100/90-18 or larger? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT500C
Year: 1983
Garage
Question 100/90-18 or larger?

Used to remember tire charts and what you could get away with in various applications...but danged if I can remember that stuff nowadays

A 1983 VT500C takes a 100/90-18 tire on the front, Rear is a 130/90-16, but how wide can one go, really??
I'd like to get a wider tire, but can't remember the formula to do so without having to change the fenders.
Also wish to go as wide as possible on the rear...knowing that the rear is hampered by the driveshaft...so a little guidance there as far as size doesn't hurt either

So the simple question is, who has gone to a wider size on a VT500C, what size was it, and how did it work out??

I've decided to go with either Shinko 230 Tour Master's, or Pirelli MT66's. So at least that part is easy.

My riding style is basic cruise, with occasional forays into sand and dirt.

Highly tempted to go DARKSIDE with the rear...but don't think one can with that dinky rear size...not to mention the clearance issues.

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Model: VT600
Year: 97, 95, 92 , & 88
Garage
FWIW a 250 Rebel takes a 90/90x18 front tire and when folks go to a "wider" tire they end up with fender clearance issues on the 110/90 size. Based on that my guess is with 100/90 being the stock size, you could probably go to the +10 route (110) without issue but a +20 (120) might cause the clearance problems that Rebel owners see.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer"
Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2019, 09:53 PM

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r16-130-90r16

Clearance will have to be determined by yourself.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 07-05-2019 at 09:59 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-06-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r16-130-90r16

Clearance will have to be determined by yourself.
That's the calculator I needed! Thanks!

That website lists all the standard dimensions, which gives one a good guideline to start, then one can contact the MFR's of specific tires to make sure those mm dimensions are correct

After perusing the Shinko 230's sizes, found out the 110 is $9 more for that extra 10mm's...lol

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Not sure why you would want to go wider on the front, but on the rear you can get away with a bit more added width. My VT750DC came stock with a 150/80-15 rear tire and went to a 170/80-15 with plenty of room to spare, and could have gone to 180/70-15 easily. Some have even said you could go to a 200mm rear tire, but be careful to check your clearances. If you want to go wider on the back, but keep the same overall height, you can go to a lower ratio (2nd number), and it will even out to about the same. You just need to make sure you won't rub when you hit a really hard bump on the fender and that the tire will clear the chain/drive without special spacers.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Going with a taller front tire can help with the notorious speedo error that most metric bike have.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Model: VT600
Year: 97, 95, 92 , & 88
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
Some have even said you could go to a 200mm rear tire, but be careful to check your clearances.
That 200 is designed for a 5" wide wheel, if you shoehorn it onto the stock 3" wheel it will only balloon out in diameter like a Mack truck tire instead of the desired wider tire most folks are going for.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer"
Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
That 200 is designed for a 5" wide wheel, if you shoehorn it onto the stock 3" wheel it will only balloon out in diameter like a Mack truck tire instead of the desired wider tire most folks are going for.
You could still do the 200mm rear tire, but you'd probably have to go with either a 5.5" VTX or a VT1100 wheel, or an HD wheel. I just know I went to a 170 on mine with the stock wheel, and I know guys who put a 180 on theirs with the stock wheel.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
Not sure why you would want to go wider on the front, but on the rear you can get away with a bit more added width. My VT750DC came stock with a 150/80-15 rear tire and went to a 170/80-15 with plenty of room to spare, and could have gone to 180/70-15 easily. Some have even said you could go to a 200mm rear tire, but be careful to check your clearances. If you want to go wider on the back, but keep the same overall height, you can go to a lower ratio (2nd number), and it will even out to about the same. You just need to make sure you won't rub when you hit a really hard bump on the fender and that the tire will clear the chain/drive without special spacers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
Going with a taller front tire can help with the notorious speedo error that most metric bike have.
And BOY do I have that...it shows that I'm rolling at 75 when I'm around 60...so the plan was to max out height & width on the front. Rear will just be as wide as it can fit around the driveshaft.

Do love a big fat front tire...being in Florida we get a lot of wet riding...and the more of a contact patch you have, the better. So used to go as wide as I could front and rear. Got dropped hard once in a sudden downpour, about 15 minutes into it...gently applied the brakes to do a slow stop and it still
dropped me like O Sensei. Fat tires were manditory after that....solved the issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page