Non-starting issue - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
Non-starting issue

This may be a twist on the non-starting issue, but I recently installed a new set of throttle cables and now suddenly the bike no longer starts. Out of 30 or so attempts it started 4 times. Each time that it does not start it sounds (for a second) as if it wants to start but doesn't. i have no idea where to begin, any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Model: VLX 600
Year: 2003
I suspect your throttles are not closing all the way for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
non-starting issues

Would you explain how the throttles failing to close would prevent the bike from starting? At what point do you suspect the throttles aren't closing: up top in the throttle grip, or down below attached to the carb.?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Model: VLX 600
Year: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Force 1 View Post
Would you explain how the throttles failing to close would prevent the bike from starting? At what point do you suspect the throttles aren't closing: up top in the throttle grip, or down below attached to the carb.?

It’s just a WAG on my part. I have owned more than one motorcycle that would not cold start if the throttle was not fully closed. If the cables are too tight or misrouted that could cause problems. You installed new cables and now it won’t start. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
non-starting issues

How did you determine that your non-starting issue was related to your throttle not fully closing? What should I look for , or what type of test should I run, to determine whether or not that is the problem? (Like if it were the battery, or sparks etc. I could test them. I didn't realize anything other than compression, fuel, electric & air impacted starting, but I have a lot to learn I guess. Thank you!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 PM

You should have some slop in the throttle when you twist it back and forth. There are two different adjustments on the push pull cables, one up towards the grip and one down next to the carbs. I've always found the one by the carbs easier to adjust but you may have to lift up your tank a little.

It's also possible you messed up the kill switch wiring when changing out the cables.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramie View Post
You should have some slop in the throttle when you twist it back and forth. There are two different adjustments on the push pull cables, one up towards the grip and one down next to the carbs. I've always found the one by the carbs easier to adjust but you may have to lift up your tank a little.

It's also possible you messed up the kill switch wiring when changing out the cables.
As you can see I have a lot to learn: what is slop? I think you may be on to something in regards to the kill switch. I & going to check it for continuity. I think you put me on to something. Thanks!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Force 1 View Post
As you can see I have a lot to learn: what is slop? I think you may be on to something in regards to the kill switch. I & going to check it for continuity. I think you put me on to something. Thanks!
What he's referring to as "slop" is a little movement of the throttle grip without moving the throttle linkage at the carb. In other words, your cable adjusters aren't too tight. For future reference when changing cables, When you pull the old cable out, attach a piece of string or cord to it so when you reinstall the new one, you pull it back through the correct path.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Slop could also be called slack, or free play.
The kill switch idea was on my mind also.
Get a meter or test light and put it on the black/white wire on a coil and see if you always have power with the key on.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
non-starting issues

Thank you very much! Things are a lot clearer now. I didn't recognize the word "slop" and have never heard it before ( I have this glossary (web.archive.org/web/20071211174129/http://motorcycle-glossary.com/motorcycle-definitions/t/) that is supposed to have all of the words but it didn't have it. I do know what is meant by free play.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page