Speedometer issue - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Speedometer issue

So I was riding my shadow the other day and I noticed that when I passed by one of those side-of-the-road speed reader things I noted that the speedometer was reading 5 mph lower than the speed reading device. I am already going to be taking it apart to attempt to repair my odometer and I wanted to replace the internal light cause it's really dim. While I am in there is there an adjustment to fix this?

I am also going to be replacing the bearing and lining the axles on both wheels. Should I consider replacing the speedometer cable and gear while I am in there?

Can anyone point me at any videos or tutorials involving speedometer repair?

Thanks in advance for any input?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 PM

The speedometer is functioning normally all Honda bikes seem to be around 5 to 10% optimistic.
The occurs with cable operated or electronic speedometers.
AFAIK there is no fix in the meter itself and the odometer is usually closer to accurate.
I have heard rumors that Honda does this for legal reasons, as it seems to affect most bikes that seems plausible.

At this point with my bike I find myself not worrying about the inaccuracy too much. If the speedometer says I'm 10 mph over it's probably 5 mph over, that won't buy a ticket around here.

Some Shadow speedometers have replaceable bulbs, newer ones I gather are LEDs and not replaceable.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 PM

Model: Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDD
Year: 2002
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmymother View Post
...auto and motorcycle speedos are factory calibrated to read 2 to 4 mph faster than you are going. Think of the lawsuits if they didn't do that...
Mother
Your speedo should indicate 5 mph higher not lower.
Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer is full, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmymother View Post
Your speedo should indicate 5 mph higher not lower.
Mother

That's interesting. I don't really look down much but it's a good thing to know.

!999 VT1100C
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:22 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
That's interesting. I don't really look down much but it's a good thing to know.
Also keep in mind that the roadside speed/ radar setups are placed there to act as a deterrent. Where I live, they are pretty common and in my experience display your speed a little higher than actual. I agree with @mother that if you do a timed mile and check your speedo with the mile time you will likely find that your speedo is 5-10% high compared with elapsed time. Use a highway that has mile markers and hold your speed steady. If you ride two-up have your passenger run the stopwatch.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 PM

The GPS phone apps are also pretty good for checking the actual speed.
Just don't be gawking at it at the wrong time.

If you rig a mount to the handlebars it can make a good pretty accurate speedometer replacement.
You can also get apps that monitor other performance such as acceleration etc., if you are so inclined.
I have an older spare phone that I bring along so that all is not lost if my "high tech instrumentation" decides to go flying off the bars, I still have my work phone in my pocket.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Insightful. Thanks guys. I had no idea.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Why are you replacing the wheel bearings?

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page