Still could use some advice 2003 vt 600c - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT600C
Year: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
One good thing is that it is related to the 10 amp ignition fuse and only past the ignition switch. So hopefully you have a manual with a wiring diagram.

Here is one I found of the ignition circuit. First out of the switch it goes to the fuses.

The power goes out of the ignition fuse directly to the ignition module and to the handlebar switches. Did you work on any wiring up there?

Then it goes out of the kill switch to the coils. So if you start unplugging each section it can help find the shorted spot.
i have not touched anything up there, but, back in September when i had similar issue, my mechanic traced it to the ignition module and replaced it. I will try what you suggested, oddly enough its raining today, it never rains this late in May in San Francisco! Worst comes to worst i take bike in on the 21st for the cosmetic damages caused by someone tipping it over and he will figure it out. lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Since the ignition module seemed to be a problem and was replaced, you might want to go to it and examine all the wiring around it for damage. And unplug the module and then turn on the key and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't you narrowed it down.
When it tipped over did any battery acid spill out on to near by parts?

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT600C
Year: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
Since the ignition module seemed to be a problem and was replaced, you might want to go to it and examine all the wiring around it for damage. And unplug the module and then turn on the key and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't you narrowed it down.
When it tipped over did any battery acid spill out on to near by parts?
No, i just took that battery out last week and put the new one in and did not see any damage to it. it had just started being an issue when i took it in for damage assessment ( i did not report to insurance for a few weeks thinking i could just put a new mirror on and replace the back turn signal my self, but since it feel on the left side i would have had to replace the clutch....OMG! the clutch handle hit the ground hard enough to snap the rear view mirroe off at the base...mmmmm....any way, it was when i took it in for that assessment and told him it was starting to sometimes not start that he noticed that the regulator was going bad, and we decided that when i took itin for the repairs he would take care of that then. he cautioned me to ride as little as possible and to ride with the high beams on all the time and not to hook it up to a charger. 2 days later it died, and here we are. lol. as isaid its raining here today in 20 years it has not rained this late into may once, until today! so no electrical system work outside today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page