Honda Shadow Forums banner

More motorcycle, more problems? Part 2

803 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Kouji 
#1 ·
Well I was going to try and save this for the technical thread to keep from bringing these problems to the introduction area but here we go, cause theres more. lol

"Welcome. When it acts up, stop and drain the fuel from the float bowls to see how much comes out. If not an ounce or so it may be staving from a bad fuel pump. Add some Seafoam to see if that helps at all."
Fuel pump has been tested and proven to be operating. You can see fuel going to the carbs, and i've drained the bowls trying to clear the 87 out for the 93. My f4i took 87 which is why i didnt think anything of it. Owner said he was told to put high test in, though. I can only assume thats just this 1100. but i've seen all sorts of places that it should be fine with 87. and I mean, it made it the whole trek on it. But getting home and now having problems, i'm trying to eliminate whatever possible issues i can at this juncture. I didnt measure too hard when it drained the bowls but i'd like to think about that much came out.

I was also told by the original owner that it took a turns to get it started. Mentioned that in the cold he doesnt touch the throttle or the choke. Gets it started and just lets it warm up. All fresh fuel and the bike hasnt been sitting. He mentioned he'd take it out on 3 hour trips with the wife occasionally and rode it a few times a week. The only issue is he'd put oil in it occasionally. It does have a bit of a leak from the valve covers but that'd be a crazy valve cover job since its like an upper head it seems.

"More than likely stale old fuel but I would also check and make sure the battery is being charged. If the voltage drops enough it can cause the same symptoms"
Fuel is definitely fine, and the battery has been replaced.

Things that have been done (hopefully in this order, iirc):
-87 fuel drained and replaced with 93
-Spark plugs replaced
-Stator/rectifier tested good
---Test ride when bike died---
-getting no spark, replaced failed ignition coils with used coils. they tested out of spec.
-got spark, but then had trouble with fuel by this point. removed carbs and cleaned ports. minimal to no gunk, but sprayed anyways.
-noticed a pilot screw had escaped somewhere somehow on the left carb(to rear cyl iirc). replaced pilot screw. I did a dumb here and reset them both to 2.5-3 turns out. should've left the front cyl one alone.

while messing with it to tune it and get it started again, apparently the used coils died pretty immediately. yay old used parts... so we replaced them with aftermarket coils(similar to: this one) but no dice. It was a long shot but we got nothing from it. it didnt even try. this one has a slightly similar design so we are going to try this one, as well. Kinda running out of options at this point and i was able to return the first ones so heres hoping.

My guy is almost at a loss. we can see fuel moving to the carbs, we HAD spark. If these coils dont work, the next part we are looking at is the pickups. now THOSE havent been tested yet but thats where we're at.

Thoughts? lol new coils to try will be here Monday

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
*****1986 VT1100C*****

This thing is constant throwing me for a loop. My buddy seemed to diagnose the last issue the bike was having. There was a poor connection at a connector for the spark signal. He repaired that connection and it fired right up. We put the bike back together and I rode it home.

Sorry for not keeping up on this. Work has been hectic and homelife has been busy. Now that its home I can put more time on it and check whatever pops in my head.

SO the bike made it home. We started it after the connector repair, quick test run for a couple miles to top it with gas, then left for my house. The 23 mile trek home was AMAZING. The bike was flawless, even better than when i rode it home the first time. No power issues at WOT, it had full power all the way through which I havent been able to experience on this bike yet. No sputtering, no one cylinder nonsense. When i arrived home i noticed she had gotten a little hot to the point of steaming because the fan didnt kick on. I guess it built up some heat after getting off the interstate and the earth pretty much melting right now and no extra fan cooling didnt help.

Later that evening I wanted to pay a little more attention with what was going on with the fan issue so i rode it around. Blasting down the back streets, again the ol girl was running like she was in her prime, full of spirit and energy. I couldnt get it to heat up enough for the fan to kick on apparently so i parked her and slept happy that night.

----THE NEXT DAY---- (last night)
Coming towards the next day's evening I wanted to take the lady on a little run around the block since i havent got to get her on the back yet since i've had it. Get the bike warmed up and off we go, but the bike sings its one cylinder song yet again.

Like we never fixed a damn thing, its back to sputtering and running on one cylinder. (cant remember which one) but literally nothing has changed. Sits overnight once then wakes up with an attitude.

When i get home today i'm going to check under the seat and look at the wirings and connections, i'll test coil resistances to see if we somehow managed to burn the coil up, but I'm running out of ideas other than throwing the whole thing in the backyard.

PLEASE, any thoughts, ideas, possibilities, or any productive input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I can take pictures and tests of whatever needs testing or its picture taken.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help. I got it all fixed up now. The wire at the connect we repaired had to be the only ignition issue. After riding it home it had overheated because the fan didnt kick on. I apparently missed my buddy saying there was no coolant in the tank when he looked in. I saw him look in and didnt think anything of it. Topped it off and bled up and she runs like a charm.

Now to get the fan kicking in which should just be a switch and we will be good to go.

#8 ·
Test the fan operation by grounding the wire from the fan to the sensor switch unit on the bottom of the radiator. With key on it should make the fan run. If it does replace the sensor.If not look at the fuses first.

#9 ·
Yeah, I was really confused why it randomly had this problem arise with the fan. Grounding the circuit didnt kick it on but the fan was good.

I had a stinkin suspicion and of course when i pulled off the tank back at my place, I found the connector not connected. Since i'm mostly sure connectors dont work that way, so i plugged it back in with high hopes and put her back together. I'm pretty sure it was just an oversight when my buddy was putting things back together. it was sitting in his garage from a lot longer than we was hoping so i'm sure he was just excited to get it out of there.

So final verdict, everything works. No problems. Its been a hell of a few months dealing with it but this is my second day riding it to work so i'm just happy its all sorted. Thanks folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.