Need mechanic in tulsa, ok - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT500 Classic
Year: 1985
Desperately need some help finding a mechanic in Tulsa that is willing to work on a 1985 Shadow 500,so far I am just
S.O.L. finding anyone willing to. I'm really afraid I just purchased a huge headache not knowing what I was doing buying an older bike, starting to regret my decision! Know I have some Carb issues, scared to think if something else goes wrong with the shaft drive or ANYTHING ELSE I'll have a hunk of inoperable junk in my garage....
PLEASE HELP, ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Model: VT 700
Year: 1984
What issues are you having? Maybe it’s something that can be fixed on your own

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
The shaft drive will be probably the last thing that will give you trouble.
Does it start and run at all?

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes it starts and runs, took it for about a half hour test drive before I bought it, rode fine on the way home. Had a lot of trouble starting last night, there is a delay in the throttle that makes me wary of riding it in much traffic. Runs fine on the highway though. Assuming it has some carburetor issues. I know absolutely NOTHING mechanically about bikes... None of the local dealers will even work on it for any reason other than putting the new tires on...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 AM

Garage
That's a good beginning. Try some Seafoam in the gas and maybe that can help the hesitation without taking off the carbs.

Is the factory intake tubing all still on it?

You may have to learn the starting technique for your bike. They all have a different procedure that can take experimenting with. Go easy with the choke till you learn the secret.

Maybe new spark plugs is a good investment.

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Seafoam was my next step. I wouldn't know the difference between factory tubing and aftermarket to be honest with you. I rarely use the choke as it seems to only flood it out, same with my Honda rebel...
This morning it took CONSTANT action on the throttle to keep it running for a short bit, finally died out. 😣 Going for new spark plugs now.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Model: VT 700
Year: 1984
How does the gas tank look. That’s a battle I’m dealing with right now. My main tank is fine, but my aux tank is in bad shape. Just a bunch of crap in it that is contaminating my gas. We have similar year bikes, mines a 84 700. Not sure if you have the auxiliary tank. But that seems to be the root of my issues.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

ENGINE PROBLEMS in tulsa, ok

I'm so dumb I'm not even sure mine has an AUX tank, looks like it does just by looking down inside there. Finally got it started this morning, had to choke it all the way to get it to fire. Has lots of power, but really wants to die when I show down, like at a stop sign. Have to keep on the throttle and clutch. Seems like it's idling too slow. Can that be adjusted on an 85 without disassembling anything? If so can someone please tell an idiot like me how to do it? Thanks for the replies!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
Yes easy to get the idle speed up. A large black plastic headed screw on the left side- screw it in to increase speed.

And easy to adjust the mixture screws also. They are on the sides if the cover plugs have been removed they can be seen below the throttle shaft area. A small screwdriver and turn them gently out a 1/2 turn to see if that helps the idle also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idle adjust.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	263994  

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Model: Non Shadow 1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing Interstate, two cyl. transversive "twisted"twin
Year: 1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow
Garage
Start with something you can do.turn the gas petcock off, at the petcock output take the gas line clamp off then the line off of it.Put a clear container under it to catch gas,turn the petcock slowly to reserve not to on,this will bring out the gas from the bottom off the tank,when it gets nearly full turn the gas off and look at what is in the container,if you see anything other than gas you need to drain it all out.If you see things in there they will be in your carburetor fuel bowls to and they will need to be drained.There should be a bolt on the bottom of the fuel bowl at the bottom of the carburetor, draining these is the only way to get any dirt out.This is just a start it is not cleaning anything just seeing what might be wrong in your fuel system.This would be a good time to change or add a fuel filter the size of your fuel line.

1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow,1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing,1980 AMF Roadmaster w/Minarelli V1 moped.."It's the journey not the destination" Ravens Roost Overlook milepost 10 Blue Ridge Parkway,Virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in