Wiring for Low Profile Turn signal switch - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Model: ACE 750
Year: 2000
Garage
Wiring for Low Profile Turn signal switch

So Iím trying to clean up the bars a bit on my 2000 ACE 750 and picked up a low profile signal switch. Looking at the wiring diagram I have some questions about what to do with some wires. In the diagram there is a Lb/W wire, a O/W wire and Bl/Br wire (spliced from the horn). My question is: if Iím switching from the stock switches to the low profile switch in the pic, what do I do with the wires? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Calaveray; 06-02-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:12 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Garage
Not enough information. A picture of a switch without any information attached makes it kind of hard to determine exactly what you bought.

Last edited by Chuck_Michigan; 06-03-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
The stripe wires are your front running lights (low-filaments). Your gizmo apparently has only 4 terminals ..... Right signal, Left signal, horn, hi-low headlight, leaving no terminals for the running lights. The way things works in the oem version is that the running light shuts off in activated turn signal for the duration that that side's signal is left ON to prevent both low-filament and high-filament in the same dual filament bulb from being lit up at the same time. Er, the low-filament (running light) is constant ON and obscures the dark moments between the blinking hi-filament if the low-filament is left lit up while the hi-filament in the same bulb is blinking although the blinks maybe distinct enough (passable), just not as distinct. Also, there's a potential heat issue eventually for the bulb's socket if both hi and low filaments are ON the same time in the same bulb, if that makes any sense. There's a nifty switch in the left clamshell that does this (below).

2007 Honda Shadow 600

Last edited by RONW; 06-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
Not enough information. A picture of a switch without any information attached makes it kind of hard to determine exactly what you bought.

Switch is: right-on/center-off/left-on and button is depression initiates horn... the wires Iím concerned about (looking at the wire diagram, lower left) were the grey, black/brown, and the striped orange and light blue

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
Gray is the flasher wire that goes to the stock turnsignal thumblever. Your low-profile switch doesn't have terminals for the stripe wires (front running lights on your front turnsignals). In the stock configuration, the running light switch operates in tandem with the turnsignal switch. In other words, they're a double pole switch. Except this double pole switch shuts off the running light (low-filament) for the turnsignal (high-filament) that is activated so that both low-filament and the high-filament are never ON at the same time in the same bulb via an inverse wiring scheme (refer to my previous graphic). Also, from my side of the computer screen, it appears that your low-profile switch also lacks a terminal for your high & low beam switch for the headlight. The stripe wires can be connected to the low filament wires at their respective turnsignal socket (soldered or crimped). You'll have to add on a high/low beam switch for your headlight.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONW View Post
Gray is the flasher wire that goes to the stock turnsignal thumblever. Your low-profile switch doesn't have terminals for the stripe wires (front running lights on your front turnsignals). In the stock configuration, the running light switch operates in tandem with the turnsignal switch. In other words, they're a double pole switch. Except this double pole switch shuts off the running light (low-filament) for the turnsignal (high-filament) that is activated so that both low-filament and the high-filament are never ON at the same time in the same bulb via an inverse wiring scheme (refer to my previous graphic). Also, from my side of the computer screen, it appears that your low-profile switch also lacks a terminal for your high & low beam switch for the headlight. The stripe wires can be connected to the low filament wires at their respective turnsignal socket (soldered or crimped). You'll have to add on a high/low beam switch for your headlight.

Awesome, thanks for all the info! I wasnít too worried about the headlight, I have other plans for those. I got everything ďworkingĒ but had to let go of the running lights on the turn signal. Everything is running and signals work as intended.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page