Honda Shadow Forums banner

Basket case

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Welder1 
#1 ·
I bought an 88 vt1100c over the weekend, some one had attempted some custom work and did not do well. I now get the pleasure of undoing their work before I get to do all the things I want to do. I have ordered the new cdi box and wiring harness they butchered, I still need to find a tank (they also ruined it). I am curious what year tanks if any others will be compatible with my bike. I will hopefully have the bike running well idling here soon. I need to get switches and controls put back on it. I will have more questions for sure. I have to get it running though first, and man am I anxious to hear it fire for the first time.

#2 ·
Welcome.

Did you check over the engine to see if it turns, free pistons. compression, etc?
If the engine sat out and got water inside, or is seized otherwise, it may be a bigger $$$ project.

#5 · (Edited)
Thet attempted to chop the tank up and reshape it... The lines don't match, the angles are off and he claimed there was still a pinhole leak before they put the Bondo on. I am going to clean the old Bondo off and see if I can't get it to seal and roll with it for a while. As for the wiring harness, I have one along with a cdi box ready to be installed. In the instructions for the new cdi box something about an interlock, how do I know if I have one on the bike or not?

#6 ·
Not sure what an interlock would be unless it is the kickstand switch. That would be a safety interlock system.

#10 ·
It's a crap shoot to try and fit another year or model tank. The tank listed for that bike is only listed as fitting that year and model. That could just mean the color of the tank was only available that year or it could mean it's shaped differently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.