Honda Shadow Forums banner

Fuel Brands and Gas mileage??

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eagle-Eye 
#1 ·
is is possible to get better gas mileage with different brands of fuel?

using the same octane # by different brands..

I usually use Exxon gas and get on average 39 mpg in my 2005 VT1100 shadow spirit.

But the other day I was on reserve and the closest thing was a Shell station. Filled up and then when I got back into my hometown it was time to fill up again so did the math and I got 42 mpg out of the Shell tank of gas.

I don't think I changed my riding or throttle habits either..

Anyways, Just curious??

thanks!

#2 ·
I havnt noticed much on my bike, but my MPGs have been all over the place due to gremlins that I've been working on removing.

However, a few years back I had an '02 Eclipse GT and the brand of gas made a big difference in MPG. I got an average of 4mpg more with Mobil Regular (car said premium only, but I always had worse gas mileage with it and most of the people in may car club found the same, and ran regular as well) I always have used the better gas stations, only using Arco or no name stations as a last resort

-Johnny

#3 ·
Eagle-Eye said:
is is possible to get better gas mileage with different brands of fuel?

using the same octane # by different brands..

I usually use Exxon gas and get on average 39 mpg in my 2005 VT1100 shadow spirit.

But the other day I was on reserve and the closest thing was a Shell station. Filled up and then when I got back into my hometown it was time to fill up again so did the math and I got 42 mpg out of the Shell tank of gas.

I don't think I changed my riding or throttle habits either..

Anyways, Just curious??

thanks!
Yep, it's absoutely possible and very probable.

Different formulations of the additives will definitely affect mileage.
Some vehicles will like one brand and others won't.

The octane rating is standard and will be the same across the board (providing the same means to measure is the same).

My bike doesn't really care what I use... and gets the same just about
all the time.
My truck on the other hand will get much better mileage from using
the HESS station 5 miles away vs. using the QT or other station 3 miles away.

#4 ·
All gas comes from the same pipeline. Probably any gas station in your town, the gas came from one of several local gas pipeline spickets. The only difference is additives and age of the gas.

Said another way. All gas comes from teh same gas piplelines regardless of vendor. Texaco and Shell all fill up their tankers from the same gas from the same spicket, from the same gas depot. Additives are added after or while the tankers are filling up.

Additives do make a difference.

Age of the gas does too. I ran out the other day and filled up with my lawnmower gas that's been sitting in the garage for a couple months. Kind of rough! So, if your gas station has a high turnover of gas, chances are it's gas is "newer".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.