83 vt750c temporary fuel pump bypass - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

83 vt750c temporary fuel pump bypass

I'm going to start my new project for the first time this weekend. My starter is getting rebuilt and will be ready Friday. My fuel pump is bad but I'm pinching pennies until I hear it run. I've cleaned the gas tanks & carbs and will be changing fuel filter and all the lines. Anyway, I should be able to route a temporary line from the main tank to my carb inlet to get it running right? I'm assuming so, just checking for any possible issues or reasons why it wouldn't work. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 AM

The only reason for the fuel pump is that if you tip over the tip over switch will shut off the pump, it a safety issue, it will work just fine.

Ted
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 AM

is that tip over switch in the relay or in the pump?

1988 Honda Shadow VLX

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 AM

Neither, it's somewhere else and I don't know where on your bike it might be but if you have a manual it will tell you, if you by pass why worry about it, it will only shut off the pump.

Ted
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM

I've never run across a tip-over switch, but I could be wrong about it not existing. The fuel pump stops when the engine stops. Usually the engine stops when the bike tips over.

--Justin

Currently Running Stable:
2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM

The fuel pump is needed on your 83 Shadow because most of the fuel in the tank is lower than the carbs. It should gravity feed as long as the tank is full or almost full. You would not want to ride the bike with the pump bypassed but it should work long enough to get the bike running.

Something else you could try is to get a large syringe from a horse doctor and fill the carbs with gas via the fuel line. It should start and run about a minute with the gas that is in the float bowels. I used to do that on the KLR so I could start it with the valve cover off. I was checking to see if there was sufficient oil flow to the cams.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM

fuel pump

I don't think that there's a tip-over switch. Pump's there because of the tank heights vs. the carbs. Syringe idea may be better because the huge line on the main tank will have to be stepped down to a decent size to fill the carbs. Took me a while to figure out why that output line was so large...

Shadow- the sensible way to handle a midlife crisis
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM

fuel cut-off relay

There is a tip over switch, called the fuel cut-off relay, under the right side cover. I bypassed it on my son's '84 VT700 3 years ago and it's still working just fine.

2005 750 Aero
1997 Spirit 1100

Just remember that wherever you go..... there you are!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM

On the older Shadows, the fuel cut-off relay gets a signal from the ignition system. If the engine is running after tipping over, the fuel pump will still run. If the engine stops, the fuel pump will stop even when the key is still on. With the relay bypassed, the pump will run until the key is turned off.

Many newer bikes have a tip over switch in one form or another. Harley has a “Bank Angle Sensor” that shuts off the ignition if the bike leans more than 45 degrees to either side. On fuel injected models, it shuts off the fuel pump also. It’s tied into the Turn Signal Security Module.
I watched a guy tip over a large touring bike, Kawasaki maybe. It would not restart until someone told him to turn off the key for five seconds. That’s the same way the Harleys must be reset.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the replies. Yah, that dang fuel line coming off of the main tank is big. I was going to use my aux tank to do the temporary bypass. It's currently off the bike.And no, I won't be riding it that way. I just haven't heard this bike run yet and I want to spend as little as possible until I hear her purr. .............BUT that syringe idea sounds great. I may go that way. Hope she purrs so another Shadow can come back to life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page