Still could use some advice 2003 vt 600c - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT600C
Year: 2003
Still could use some advice 2003 vt 600c

Hi, so I switched out the voltage regulator, and put a brand new battery in. Still will not start, not sure when it happens, but it blows the ignition fuse, either when I turn the key or press the start switch. Could it be the new voltage regulator? I'm going to put the old one back in to see if that changes anything, it is that a bad idea? Also I searched the forums for simalar issues found some the most useful thing I got from them was to check to see how the fuses blew, exploded or melted. Going to bike now will answer that question when I get there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok I got to bike and put in the new 10 amp fuse, connected the old voltage regulator, still wouldn't start. Like an idiot I then reconnected the new voltage regulator and tried to start it, with out checking the fuse first. Still no start, checked the fuse and it has blown. Oh the fuses are with out a doubt exploding not melting.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM

What is the fuse for?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
What is the fuse for?
It's the 10 amp ignition fuse
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
Iím not a bike mechanic, but I used to own a í57 GMC pick-up. When I replaced the voltage regulator on it, I had to polarize it first. I doubt that is your problem, but just thought Iíd mention it as a headís up since I donít know about bike voltage regulators.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
@Cerberus, that was back in the olden days of generators.But when cars went to alternators and especially sold state regulators that went away.

The bike regulator is solid state so no need to polarize.

Does the ignition fuse blow as soon as the battery is connected or when you turn the ignition switch on?

You can disconnect the main regulator connector and see if it stops blowing.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
The regulator is part of the charging system with the stater. The ignition is a different circuit so I don't understand why you suddenly have a blown ignition fuse, unless some of the wiring was interfered with when the regulator or battery was put in. Maybe a wire pinched under one of those?
Or if you had to wire the regulator connections one at a time yourself, instead of a main plug, maybe a green ground wire is connected to where it should not be.

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
@Cerberus, that was back in the olden days of generators.But when cars went to alternators and especially sold state regulators that went away.

The bike regulator is solid state so no need to polarize.

Does the ignition fuse blow as soon as the battery is connected or when you turn the ignition switch on?

You can disconnect the main regulator connector and see if it stops blowing.
It blows when I turn the key to on.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
The regulator is part of the charging system with the stater. The ignition is a different circuit so I don't understand why you suddenly have a blown ignition fuse, unless some of the wiring was interfered with when the regulator or battery was put in. Maybe a wire pinched under one of those?
Or if you had to wire the regulator connections one at a time yourself, instead of a main plug, maybe a green ground wire is connected to where it should not be.
I don't know much, well , anything about bike motors let alone the electrical systems, lol, but this thing has me hooked now. I going figure this out. It makes sense now that it's not the regulator ( even though the old regulator was causing all kinds of problems, over charging the battery, blowing headlights, the ingition module, etc). I guessing it died( no power at all to anything) because the regulator finally killed the battery, when switched the regulator out I replaced the battery, had power again but that's when it started blowing the fuse. First thing I did was check battery connections. At the time I didn't think much about this but when I decided to. Double check how I had the battery connected, as I was removing the positive terminal screw, the screw driver sparked after a few turns, I just assummed It touched something metal near it and sparked. I'm not even sure if that would happen would it? I also didn't mention this because at the time it seemed that I wouldn't be important but the right side cover broke and I had not gotten new ones yet when this started and I was having to run with the bike while straddling it so I could pop the clutch to start it, maybe my legs pinched something? I'm going to my bike now and I'm going to sit there try to figure this out . I have no idea how to find a short but that's what this place is for, right? Someone else has had this exact problem and figured it out and are not mechanics or electricans. Any instructions on how to use find this short to ground would be helpful.
It's gotta be the connection to the battery . That's where I'll start
I'm not a good writer I tend to ramble on using run on sentences or fragments so. I hope this makes sense.
Thank you btw for your advice.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
One good thing is that it is related to the 10 amp ignition fuse and only past the ignition switch. So hopefully you have a manual with a wiring diagram.

Here is one I found of the ignition circuit. First out of the switch it goes to the fuses.

The power goes out of the ignition fuse directly to the ignition module and to the handlebar switches. Did you work on any wiring up there?

Then it goes out of the kill switch to the coils. So if you start unplugging each section it can help find the shorted spot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vt600 ignition.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	262614   Click image for larger version

Name:	600 ignition 2.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	262616  

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in