Oilology - Page 36 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:45 AM
Member
 
Lupus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Model: VT750 C2f Fuel Injected and shaft driven shadow spirit
Year: 2009
Location: A wet place...
Posts: 121
No one heard about this oil of course
They seem to be (seem..) a big thing here in the UK, but the company does not have a wikipedia page even and the fact that many UK bike websites listing them as cool might only be backed by the fact that Putoline sponsores all the biker shops, and biker websites... And sells it's products everywhere. I couldn't find any review that is not written by a reseller, nor any professional comparison. Only commercial BS.

But hell, this is the oil I've got. the JASO MA standard should be a guarantee that this is good for wet cluthes.


"Quocunque Jeceris Stabit" - Yep. Because somehow, some way, I'll always manage.

Lupus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #352 of 360 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Model: 600
Year: 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MN
Posts: 25
New to the bike world..great read. I just bought a 2002 600 and the miles were cleared, this helped me decide between synthetic or conventional.

Bill Winckler is offline  
post #353 of 360 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Location: Milford, Michigan
Posts: 2,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Winckler View Post
New to the bike world..great read. I just bought a 2002 600 and the miles were cleared, this helped me decide between synthetic or conventional.

Great! So what did you decide to go with?
Chuck_Michigan is online now  
 
post #354 of 360 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Model: 600
Year: 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MN
Posts: 25
I bought GN4 10w-40. It seemed to be the safest choice.
Bill Winckler is offline  
post #355 of 360 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Location: Milford, Michigan
Posts: 2,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Winckler View Post
I bought GN4 10w-40. It seemed to be the safest choice.

Same stuff I use in all my bikes. I buy it by the case on Amazon for $78 plus free shipping.


https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda...onda+gn4+10w40

Last edited by Chuck_Michigan; 08-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Chuck_Michigan is online now  
post #356 of 360 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:06 AM
Member
 
ChiefGBSnyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Model: VT700 (running a 1983 VT750 engine)
Year: 1985
Location: Kinsman, OH
Posts: 38
Garage
**Disclaimer: I also posted what I am asking below in a shaft oil thread... one I realized after posting was last looked at in 2007.**

While I realize that this thread is about motor oil, I am here asking about a different kind of oil: final drive gear oil. As far as motor oil is concerned, I am trying the T6 Rotella when I give her her first oil change since my purchasing her. Enough about that, though; my question is about my final drive.

The original shop manual for my 1985 Shadow (that has a 1983 VT750 rather than the 700 in it) calls for 90W hypoid, GL-5. I would like to go to synthetic, and have found a few different ones/brands.

So, with that being said, I'll ask: any recommendations on brand, and is it imperative that it says hypoid if it says GL-5? I also see ones that are "high pressure" (Liqui Molly (dino oil, it seems), that says both "hypoid" and "GL-5" and is 85W-90. Well I am just confused and unsure.

Let's face it. She's a 1983 and had 31k miles on it when I bought her. I need to make sure I am doing the right things for her so I can get years of enjoyment from her. Frankly, I am a little frightened of screwing her up from doing any little thing wrong with her.

Thanks in advance everyone.

"Beware the man who does not talk and the dog that does not bark." - Cheyenne proverb

===========================

1985 Honda Shadow VT700C (refitted with a VT750 engine)
2003 Honda XR80R
ChiefGBSnyder is offline  
post #357 of 360 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Location: Milford, Michigan
Posts: 2,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGBSnyder View Post
**Disclaimer: I also posted what I am asking below in a shaft oil thread... one I realized after posting was last looked at in 2007.**

While I realize that this thread is about motor oil, I am here asking about a different kind of oil: final drive gear oil. As far as motor oil is concerned, I am trying the T6 Rotella when I give her her first oil change since my purchasing her. Enough about that, though; my question is about my final drive.

The original shop manual for my 1985 Shadow (that has a 1983 VT750 rather than the 700 in it) calls for 90W hypoid, GL-5. I would like to go to synthetic, and have found a few different ones/brands.

So, with that being said, I'll ask: any recommendations on brand, and is it imperative that it says hypoid if it says GL-5? I also see ones that are "high pressure" (Liqui Molly (dino oil, it seems), that says both "hypoid" and "GL-5" and is 85W-90. Well I am just confused and unsure.

Let's face it. She's a 1983 and had 31k miles on it when I bought her. I need to make sure I am doing the right things for her so I can get years of enjoyment from her. Frankly, I am a little frightened of screwing her up from doing any little thing wrong with her.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I understand your concern. It's common to want to do every little thing right for your new to bike. I still do the same thing even after 55+ years of riding.

You have two choices, and two choices only.

1) Ask people what they use and hope like hell it works for you. Keep in mind you don't actually know anything about the people giving you advice on what to use.

2) Read your owners manual, which was put together by the people who built your bike and use what they say you should be using.

I don't give advice. The choice is yours and yours to make alone whether you go with 1 or 2 above.
Chuck_Michigan is online now  
post #358 of 360 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
swifty2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Location: Washington State
Posts: 10,033
Garage
Don't stress over the exact oil. 35 years ago oils were simple and not as well formulated as today so keep it simple. I use this Valvoline. A good quality oil is fine.
How many times do people change their diff oil in their older car or truck? And that has a lot more horsepower working hard against the gears.



https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...Quart/23325574

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
swifty2014 is online now  
post #359 of 360 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 10,852
I use Valvoline synthetic gear oil in my Sabre. Synthetic is less prone to foaming in cold weather.
jpr1968 is offline  
post #360 of 360 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Member
 
tbm5690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 71
Garage
Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 for the past 4-5 years or so on mine, no issues.



2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100
Holesaw & crossover mod pipes ǀ Slipstreamer windshield ǀ 6" pullback risers ǀ Viking bags ǀ Lindby highway bar ǀ driver floorboards ǀ ISO grips w/ throttleboss ǀ passenger peg extensions ǀ driver backrest ǀ tank pocket ǀ luggage rack ǀ wired push-button garage door opener ǀ clock ǀ HID headlight conversion ǀ LED tail/brake and speedo lights
tbm5690 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Read Oilology: Oil and Filter for a VT750DC? magnus Technical Discussion 10 02-22-2009 09:17 PM
Re: Oilology Cue-Ball Technical Discussion 12 02-07-2009 09:43 AM
Oil Question not covered in Oilology Sticky FVC3 Technical Discussion 12 12-09-2008 06:14 PM
Updating the Oilology Thread MarkC General Bike Discussion 2 07-27-2008 11:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome