Clutch issue causing hair loss!! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Clutch issue causing hair loss!!

Ok, before I pull all of my hair out of my head.... I have a strange clutch issue maybe some one can help with. Just did an engine swap on my '90 vt1100 and everything went perfect until I tried to go for a test ride. The clutch will not engage. When I bolt the clutch slave cylinder on it pushes on the clutch push rod enough that it pushes the pressure plate and disengages the clutch with no pressure on clutch lever. It worked fine on the previous engine, third gear in that engine didn't tho that's the reason for the swap. I looked at the engine that was in it and everything looks the same.. clutch pushrods are the same. I just unbolted the clutch slave from one engine and put it on the other. Any ideas? I spent about 3 hours yesterday trying to figure out what's going on with it and got no where..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
Have you tried bleeding the clutch slave cylinder?
Being a 90 if there's some corrosion or gunk blocking the vent on the master cylinder , air pressure in the vent cavity won't let the fluid return to the master cylinder.
I'd take the top off the master cylinder pull the gasket and clean the cover, and flush the old fluid out of the system.
Remove as much fluid from the reservoir and pour in fresh brake fluid, open the bleeder on the slave to relieve any possible pressure close the bleeder, pump the handle to build pressure hold the clutch handle in and open the bleeder then close it before releasing the handle, then repeat pump hold bleed close release, do this till the fluid is clean coming from the bleeder but make sure not to completely drain the master cylinder.
Hope this helps.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Have you tried bleeding the clutch slave cylinder?

Being a 90 if there's some corrosion or gunk blocking the vent on the master cylinder , air pressure in the vent cavity won't let the fluid return to the master cylinder.

I'd take the top off the master cylinder pull the gasket and clean the cover, and flush the old fluid out of the system.

Remove as much fluid from the reservoir and pour in fresh brake fluid, open the bleeder on the slave to relieve any possible pressure close the bleeder, pump the handle to build pressure hold the clutch handle in and open the bleeder then close it before releasing the handle, then repeat pump hold bleed close release, do this till the fluid is clean coming from the bleeder but make sure not to completely drain the master cylinder.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response!

The master/slave cylinder both were rebuilt and cleaned about 2 months ago and both worked perfect with the other engine. The slave was unbolted from the old engine and bolted to the new one. It was never disconnected from the master cylinder. I did check it and it was fine.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Did you replace the engine with the exact same year?
If not, maybe they changed something slightly.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
If it won't release it has to have pressure build up.

Is there any reason the lever is not free to allow some free play before it hits the plunger and piston?
Most of the time it is caused by the tiny return port getting clogged but if you just rebuilt the master that would be strange to have it happen already. But just check to be sure it is open. I use a sewing needle to clean out that port. Many guys don't see it at first .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master cyl small port - resized.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	262570  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Did you replace the engine with the exact same year?

If not, maybe they changed something slightly.
As far as I can tell the 87-95 are all the same as far as the engine goes. I bought the bike from the previous owner and he had done an engine swap because he couldn't get the engine to run correctly which turned out to be a carb issue. As far as I know I'm putting the original engine back in the bike.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
If it won't release it has to have pressure build up.

Is there any reason the lever is not free to allow some free play before it hits the plunger and piston?
Most of the time it is caused by the tiny return port getting clogged but if you just rebuilt the master that would be strange to have it happen already. But just check to be sure it is open. I use a sewing needle to clean out that port. Many guys don't see it at first .
I thought the same thing, but the master/slave worked perfect on the other engine. The slave was not removed from the bike during the engine swap. I had it together and apart several times yesterday and I swear it seems like the pushrod is to long, but it can't be. The pushrods out of both engines are exactly the same. I have to take a closer look at the clutch tonight and make sure there's nothing funny going on with it.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:18 PM

Garage
Open up your bleeder, compress the piston into the slave, reinstall the slave, and bleed it.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 PM

Make sure the push rod is proper length, and try bleeding the pressure like has been suggested.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage
Have you inspected the clutch disc pack, somewhere down the line did anyone need quick parts and take disks, springs etc, or purposely messing with it, or is it not assembled correctly, or just totally burned out.
Just throwing things out there that you might not have thought to check, that's how I troubleshoot, unknown engine, are all the parts still inside it, someone mean decides to do a little sabotage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page