Fuelology - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Maybe that's why Honda recommends it, some engines need it, my ST 1300 for example, and some don't, using what Honda says to use gives you the most bang for the buck.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW 1100T
Maybe that's why Honda recommends it, some engines need it, my ST 1300 for example, and some don't, using what Honda says to use gives you the most bang for the buck.
Yeah Honda recommends 86(or higher).

My Toyota Camry recs the same, but pings at WOT with 87.

Both my mustangs recs the same, but ping at WOT bone stock with 87/89.

Seems hit or miss, i always figured the 110 degree heat and humidity down here had something to do with it.

I'm just glad my bike is running smooth.

-Premium

2010 Shadow Phantom
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to MMC369
'86 vT500c

So someone said the 80's Shadows were ment to burn "premium".
Should I be burning a higher octane gas?
It runs damn well on 87.
Will I see any improvment in power and/or MPH?

'86 500 Shadow

THX AJ

Wish Indianapolis were in the tropics.

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to MMC369
'86 VT500C

Sorry, I ment MPG.

Wish Indianapolis were in the tropics.
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 PM

More Fuelology

I'm no expert but I've played with different octanes. (Next step will be brand of fuel. It's all the same stuff but their additives can vary.) So I tried 'em all from 87-93.

For me and my 2001 VT1100C it's a toss up between 87 and 89. If I could run 88 that would probably be perfect. The vibration at 70mph is almost non existant with the 87 but I think she starts a little rougher. I'm still getting to know her cold, warm and hot starts so it could be me. There's definitely a noticeable difference in the vibration with the 89 octane.

I just started to watch gas mileage now. Might be losing some with the 87 octane. Will advise...

It's not the destination...It's all about the ride!
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:12 AM

Why use dc fuel transfer pumps?
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude72
Why use dc fuel transfer pumps?
I have no idea? Don't know what a DC fuel transfer pump is or what it's used for. In the electrical world, DC usually means higher voltage and less amperage to run the same equipment. Suggest you ask the experts.

It's not the destination...It's all about the ride!
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 AM

Has any one know What is dc fuel transfer pumps? And Why use dc fuel transfer pumps?
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM

On the topic of Ethanol, on my CX forum there has been a great deal of discussion about the effects it has on 28 to 30 year old technology machines and carbs. Many there are doing everything they can to avoid it, even to going to a small local airport to buy general aviation gas *not JetA fuel*. Not every state has full mandate on the E10, so if you want to find out if you can get non-ethanol fuel near you, try this LINK. Running the base level of octane recommended by Honda is always best, no matter what the year. In my case, both bikes will get standard 87, and I'm about 30 miles from the only non-ethanol station here.....have not gone out of my way to get it. But I noticed a big (read negative) mileage and performance difference in my CX when we got the E10 here. I expect to clean carbs and fuel system more frequently while using it.

Just some thoughts.
Joel in the Couve

click me.
'88 VT1100 Shadow Spirit (hers) 24+k miles
'82 GL500I (mine) 12+k miles
Gremlin bells via Kathy M. *eternal thanks*

Last edited by ramprat; 03-20-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: To add word for clarity
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprat View Post
On the topic of Ethanol, on my CX forum there has been a great deal of discussion about the effects it has on 28 to 30 year old technology machines and carbs. Many there are doing everything they can to avoid it, even to going to a small local airport to buy general aviation gas *not JetA fuel*. Not every state has full mandate on the E10, so if you want to find out if you can get non-ethanol fuel near you, try this LINK. Running the base level of octane recommended by Honda is always best, no matter what the year. In my case, both bikes will get standard 87, and I'm about 30 miles from the only non-ethanol station here.....have not gone out of my way to get it. But I noticed a big (read negative) mileage and performance difference in my CX when we got the E10 here. I expect to clean carbs and fuel system more frequently while using it.

Just some thoughts.
Joel in the Couve
I can't say I blame anyone for trying to steer away from fuel containing fuel. The auto manufacturers are starting to pressure the government now, more and more, to stop this non-sense. They got the E-15 blocked that the government was pushing for... let's hope that they can make this retroactive to E-10 also.

With that said, running AV gas in a late model vehicle isn't a good idea either. Yeah, it' a 'better' quality of fuel and has no alcohol, but it does still contain lead. Leaded fuel in a modern engine will eventually cause problems, such as build up... and will flat out ruin a catalytic converter, which some newer motorcycles have...

Gasoline is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking... NITRO is for racing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page