Tire Life/expectancy 5 to 6k? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Model: Spirit
Year: 2012
Tire Life/expectancy 5 to 6k?

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Just wondering how long do tires normally last you guys?

Do you normally go though more rear tires then front, maybe 1 front to 2 Rear or some odd ratio?

Last Summer I had my rear replaced. Only had 1k miles but the hole was to bad.

Anyways. Fast forward, I have put 4k miles on it, and I am guessing by the wear (center) i have 1 or 2k left tops.

So is 5 to 6k good or bad for a rear tire?

I am not a speed demon, I ride around town allot and get out on the weekends and cruise.
I don't do burn outs.

The tire is a Dunlap. I just feel that is bad mileage for a tire.

Also the Front tire on the bike had 5k and still looks to be in great shape.

What Brand of tires do people like on their Shadows?

Wondering what I should consider.
Pretty sure i am going to try something other then Dunlap.

Was thinking maybe Bridgestone or Pirelli, however i am just looking i am not set any brand yet.

Rides from the past.

Honda Z50R (1982) wish i had this one still.

Honda XR 100 (82 ish)
Honda XL175 (1974)

Honda Rebel Limited Edition (86) (future restore planned, engine still runs good)
Honda Fat Cat (really dads but I rode it allot)
Yamaha 250 (2017)Vstar (recently sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM

I just got 10000 out of my last tire it was a kendra. I usually get between 8-10 out of a tire used different brands they all lasted about the same. I have a 1100 spirit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Model: VT750CDA
Year: 2003
On my 03 750 ACE, I normally go through 2 rear tires before replacing the front (17k miles average life on rear tires) I prefer Bridgestone's over Dunflaps, I’m currently running the BridgestoneExedra Max, maintaining proper inflation is key to tire life

"03" 750 ACE Performance Mods:
Cobra 2-2 slash cut exhaust w/baffles
DynoJet Stage 1 jet kit
Solid state, rotary fuel pump W/press. regulator
Stock air box W/K&N air filter
External crankcase breather
4 deg. timing mod
Barnett heavy duty clutch springs
18T Primary 38T Rear Sprocket

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
I went with Pirelli Night Dragons. I don't care about mileage but I ride pretty aggressively, more important to stick than how long the tire lasts. I've put 2,000 miles on my tires since last fall and they are wearing very slowly I see no problem getting 8K out of them. Maybe more. They stick well to everything. I have a VT1100 BTW.

!999 VT1100C
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Garage
I've gotten 8-12,000 miles on Dunlop tires. Just Changed out a set of Michelin Commander IIs that I got a little over 16,000miles on each. When the rear wore out i went with a Shinko 777 on the rear and stuck with the commander II on the front. About 4-5000 miles on the Shinko and i'm already seeing pretty good wear. I don't think it will hold a candle to the Michelin as far as mileage. When it's shot, i'll be going back to a Commander II.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 AM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
I went with Pirelli Night Dragons. I don't care about mileage but I ride pretty aggressively, more important to stick than how long the tire lasts. I've put 2,000 miles on my tires since last fall and they are wearing very slowly I see no problem getting 8K out of them. Maybe more. They stick well to everything. I have a VT1100 BTW.
Your mileage will largely depend on your riding style and tire compound. I'm with @CoreyP , favoring a softer compound tire with shorter life expectancy, but excellent grip. Around town, there is usually more cornering, and for me more grip while cornering is worth the reduction in "mileage". Also keep in mind "aging", not just miles. Your tires have the week and year of manufacture stamped on the sidewall as a 4-digit code "wwyy" (e.g. 2208 would indicate week 22 of 2008. Even if there is no visible weather checking or other adverse indicators, depending on climate factors, like FL heat, you would want to avoid continuing to run "older" tires (say, 8-10 years, depending). When you buy tires, inspect the sidewall dates to ensure your dealer is selling you their "freshest" stock.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 AM

Year: 1994
Garage
Most tend to get double the mileage from front tires vs rear.

Tire life depends on a lot of factors. What works for one may not work for another.
Type of bike (remember, the "Shadow" name has been used since 1983 on bikes ranging from 125cc to 1100cc, shaft and chain driven), weight (of bike, rider, gear, do you do a lot of 2 up riding), speeds ridden, road conditions (smooth asphalt, rough concrete, dirt roads, potholes, etc), weather (hot temps decrease mileage), driving conditions (lots of start/stops wears tire out faster than steady cruising), maintenance (checking pressure and tire balance), and tire construction (radial, bias ply, tread compound etc).
Oh, and the throttle, brake and downshifting.
While I am not a "speed demon" I do get on it pretty hard getting up to speed many times, and I do chirp the rear tire a lot downshifting without the clutch as well as doing a lot of engine braking.

Was the tire a Dunlop 404? If so, that is the problem. Lots of complaints about them not lasting.
My bike came with 404's on it front and rear. No idea how many miles on the tires (only 7500 miles on bike, but tires were not original, bike is a '94, tires were made in '07). Tread looked decent when I got it. Within 2,000 miles, they were getting smooth.

Shinko tires (777 and 230) are very popular and are OK mileage wise (but are an inexpensive tire), as is the Kenda Kruz.
You will get a lot of opinions, most based on personal use, some on hearsay.
Perilli, Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzler, Continental all have tires that have good reviews, and bad ones as well.
I was leaning to either a Shinko 777 or Perilli MT66 (what I ended up with on the front) when looking for tires, but ended up going darkside instead.
Now I don't worry about mileage.

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks, allot of good suggestions.

I agree/understand the more grip a tire has the fast it will wear.
This dunlop doesn't seem very grippy.

I am going check the model per what Blupupher suggested.

when I brought, it was an unexpected rushed purchase. I had to drop my bike off and be out of town. I in short told the guy to quote me some mid tier tires, something he would recommend for a family member. Maybe I should have said for a family member you like.

I might get more then I am thinking out of it, there is still some center tread left, but I will be monitoring it.

I am 300 plus, but don't double , except the rare trip I take my wife for a quick couple miles down the road and back. She didn't grow up around motorcycles and isn't really into them.

Rides from the past.

Honda XR 100 (82 ish)
Honda XL175 (1974)

Honda Rebel Limited Edition (86) (future restore planned, engine still runs good)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Blupuphe, you nailed it. It is a D404.

it has 4k right now on it. I am certain i can get it at least 1k more. beyond that all bets are off.

Going to start making plans for a replacement. not going to get caught with my pants down again.

again I understand preformance and reduced tire life. trying for a good balance.

I will post again when i get to the final milage on this D404.

Rides from the past.

Honda XR 100 (82 ish)
Honda XL175 (1974)

Last edited by vontar; 06-13-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM

Year: 1994
Garage
Being in the 300 lb range myself, that does not help tire life.
At one point, I was technically over the weight limit of the bike (mine is an 1100) just by myself, and would often do 50 mile trips with my 140 lb daughter on back, putting it over 500 lbs.

The problem with the 404 is it does handle OK in the dry, and for bikes only ridden 2000 miles a year in fair weather, it does OK, so people think "it is the stock tire and should have good life being a Dunlop (they make some amazing race tire for sure), but they are not known to be high mileage tires, and wet performance is mediocre (especially the rear, my front 404 was not to bad in the rain).

As you said, you now have time to research what exactly you want to get, compare prices, and hopefully find something that works for you.

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page