Cylinder/Valve cover replacement - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 AM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmymother View Post
I had the 1971 Triumph Trophy 650 many years ago, got it brand new, wanted the Bonneville duel carb, couldn't afford it. I remember the oil tank was in the frame tubes.
Mother
OIF: oil in frame and that's what I own. The bike supposedly ran much cooler with that setup. I chose the Tiger over the Bonneville because it has a single carburator therefore easier to tune and maintain. But overall since it's a Triumph, maintenance is a total PITA.

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM

I never had a Triumph or BSA new enough to have Oil in Frame and I had a few of them.
I do remember some of the early '70's Triumphs having frame cracking problems in the main frame tube near the swing arm.

As much as I remember English bikes in general being a maintenance nightmare compared with Hondas, in fact almost anything else, the sunny day nostalgia part of my brain wants a 1969 or later T100R as a semi-garage queen.
The more sensible part of my brain with more realistic recollection says NO!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
..........the sunny day nostalgia part of my brain wants a 1969 or later T100R..............
The 1968 Bonneville was consider the best Triumph ever. However the 1972 TR6R (and probably the Bonneville of the same year) were considered the best handling Triumphs in spite of their very very tall frame with a seat height of 34 inches.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDD
Year: 2002
Garage
That Triumph was the first bike I actually went on a road trip. Went from Florida to Kentucky. My first ride on mountain roads, would take the curves leaning as far over as I could, it was a blast.
Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer overflows, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmymother View Post
That Triumph was the first bike I actually went on a road trip. Went from Florida to Kentucky. My first ride on mountain roads, would take the curves leaning as far over as I could, it was a blast.
Mother
I LOVE driving my Tiger thru the whoop dee doos and leaning damn near onto the asphalt - something I could never do with my Shadow!!!

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, I got the valve cover off, no need to drain coolant per manual. Just need to remove thermostat mount bolt and use cable ties to lift thermostat up and out of the way as far as you can, if you don't you will need 3 hands and a monkey to do this, and I hate monkeys. Pull cover out from left side of bike, yes you will have to finagle it out of there but it comes out. See photos...
Mother
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSide.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	262598   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftSide.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	262600   Click image for larger version

Name:	OldCorroded.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	816.2 KB
ID:	262602  

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer overflows, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Lock your bike at night cause this guy is on the loose to cause trouble.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	monkey mechanic.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	262618  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
Lock your bike at night cause this guy is on the loose to cause trouble.
Dammit swifty, I hate monkeys, punch 'em in the eye ! lol ... all in fun...
Mother

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the new (used) valve cover on. Here's what I found, the gasket can actually be used with no sealant on it, the problem is reinstalling would cause the gasket to fall off if not adhered, key word "adhered", Honda Bond is an adhesive which holds the gasket firmly to the cover so you can contort it to get it back on. Without it, the gasket would not survive the install, it would just fall off (rocker arm bolts difficult to get over). There is also a smaller gasket inside the edge gasket (spark plug hole), without it being firmly secured you could never be sure if it fell off or not. I reused the old gasket as it was still pliable and undamaged, just had to remove the old Honda Bond with some alcohol, stuff looked like rubber cement to me. I applied the adhesive to cover and placed gasket, allowed to dry overnight, now held firmly in place. See photos, also the manual says to remove the carbs to do this, I don't have that problem so I can't tell you if you need to do that or not. Maybe it's easier on other models, but of course, not mine. Found a used rear cover for $24, maybe swap next or keep for a spare, rear chrome not peeling, still looks good.
Mother
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GasketSeating.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	262630   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewCoverInstalled.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	262632  

Last edited by Tellmymother; 05-15-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Replying to my own posts , but useful for future reference for others, I guess. Went ahead and swapped out the rear valve covers while I was at it, basically same procedure as the front, see above. Original covers the chrome was starting to bubble up. Much easier than the front cover, per manual, just need to remove the crankcase ventilation box, still have to finagle the cover in and out of there but doable. Manual again says to remove carbs, but I ain't got none, lol . Photos below...

Mother

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RearCove.jpg
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	262650   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCoverR.jpg
Size:	884.8 KB
ID:	262652   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCoverL.jpg
Size:	713.4 KB
ID:	262654  

Last edited by Tellmymother; 05-16-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page