Can’t get this thing to run, not sure about text steps - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT500C
Year: 1986
Can’t get this thing to run, not sure about text steps

Been awhile since I’ve gotten to take a crack at getting the bike running(‘86 VT500C), and looking for some help. Here’s where I’m at...
Carbs rebuilt, new plugs, oil, choke cable, battery, air filter Fuel valve was leaking, replaced petcock and fuel valve Spark tested successfully
Now - it seems that if the choke is open and I open the throttle up, sometimes I can get it started and keep it running if I keep the throttle open at 5-6kRPM. If I let off the throttle it sputters out and will definitely not start at all using just the choke.
I think next I’m going to try removing the tank and hook up a fuel line so I can get at the carbs while trying to start it, but not sure where to go from here. The fact that I have to have the throttle open so much and even then it will only start sometimes - is it running way too lean or not getting enough air somehow? And one last mystery - the last time I turned it over while working on it yesterday- heard a ‘splat’ noise and there was a small puddle of gas under the bike, sounds like the bike spat the fuel onto the floor - but couldn’t tell where it came from - the fuel lines going into the carbs were dry.
Learning a lot on this project, but looking for help on where to go next. I’ll have time to go back at it this weekend. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 AM

It sounds like too much fuel, check your carb float valves for proper adjusment.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Yes I agree with y`all on too much fuel/not enough air from what I read also...
BUT?? Where to from here??
I`d drain the carb bowls and refill with KNOWN GOOD FUEL...

Sounds like it`s "flooded" so Yeah, check float levels, AND IF the floats are working correctly & shutting off fuel when they`re s`posed to...
I see>
Our Gurus are on it,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 AM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpayson View Post
Been awhile since I’ve gotten to take a crack at getting the bike running(‘86 VT500C), and looking for some help. ........
As a kind suggestion please list your motorcycle in your avatar.

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Yeah, it helps to know what bike it is

I don`t display signatures, so those who have that in theirs I don`t see...
BUT A Flooded situation is generic,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramie View Post
It sounds like too much fuel, check your carb float valves for proper adjusment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
Yes I agree with y`all on too much fuel/not enough air from what I read also...
BUT?? Where to from here??
I`d drain the carb bowls and refill with KNOWN GOOD FUEL...

Sounds like it`s "flooded" so Yeah, check float levels, AND IF the floats are working correctly & shutting off fuel when they`re s`posed to...
I see>
Our Gurus are on it,
D
I’ll have to do some research on how to check the float levels, not quite sure how to do that. I understand how to get at the floats, but not sure how I’ll be able to tell if they’re working correctly.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Can’t see an option to do that on my phone, I’ll check on the computer and see if I can update it that way
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:16 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpayson View Post
I’ll have to do some research on how to check the float levels, not quite sure how to do that. I understand how to get at the floats, but not sure how I’ll be able to tell if they’re working correctly.

I'm confused. In the first post you stated that you rebuilt the carbs. Did you actually pull them, disassemble them completely and rebuild them or just run some cleaner through them?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

I rebuilt them - completely disassembled and put back together. Cleaned everything and installed new gaskets

Last edited by Mpayson; 06-25-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Additional detail
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Let's rule out bad fuel.
I just spent 8 hours on a 24hp Briggs Intek engine cleaning carbs, fuel solenoid, yada yada yada, I could not keep it running... Finally I ran some fresh fuel from a gas can to to the fuel pump and it ran started / ran great. Bad fuel was my whole issue.

1: Drain carb bowls, catch fuel in two separate cups so you can measure if they both drain the same level, they should be similar.

2: Hook up some fuel line to a gas can or even a small container that holds fresh gas, hook to the intake side of your fuel pump, and let's see if you can get it started/running.

On my lawn mower, with the bad fuel, the mower would run if I put the output fuel line direction into the top of the air intake of the carburetor, and let it pump into the carb, but the engine would not run with the bad fuel going through it's normal route of the carburetor. Bad fuel can throw you for a loop.

-andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page