some skills but not all the tools. It does scare me. I have rebuilt carbs but never have I worked on an engine. Don't even know what all the parts are inside. I am hoping I can see what the problem is once I take it apart, but maybe I can't.

If you can rebuild a carb you can rebuild an engine, it really isn't that hard. There shouldn't be a bunch of speciality tools involved.

In fact the older the motorcycle usually the easier except trying to find parts. Like anything the first time around just go slow.

!999 VT1100C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Model: 750 ACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
If you can rebuild a carb you can rebuild an engine, it really isn't that hard. There shouldn't be a bunch of speciality tools involved.

In fact the older the motorcycle usually the easier except trying to find parts. Like anything the first time around just go slow.
Thanks. I will. I guess I will try to get started this weekend.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Make sure you have a manual for specs.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 AM

Don't make a Basket Case!

I would definitely get a copy of the Honda Service Manual, you may be able to find it online.

Take pictures as you take things apart, it takes a little longer but it can save a lot of confusion about what goes where and in what order, when you put it all back together.

Get yourself a bunch of refrigerator storage plastic bags and a permanent marker, label things and keep things together that belong together, once again it will take longer but the pay off is enormous especially if you get dragged away from the project for a while.

Organization and cleanliness is key.

Best of luck in the endeavor.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I have the Clymer manual. Same as the olds Haynes manuals.

Yes, I will be very organized. I photo every step when I do something for the first time.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Well I got the engine out. It was a real bear getting it out.

Anyway, I did something I should have done before taking it out. I hand rotated the engine to check for that terrible tapping noise, and there is nothing. I have included a video of that here.

Does it make sense that it would not make any undue noise once off the bike? Should I bother tearing it down?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Garage
Since you have it out, take out the spark plugs and see if you can spin it over faster with a power drill .It may show something when rotated faster.

If possible and you can get a good reference point, get each piston up to the top, and see if you can measure the depth from a good top point on the head. See if each piston is the same depth, or a rod is bent and then it will show lower in the cylinder. Just an idea.

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:44 PM

It does sound like a pretty normal engine when cranked over slowly and driven by the crank instead of the pistons.
Assuming the initial video gave a reasonable representation of the noise that you encountered live on the scene, I'd say all you know at this point is you haven't found the cause.

@swifty2014 advice sounds good to possibly further determine the problem.

I don't think anything is going to be resolved without at least taking the top end off the engine as something is definitely not right in there somewhere.

Do not think that there is no noise being made spinning the crank that there is nothing wrong and stuff it back in the bike hoping to ride it, that is not a winning bet.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
That motor needs a rebuild, that is not valve noise that sounds like rod knock. Motor is rebuildable right now but if it throws a rod it may not be
To my ear, this knock is way too heavy and not frequent enough for valve train noise. Tear down at least to remove the jugs and check the cylinder walls for damage. Check the pistons, especially around the wrist pins. If you have cracks or even possibly a missing/broken wrist pin circlip that's a good starting point From there you can assess whether you have any bottom end damage that would require you tearing down to the crank.
If you can pick up a serviceable used engine, that might get you on the road quicker.
I also vote for getting the Honda factory shop manual used online. Well worth the detail not found in Clyme's (I have both) and if you luck out like I did, mine came from a Honda shop complete with Service Bulletins.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Garage
Another thought is to take out the plugs and look for damage on them and get a small flashlight beam and look at the piston tops. If any metallic damage take it apart.
And I have found which rod bearing was bad on cars by getting the piston to TDC then rolling it a little past that so the piston is being pulled down. Then push down on the piston top to see if you feel any movement from a worn out rod bearing. May not be as easy on a bike however.

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page