AGM Batteries on E-bay. Junk or worth the savings? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

AGM Batteries on E-bay. Junk or worth the savings?

I'm looking at getting an AGM battery for my 86 Honda Shadow 1100 as a replacement for the old T style. I'm looking at Yuasa YTZ14-S, but while searching E-bay came across a couple generic brands. One doesn't cite a particular company, the other is EBC (European Battery Company). Has anyone tried these out? All the specifications are listed as the same as the Yuasa.
Also, if anyone has had any problems in getting these to fit as a replacement for the T-style I'd like to hear that as well. I read an earlier post about the replacement and that's how I was informed of this particular conversion. Great info!!!! I don't like messing around with battery acid in the first place. Thanks!

1986 Shadow VT1100C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 PM

I have a T battery also and would like to replace it with a size I could get on the road if something went wrong, AGM batt's are with out a doubt better than a lead acid but the only AGM I've seen mentioned on the forum is the UCTZ14S, maker unknown, you can Google the it to find out more info, it's the size that you gotta watch and this one is supposta fit in the upper area of the T, this Batt actually has more CCA than the OEM so it should be OK.

Ted
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM

i wouldnt trust any thing but a Yuasa!

at least there you know what you are getting......quality!

dave r

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Replacement Battery for Honda Shadow

I have also been looking for a replacement battery for my 1995 Honda Shadow. The upper portion of the T style battery is:
5 7/8 X 4 3/4 X 3 1/2 inches.

At this website I found the following batteries www.bikebatts.com

YTZ14S Bike Batts AGM
Sealed Maintenance Free 54.00 plus shipping

YTZ14S Xtreme Volts AGM
Factory Sealed Activated Maintenance
Free. Shipping Free 69.00

The size given for these two batteries is approx.

150MM X 110MM X 87MM which is pretty close to the above measurement.

They also have the YTZ14S YUASA AGM FOR 135.00 and free shipping.

Hope this might help.

1995 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
STUPID HURTS!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM

There's other battery makers besides Yuasa that build a LOT better battery than Yuasa, the reason I say this is because Yuasa had more complaints about there batteries than anybody has ever had, MCN, Rider, and CW all have addressed Yuasa about the battery issues to no avail, they choose to ignore the problems, and were talking about hundreds if not thousands of complaints, for what ever reason, buy Yuasa at your own risk.

Ted
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW 1100T
There's other battery makers besides Yuasa that build a LOT better battery than Yuasa, the reason I say this is because Yuasa had more complaints about there batteries than anybody has ever had, MCN, Rider, and CW all have addressed Yuasa about the battery issues to no avail, they choose to ignore the problems, and were talking about hundreds if not thousands of complaints, for what ever reason, buy Yuasa at your own risk.
Na, i dont think so!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM

To each his or Her own, that's what makes the world go around

Ted
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Batteries

have purchased 3 agm batteries from batteries plus and they were all junk.got a yuasa agm 8 months ago and is is 1000 times better than the others. you get what you pay for
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Garage
Yuasa makes good batteries but the T-shaped ones have proven to me that they are awful. I don't know if anyone could make a good one.

The $54 BikeBatts AGM caught my eye a while back but a couple of guys have complained about miserable service from them so I'm a bit wary pending a positive endorsement.

Off-brand batteries aren't such a big concern but I'd want to know something about the manufacturer before buying one. I'd be reluctant to get anything from China, but that's primarily due to concerns about polluting. (Not that I can necessarily determine where any particular battery has been manufactured.) Logic leads me to conclude that European-made batteries could only be cheaper if they were manufactured in former Soviet-block countries (or China); I'd stay away from them over pollution concerns, too.

eBay can be a good source; I bought my AGM on eBay for just over $50 -- a Honda-badged Yuasa that was brand new, in the box. It will be going into it's 3rd season soon and has already outlasted each of the T-shaped batteries that I've bought. (And I bought my bike new.)

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 PM

my 2001 OEM Yuasa was in the bike 5 years. it started the bike last winter even after it had sit for 6 weeks. I only took it out because after 5 years i wasnt sure of it any more. eventhough it still started the bike ok. I still keep it charged up and use it as a back up and RC airplane battery. Iam on my second year now with another Yuasa Battery. it started the bike after it sit in a shed for 5 weeks over the winter some nights 10 below zero. i wouldnt buy anything else.

BTW it is a YTZ14S Yuasa

dave r

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page