Non-starting issue - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
If you see drips from that black rubber boot area it is the oil pressure switch. It could have a leak and a loss of oil but would not keep it from cranking or starting. But check your oil level to be sure it is not low, now that you have seen leaking.

The throttle cable itself won't cause a no start. Just don't open the throttle while cranking, that usually works best.

If it will crank all the time, but not fire up then it is fuel or electrical related.
The leakage is not from the oil pressure switch, but it is leaking onto it from above. From the coloration it could be coolant, but it also has a gassy smell. When I was replacing the throttle cables I noticed what appeared to be a small leakage (a few drops) from the water tubes that connects to the carburetor.

The oil is fine - I haven't lost any, but I do seem to be losing gas. Each evening I put a little in (hoping to get it started) but seem to have less the following day when I remove the tank. Yes it will crank each & every time, and for a brief moment it seem that it wants to fire up, & occasionally it did but it is usually short-lived. Today I checked the fuel line. I admit I am much better at fixing something than I am at diagnosing problems. My problem is that I don't know what the problem is LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1983
Garage
Water tubes to the carb??

Sounds like those are vacuum tubes...shouldn't have any water in 'em tho...gas might be present, if there is a...whatchamacallit...do a petcock rebuild because your regulator diaphram is probably cracked. Well, honestly probably all the rubber inside there is shot. Heat & age can kill the inner workings of a petcock as quickly as ten years, also somewhat dependant on where you park it/store it. Shade/bike cover is good, direct sunlight is bad.

That should solve your gas leak issue.

Oh, also check your fuel tank lid, sometimes that gasket wears out and the gas will evaporate right out the top, especially in warmer weather.

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.

Last edited by Big Shrek; 05-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM

Model: VT750C2F Spirit
Year: 2009
The throttle plate needs to be closed for the slow jet to siphon fuel into the air stream. If the throttle plate is open too far the slow jet doesn't draw enough fuel and the mix will be too lean to idle.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
Water tubes to the carb??

Sounds like those are vacuum tubes...shouldn't have any water in 'em tho...gas might be present, if there is a...whatchamacallit...do a petcock rebuild because your regulator diaphram is probably cracked. Well, honestly probably all the rubber inside there is shot. Heat & age can kill the inner workings of a petcock as quickly as ten years, also somewhat dependant on where you park it/store it. Shade/bike cover is good, direct sunlight is bad.

That should solve your gas leak issue.

Oh, also check your fuel tank lid, sometimes that gasket wears out and the gas will evaporate right out the top, especially in warmer weather.
Yes! Water hoses are connected to the carb and so are vacuum tubes - in any event, your suggestions were well received. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1,.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	262644   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1,,.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	262646  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
So the water hoses could be for carb heat to keep them at a proper temp to run efficiently and clean emissions. Cars have manifold heating also with carbs . Some bike carbs have electrical connectors with heating elements in the bowls.

But to find the source of the leak wrap paper towels around the hoses you suspect and run it and look for wet spots.
Maybe all that is needed is to snug up the hose clamps.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
So the water hoses could be for carb heat to keep them at a proper temp to run efficiently and clean emissions. Cars have manifold heating also with carbs . Some bike carbs have electrical connectors with heating elements in the bowls.

But to find the source of the leak wrap paper towels around the hoses you suspect and run it and look for wet spots.
Maybe all that is needed is to snug up the hose clamps.
Happy to report that I am back on the road again apparently, "all that was needed was to snug up the hose clamps." Thanks again!!!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM

Glad you got it running, enjoy.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramie View Post
Glad you got it running, enjoy.
Yeah! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page