VT500E whining noise - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

VT500E whining noise

Hi.
Some time ago I bought this 1988 VT500 E with supposedly 58 k on the counter. It's a well handling bike, although not the prettiest design.

Recently, it started making a whining noise when warm and only at idling engine speed. The sound will disappear as soon as the revs goes up and return at idling speed. If the engine has been turned off for a few minutes, the sound is gone, but will return after a few minutes driving. At first, the sound seem to come from the right side of the engine (clutch-bearing?), but I do now suspect the water pump may cause the noise. Does anyone recognise this problem?Thanks.
franne

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mc.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	262278  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:44 PM

Model: Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDD
Year: 2002
Garage
My has always whined, nature of the beast I guess.
Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer overflows, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:08 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
The water pump is on the lower left side. Get a cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight to pin point the sound. Or even a few feet of hose held up to your ear.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmymother View Post
My has always whined, nature of the beast I guess.
Mother

https://youtu.be/2Bg57tF-QyU
Thanks for sharing this with me, Mother.
I have been thinking of just trying to forget about the noise, but it's a rather annoying sound, so I'll try to solve the problem.

The noise from your bike is a wee bit more pleasant than my noise. I'll see if I can upload some sound.

I'll let you know, if I succeed ti fix the problem.
//franne

Last edited by franne; 05-02-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
The water pump is on the lower left side. Get a cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight to pin point the sound. Or even a few feet of hose held up to your ear.
Thanks for your advice, Swifty.
My daughter in law is a doctor, so she probably has such a tool in her doctor's bag. I'm sure her patients won't mind an oily spot on their chest
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 PM

Model: Vt750
Garage
Just wrap the end in a plastic baggy and no one will know the difference.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:39 AM

Model: VT500C
Garage
If you take a look at a bike known as the Yamaha Vision...you'll see certain similarities...can't remember which one came first, but the Vision was a 550. Anyway, they had a slightly better looking & much larger windshield, so if you are a semi-decent welder and found one, you could upgrade your shield by welding on the bracket. Everything built in the 80's could be switched around if you had some welding skills

Meanwhile, deep cleaning of an engine is sometimes a neccessary evil. Running Multiple radiator flushes on a Saturday pretty much kills a Saturday, but your bike will thank you for it! Ain't a bad idea to do it for ALL your vehicles at the same time...at least 3 radiator flush bottles per vehicle, lots of distilled water, and rad fluid to refill when it's all done.

Also...after that's done, oil flush/change are the next Saturday's chore. Also realize that synthetic oils can make a bike sound quite different...so don't be afraid to experiment between Standard and Synthetics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xz550.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	262384   Click image for larger version

Name:	1983 Yamaha XZ550 VISION.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	262386   Click image for larger version

Name:	1982-Yamaha-XZ550-42221.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	262388  

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Shrek.

I must try this radiator flush, but meanwhile the noise has disappeared. My bike probably saw me with the stethoscope around my neck

About fairing, I must confess I did actually have a 550 Vision a few years ago. But I did not like it's fairing (nor the bike's handling). Maybe I'll do something else and make a café racer out of the Honda next winter.

But thank you for your ideas.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
Meanwhile, deep cleaning of an engine is sometimes a neccessary evil. Running Multiple radiator flushes on a Saturday pretty much kills a Saturday, but your bike will thank you for it! Ain't a bad idea to do it for ALL your vehicles at the same time...at least 3 radiator flush bottles per vehicle, lots of distilled water, and rad fluid to refill when it's all done....
I enjoy the Chris Fix videos and if you have decided to do a rad "flush" at least this one shows how, however this procedure is not required and NOT recommended by Honda (or Nissan, GM, Ford etc.). The dark color of "old" coolant is meaningless. The coolant and the flush are environmentally hazardous so flushing creates additional environmental issues. Honda specifically warns against using any aftermarket "flushes".

As with most automotive consumables, coolants and cooling systems have vastly improved over the years so that typical coolant change is once every 5 years (for instance the 2001 Honda Accord recommended first coolant change is 120,000 miles).

G.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, to be honest, I have tinkered with quite a lot of old cars and bikes for the past 50 years, but I have never flushed a cooling system. Admittedly, I have done other nasty things to the cooling system in order to try to repair a radiator or a cracked cylinder head like putting an egg or other magical stuff into the cooling system ;-(.

However, the idea of flushing the internals of the human body seems to be very popular in these days, so maybe this goes for our beloved bikes as well
Thanks for your input B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page