Baffles too quiet. No baffles too loud. Holes? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow VT1100T
Year: 1999
Baffles too quiet. No baffles too loud. Holes?

Well the title covers it pretty good but to give a little more information, I currently have V&H exhaust, which does sound a lot better than the stock pipes but it's still too quiet for my liking, and removing the baffles makes it too loud IMO. What do you guys think of drilling a hole or two in the baffles? Will I get a deeper/meaner sound to it, or more of a tinny sound? Will I see any kind of performance loss or gain by doing this?

Only other mods are K&N filter and stage 1 jet kit for now.

Side question: Where could I find a performance cam for my bike? I want more power on the highway, especially since I can really tell a difference when there are two of us on the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
Do your baffles have fibreglass batting wrapped around them?
If so taking it off will make it louder.
Or do lollipops, there's a YouTube vid about making and installing them.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 PM

@Ranma is right modding what you already have may help and that may be as simple is removing packing or shortening the baffle tube.
Lollipops are turn-able/tune-able for sound, but I've always wondered about the effect on flow at the quiet end of things, they are really little more than a throttle butterfly.

There are also tons of aftermarket baffles out there, BigCityThunder seems to get good reports, they are expensive and I don't know what they offer for your particular pipe.

Cams: I think both Web Cams and Megacycle Cams have grinds for the VT1100, probably hard welds on your existing cams, no idea what to expect for a power increase.
They would tell you.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Do your baffles have fibreglass batting wrapped around them?
If so taking it off will make it louder.
Or do lollipops, there's a YouTube vid about making and installing them.
Yes they do have that fiberglass. I considered removing it before but wasnt sure if they served another purpose or not. I'll give that a try when I have a free moment, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
@Ranma is right modding what you already have may help and that may be as simple is removing packing or shortening the baffle tube.
Lollipops are turn-able/tune-able for sound, but I've always wondered about the effect on flow at the quiet end of things, they are really little more than a throttle butterfly.

There are also tons of aftermarket baffles out there, BigCityThunder seems to get good reports, they are expensive and I don't know what they offer for your particular pipe.

Cams: I think both Web Cams and Megacycle Cams have grinds for the VT1100, probably hard welds on your existing cams, no idea what to expect for a power increase.
They would tell you.
Never heard of lollipops until now, quick Google search showed a few different styles so it's basically just something for the sounds to bounce off of and create a lower/deeper sound?

Thanks for the recommendations for the cams and aftermarket baffles, I will definitely be looking into the cams at least.

Have you or others here used their cams in these bikes with much success?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:30 PM

Both Web Cams and Megacycle are well respected in racing circles and have been in the business for years.
I've considered but have yet to pull the trigger on a cam swap for my VT750, but so far I haven't managed to coordinate riding season, spare time and funding as required.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
Both Web Cams and Megacycle are well respected in racing circles and have been in the business for years.
I've considered but have yet to pull the trigger on a cam swap for my VT750, but so far I haven't managed to coordinate riding season, spare time and funding as required.
Called up Web Cams yesterday, they said it's $602 and I would see a power increase in the mid and highs
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM

@ $600 for a detuned 1100? The performance will probably be nil. Also decreased gas mileage and the fun of retuning again. BTW you will probably will not enjoy the louder sound after spending a couple hours running 70 mph plus. The twin pin motosr aren't the most pleasing sound @ higher rpm's but we all have our sound thresh hold. I'd play with drilling the baffles and/or play with the packing.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
Called up Web Cams yesterday, they said it's $602 and I would see a power increase in the mid and highs

What do they consider a power increase? Did they give you any numbers?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Model: VT750C2F Spirit
Year: 2009
Please dont' take my work for this, google "the myth of backpressure"
Exhaust pipes, crossover pipe, muffler and baffles, are tuned to a given engine like a church's pipe organ. At low to mid-low rpms each 'plug' of exhaust traveling down the pipes actually draws a partial vacuum in its wake efficiently scavenging the exhaust at the head. Altering this tuning spoils the exhaust scavenging leaving some excess exhaust behind in the cylinder to spoil the next stroke. The effect is losing some torque at low to mid-low rpm. It is mistakenly attributed to "not enough back pressure" on the theory that opened up pipes exhaust better, but that is actually the opposite. With the pipes de-tuned the scavenging is not as efficient and the backpressure goes up.
Now the bike will run fine enough, but if you want the best performance, do your research on aftermarket that has been specifically engineered for your model.

Last edited by Kryton; 06-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I'll reply to the rest of you when I can sit down inside.

Here are three videos; the first is the bike with the V&H pipes as is, second with the fiberglass wrap taken off just one (trying to see if I like it) and the last is with the baffle removed from one just to give an idea. Any negative effects if I remove the wrap from just the one baffle?

The sound is definitely louder, but unfortunately without the wrap it sounds like I lose that deep rumble as it revs down. What do you guys think? Honest opinions only please. I normally dont care, but I dont want to be that douche who thinks his ride sounds great when it actually sounds awful (riced out Civic drivers for example)

I've also never used vimeo before so lmk if this doesnt work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page