Doing a big rewire/ little out of my leauge and need a small nudge in right dir. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Model: Aero 750
Year: 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to icecool988
Doing a big rewire/ little out of my leauge and need a small nudge in right dir.

So My main wire harness burned a hole through it, a bunch of wires were messed up, I found a good deal on an exact used replacement for 25 dollars on ebay, but ive run into a couple issues whille getting everything ready, and soldering all my connectors etc.

1. Is there only one flasher relay? and that is normally located in the headlight can right? My bike crashed and i replaced it with a cheap chinese one, and one part I noticed got smashed in the crash was the relay. So i decided to get some LED signals, and a LED flasher module. Only issue is with the new wire harness, everything looks great and I can make sense of it, but I dont see anywhere to plug in the flasher relay??? Can someone help me locate that? attached is a pic of the whole front of my new(old)wire harness. (as well as a complete wire diagram) --- It would only let me attach 2, here is a link to the harness...

2. I am going from a super dim, bottom of the barrell chinese "headlight", which had no bright mode, back to my regular bulb headlight (once I figured out that I could just use the "case/shell" from the chinese one, and put the guts of my OEM one in there. No issues here, but there is a second light that sticks into the headlight can that I dont know the function of and cant find on the wire diagram as well (picture attached) I cant find anything with orange/white/Green as the 2 wires... I guess I can just cap it off and its not a big deal but id like to know.

Thanks so much for the help. I searched and searched before posting but couldnt find anything.

Jay

EDIT - I was able to upload all 3 pics correctly

2005 Aero

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring diag (2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	262858   Click image for larger version

Name:	where does relay go.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	262860   Click image for larger version

Name:	weird second bulb.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	262862  

Last edited by icecool988; 05-26-2019 at 04:19 PM.
icecool988 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Model: Aero 750
Year: 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to icecool988
Maybe the little bulb is something from a previous owner.. I dont see it in this video of my model bike...


icecool988 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 2007 Shadow 600
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 3,358
your turn signal relay is wired to thumb lever on your left handlebar. Either back trace the Gray wire (typical) from the thumb lever upstream to the turn signal relay or the relay looks like the pic below behind the side cover or under the seat or neck cover perhaps.



the second light bulb in the headlight was JB-welded by the previous owner (PO) as a parking light. Is there a aftermarket switch on the handlebar etc to shut off the headlights? The PO might have used the light as a daytime running light. The low filament (running light) on the headlight consumes 55 watts. The parking light bulb probably 5 watts.


2007 Honda Shadow 600

Last edited by RONW; 05-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.
RONW is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Junior Member
 
DanMitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Model: Vt1100C
Year: 1985
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 18
Garage
In some European countries, that second small bulb in the headlight reflector is used as a parking light. When you parked you could remove the key when the ignition switch was in 'park' position, and leave both the tail light and that front parking light on so as to be seen in dark areas when parking.
DanMitch is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
smilie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 6,563
Garage
On my '07, the relay is behind the right side cover toward the front.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
smilie is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Model: Aero 750
Year: 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to icecool988
I made a silly mistake, I found the relay spot it was connected to the actual line coming from the handle I thought the whole time it was on the main wire harness itself.

So that problem is solved, I guess for the little tiny light I will just cap it off and leave it alone? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Should I splice it into my signals so it flashes along with my signals?
icecool988 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Model: Aero 750
Year: 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to icecool988
My next task is trying to figure out how best to wire in this strip for the back I got it has signals on both sides red running lights and then brighter red for breaking. I assume it should be pretty straightforward and we'll splice right in to the normal signal, running light, and Brake wires going to the back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1558927518763496527306145117020_1558927555000.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	262896  
icecool988 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
smilie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 6,563
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecool988 View Post
My next task is trying to figure out how best to wire in this strip for the back I got it has signals on both sides red running lights and then brighter red for breaking. I assume it should be pretty straightforward and we'll splice right in to the normal signal, running light, and Brake wires going to the back
It most likely will wire right up. Just have to ID which wire is which.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
smilie is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Location: Milford, Michigan
Posts: 2,317
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecool988 View Post
So My main wire harness burned a hole through it, a bunch of wires were messed up, I found a good deal on an exact used replacement for 25 dollars on ebay, but ive run into a couple issues whille getting everything ready, and soldering all my connectors etc.

1. Is there only one flasher relay? and that is normally located in the headlight can right? My bike crashed and i replaced it with a cheap chinese one, and one part I noticed got smashed in the crash was the relay. So i decided to get some LED signals, and a LED flasher module. Only issue is with the new wire harness, everything looks great and I can make sense of it, but I dont see anywhere to plug in the flasher relay??? Can someone help me locate that? attached is a pic of the whole front of my new(old)wire harness. (as well as a complete wire diagram) --- It would only let me attach 2, here is a link to the harness...

2. I am going from a super dim, bottom of the barrell chinese "headlight", which had no bright mode, back to my regular bulb headlight (once I figured out that I could just use the "case/shell" from the chinese one, and put the guts of my OEM one in there. No issues here, but there is a second light that sticks into the headlight can that I dont know the function of and cant find on the wire diagram as well (picture attached) I cant find anything with orange/white/Green as the 2 wires... I guess I can just cap it off and its not a big deal but id like to know.

Thanks so much for the help. I searched and searched before posting but couldnt find anything.

Jay

EDIT - I was able to upload all 3 pics correctly

2005 Aero

You'll get more responses if you put the make, model, and year of bike in your user profile. That way, as the thread continues, people won't have to spend time searching through the posts to see what bike you have. Many times, instead of spending time searching to see what bike you have, they will just ignore the thread and move on.

Next, do you have the factory service manual for your bike? The best place to find them is on E-Bay in used condition and they are worth every penny you pay for it. They will show you where all the physical parts of your bike are located.
Chuck_Michigan is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Model: Aero 750
Year: 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to icecool988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
You'll get more responses if you put the make, model, and year of bike in your user profile. That way, as the thread continues, people won't have to spend time searching through the posts to see what bike you have. Many times, instead of spending time searching to see what bike you have, they will just ignore the thread and move on.

Next, do you have the factory service manual for your bike? The best place to find them is on E-Bay in used condition and they are worth every penny you pay for it. They will show you where all the physical parts of your bike are located.

Thanks for the tip, I updated my profile.

I was fortunate enough to find the entire service manual for free online (thats where that wire diagram came from in the OP)!!!

My issue was what seems to be a little after market parking bulb in my headlight, and me being kinda goofy looking for the flasher relay as part of the main wire harness, when it was part of the wire wrap going up to the left handlebar.

I just spent a ton of time re-wiring from scratch my 2 standard rear signals, plus this new LED light strip thing I'm going to give a chance, I just tapped 12v from an old computer power supply and it seems I have everything wired correctly.

Now if it wasnt 98 degrees outside I would be out there getting started....

icecool988 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last One Before The Big Boy Leauge tinyboyblunder Member Introductions 0 06-06-2011 06:04 PM
Rewire issue.... dwmitchell61 Technical Discussion 3 02-15-2010 02:29 PM
Nods as good as wink, nudge nudge! Dragoon General Bike Discussion 6 04-11-2008 08:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome