Handlebars a little askew...How to cure this? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Handlebars a little askew...How to cure this?

Ok, a couple of years ago I dropped her in the yard. Wet grass. No problems, no damage, but the handlebar is now ever so slightly askew. I never even noticed for a good while after it happened. Have since just left it alone since it really isn't an issue riding. Now I find I grow weary of looking down at this slightly crooked bar, so does anyone have any tips as to how I can safely straighten this little problem out? The bar isn't actually bent BTW. I'm sure lots of others have seen this little problem, so what to do??? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Without loosening the risers and adjusting that way - you can push the front wheel up against/alongside a tree or wall and turn the handlebars incrementally harder in the direction they need to be adjusted (wheel will remain stationary due to contact with immovable object).

We used to do this on dirt bikes frequently after coming off them. If we went too far we would just switch sides of the tree and repeat.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Model: Spirit 1100 / Valkyrie Interstate
Year: 2001 / 2000
Garage
If Chuck's suggestion doesn't work, it's a pretty easy fix using only one tool - a 6mm allen wrench.

Pop out the chrome plastic caps on top of both risers. Dental floss, a pick, or a very small screwdriver works well for this. Loosen the four allen screws just enough to break the torque loose, but not enough for the screw to become loose. You should now be able to tweak the bars in the risers, looking across the bars at the top bridge of the triple trees for alignment. Once they're lined up nicely, retighten the allen screws and replace the caps.

Good luck,

CB

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Remove the caps from the handlebar clamps with a knife (carefully) and loosen the allen bolts under them. (You will want to hold the bars when you loosen the bolts.) Once the clamps are release...the bars will spring back into the correct alignment. Re-tighten everything and reinstall the caps.

Joe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM

But is the bar itself bent?

1985 VT700C, ready for duty.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraxion
But is the bar itself bent?
No, the bar is not bent. Thanks all, I reckon I can fix the problem from here.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

One more question please. So ok, I loosen those bolts and straighten my bars. Sooooooo, what about tightening them back down? Is there a torque setting, and do I need borrow a torque wrench for this? Or just tighten them to as hard as I can go.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM

Should say in your manual, but tight them about the same as you loosened them.

1985 VT700C, ready for duty.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Go with chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1
One more question please. So ok, I loosen those bolts and straighten my bars. Sooooooo, what about tightening them back down? Is there a torque setting, and do I need borrow a torque wrench for this? Or just tighten them to as hard as I can go.
I'd go with Chuck, kick the handlebars back to the original straightness.
If you loosen, it becomes loose... unless you torque it back to 124.44232 Nm with a Nasa tool.

Swissrider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page