Honda Shadow Forums banner

Turn Signal issue

9K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  RONW 
#1 ·
Ok, got my lights re-wired and The front LED work with the rear lights not plugged in. The rear lights don't come on at all. parking or turn. I don't have the brake light on yet. Checked all the fuses and they are good. I can't seem to see what I'm missing.

#2 ·
Sounds like you may have them wired incorrectly. Check the wires coming back to the rear signals and see if you have power to them. If so, rewire the rears and try again. Are the rears LED also?

#10 ·
Some here who have gone to LEDs have had to install a diode for them to function properly. My rear turns are the only bulbs that haven't been switched, just to avoid that situation. When I installed LEDs in my front running lights I had hyperflash, but fixed that issue with a 2 wire electronic flasher unit.

#14 ·
Ok, got my lights re-wired and The front LED work with the rear lights not plugged in. The rear lights don't come on at all. parking or turn. I don't have the brake light on yet. Checked all the fuses and they are good. I can't seem to see what I'm missing.

The front LED turn signals aren't supposed to work with the rear lights not plugged in. Go over your wiring and try to find where it's wired up incorrectly.

#20 ·
Took the LED signals back to cycle gear. Asked if they could check them so I can see if its on my end or the lights. They grabbed a battery and the light lit up completely. While on my bike it only had 3 or 20 lit up. Ordered some resistors, we'll see if that fixes the issue.

#21 ·
Both left turn signals are wired in parallel ORANGE to ground, both right turn signals are wired in parallel LTBLUE to ground, that way if you have a bulb burn out you are not completely dead.

Honda wiring of the indicator light strikes again! This was a big issue on the rebel250 forums, folks change out their incandescent turn bulbs for led and get 4-way flashers no matter which side is selected.
It's because the panel light is wired as a short between the orange and light blue wires. Juice goes to the side selected and the bulb gets 12v and lights up, the panel bulb and the other side are in series so each gets 6v, enough to light the panel bulb but not enough to make the 'wrong' side glow.

BUT led's can light up with much lower voltage than incandescent bulbs, depending on which ones, each model is a bit different.
Rear leds acting as flashers is as expected, they can operate at much lower voltage. Front ones working correctly is a rare thing, apparently that model needs more than half juice to light up.

Disconnecting the panel indicator light from the harness should fix the "both sides" blink.
You have a 12v power supply right there on the bike to test the led's that are only lighting half the elements. If the battery can light them completely but the ORANGE or LTBLUE in the harness are lighting half of them, check the voltage on the orange and light blue wires, you are probably not getting 12v.
Attached is a simplified diagram of how this wiring works....and a common solution, a 3 prong flasher that operates the indicator light on a separate leg independent of the turn signal lights themselves. I did that on my honda rebel 250, worked great, I used this flasher from superbrightleds....

Attachments

#23 ·
If you have a "P" terminal on your electronic flasher (port terminal), you won't need to splice in diodes at the idiot light to resolve Led 4-way flashing. The P terminal will independently light the idiot light to let you know that the signals are ON. Connect a new wire from the P terminal to the Left or Right wire on the idiot socket after snipping the oem socket wire in two. Run the Left or Right socket wire, the remaining socket wire, to Ground. When the flasher is activated, electricity will travel from the P terminal to the idiot light bulb than back to Ground and there'll be no path for electricity to cross feed to the non-activated side's signal at the idiot light node. The ends of the wires that were snipped will be live so tape them up. If you don't understand this, request somebody to post a schematic.

#24 ·
If you have a "P" terminal on your electronic flasher (port terminal), you won't need to splice in diodes at the idiot light to resolve Led 4-way flashing. The P terminal will independently light the idiot light to let you know that the signals are ON. Connect a new wire from the P terminal to the Left or Right wire on the idiot socket after snipping the oem socket wire in two. Run the Left or Right socket wire, the remaining socket wire, to Ground. When the flasher is activated, electricity will travel from the P terminal to the idiot light bulb than back to Ground and there'll be no path for electricity to cross feed to the non-activated side's signal at the idiot light node. The ends of the wires that were snipped will be live so tape them up. If you don't understand this, request somebody to post a schematic.

Here you go, Ron. Do your magic on this for us.

#25 ·
#26 ·
ANOTHER reason I use stock incandesent bulbs ;)

LEDs are GREAT! But our systems don`t play well with them...

Glad you figgered it out...

Will be Down for six months,
D

#27 · (Edited)
chuck, what I meant by requesting that a forum member post a schematic was a schematic that displays the re-routed wiring on the schematic itself. I've been working longer hours lately, 4:30am starting time. Why, the company just spent $50K for the sign above the construction site's gate. "If you don't agree with the new hours, then quit. There's 20 people ready to take your job." "No one is gonna miss you, today tomorrow or yesterday." Bring lunch. Bring halo. Anyways the schematic below explains the re-routing graphically which is always more simpler to follow than reading 50 paragraphs on the same subject, at least to me. The P flasher has a second OUT wire with identical off-and-on pulses that the usual single OUT wire has. It actually can be left unused or unconnected and won't affect the flasher's operation. With the P terminal wired to light up the idiot light on the dashboard, the idiot light is isolated from the electricity that flows through the turnsignal. As such, the idiot light is no longer a bridge that allows electricity to cross feed from one side's turn signals over to the non-activated side's turn signals resulting in 4-way flashing (hazards). The electrical bridge only exists when using leds on all 4 turn signals.

In the schematic above, I used the Honda wiring colors on the appropriate wires. For example, the color Orange is Honda's designated color for the left turn signal lights on practically all cruisers. If you dig into your wiring harness and came across an Orange wire, that's definitely the left turn signal wire, and so on (pic below).

#28 ·
chuck, what I meant by requesting that a forum member post a schematic was a schematic that displays the re-routed wiring on the schematic itself. I've been working longer hours lately, 4:30am starting time. Why, the company just spent $50K for the sign above the construction site's gate. "If you don't agree with the new hours, then quit. There's 20 people ready to take your job." "No one is gonna miss you, today tomorrow or yesterday." Bring lunch. Bring halo. Anyways the schematic below explains the re-routing graphically which is always more simpler to follow than reading 50 paragraphs on the same subject, at least to me. The P flasher has a second OUT wire with identical off-and-on pulses that the usual single OUT wire has. It actually can be left unused or unconnected and won't affect the flasher's operation. With the P terminal wired to light up the idiot light on the dashboard, the idiot light is isolated from the electricity that flows through the turnsignal. As such, the idiot light is no longer a bridge that allows electricity to cross feed from one side's turn signals over to the non-activated side's turn signals resulting in 4-way flashing (hazards). The electrical bridge only exists when using leds on all 4 turn signals.

In the schematic above, I used the Honda wiring colors on the appropriate wires. For example, the color Orange is Honda's designated color for the left turn signal lights on practically all cruisers. If you dig into your wiring harness and came across an Orange wire, that's definitely the left turn signal wire, and so on (pic below).

Perfect, Ron. That's what I was hoping you'd do.

Don't you just love working for outfits that go out of their way to let you know how little they think of your efforts to work with pride and feel good about yourself?

It's a strange world, we live in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.