Cylinder/Valve cover replacement - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDD
Year: 2002
Garage
Cylinder/Valve cover replacement

I found a used cylinder/valve cover for $25. My old front cover is corroded badly, see photos. Manual says to use Honda Bond A gasket sealer. I can't find any, YouTube guys say don't use gasket sealer at all, just install gasket. Should I use a sealer or just install it ? Also, looks like I can remove the old cover without messing with water pump lines, manual says to drain. Any one done this ?
BTW, it's Mothers Day...
Mother

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corroded.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	262560   Click image for larger version

Name:	New.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	693.4 KB
ID:	262562  

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer overflows, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother

Last edited by Tellmymother; 05-12-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmymother View Post
I found a used cylinder/valve cover for $25. My old front cover is corroded badly, see photos. Manual says to use Honda Bond A gasket sealer. I can't find any..........................
Have you inquired at your local Honda shop for the sealant?
https://www.google.com/search?client...+gasket+sealer

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
Have you inquired at your local Honda shop for the sealant?
https://www.google.com/search?client...+gasket+sealer
Thanks for the advice as others have given me the same for different problems. But going to the local Honda shop is not an option for me. Local shop used to be reliable and and good reasonable priced service. Not anymore, friend of mine used to work there, guy was brilliant. New owner is way too expensive, techs only know about hooking up the computer to troubleshoot. I took mine in a coupla years ago for a carb rebuild and oil change, short story, $600 later, they changed the oil and sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs, had same problem 2 weeks later. I would not go to my local Honda shop to buy a loaf of bread. Overpriced and they will never get my business for anything again. I don't want to offend you but other guys here suggest going to the dealer also, but that I will never do it again, not for anything, parts, nothing, I'm done with them. Ranting I know... Thanks though.
Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer overflows, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice as others have given me the same for different problems. .....
Then find yourself an old school mechanic who is usually chemically tuned in to sealants and additives. Someone who's worked on older British bikes and not me. Not me. Find a quality independent mechanic.

Last edited by tjkoko; 05-12-2019 at 09:12 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did not mean to offend you.
Mother

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
When I removed mine to do my valves, I just slipped them off to the side and didn't drain anything. Not sure how that would work on your bike. Also, didn't use any sealant when reinstalling and have had no issues with leaks.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Use Permatex Ultra Black Silicone (Should be able to find this stuff anywhere even MalWart), glue the gasket to the valve cover, not to the cylinder head.
That way the next time it comes off for a valve clearance check you won't be chasing the gasket around and can keep it in place and just reuse it as is.

You probably know this already, but just use a thin layer of silicone as glue, you are not making a gasket.

Last edited by CSRoad; 05-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I did not mean to offend you.
Mother
NO OFFENSE taken. Not a problem.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
I had the 1971 Triumph Trophy 650 many years ago, got it brand new, wanted the Bonneville duel carb, couldn't afford it. I remember the oil tank was in the frame tubes.
Mother

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 AM

Model: Non Shadow 1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing Interstate, two cyl. transversive "twisted"twin
Year: 1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow
Garage
If you want Hondabond this can replace the gasket,clean the cover surface and head surface.lightly tighten ,wait until cured then proper torque values.Put a drop on a piece of paper to see when it's ready.https://4into1.com/genuine-hondabond...liquid-gasket/

1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow,1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing,1980 AMF Roadmaster w/Minarelli V1 moped.."It's the journey not the destination" Ravens Roost Overlook milepost 10 Blue Ridge Parkway,Virginia

Last edited by Steve C; 05-13-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page