Carb Sync and carb adjustments - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Carb Sync and carb adjustments

I'm trying real hard to make sense of the carb adjustment instructions for my Hondas'83 VT750C and '03 VT1100C2. Can somebody reccomend a Carb Adjustment and Sync summary I can work with. There gotta be a easier way than what I see in the shop manual.
I have almost everything I need, but I still need to work out a fuel supply. I picked up line restricters today at the auto parts store for $1. Connections were purchased from Mark. Thanks. I'm planning on using Stabil as a medium for my home made manometer. (As Mitch posted.)
Any other recommendations or cautions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 AM

You really don't want to use Stabil in the meter because it way to thin you need something like tranny fluid that's thicker so it won't bounce so easy and trust me it will bounce, that's why they use mercury in the models sold, it heavy and doesn't bounce that easy but even heavy as it is it still bounces, the restrictors will help but it still will bounce.

About syncing the carbs, it not going to be much different if at all than the manual and you will need a 90 deg screwdriver for the front carb and there not cheap, motion pro has one but Google it and find one that less expensive.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...4__hex_driver/

Ted
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 AM

Install port adapters and cap them.
Warm up the bike to operating temps.
Park Bike and remove fuel tank and set next to bike.
Attach Auxilliary fuel supply to petcock.
Remove caps from port adapters.
Install manometer and hang unit over the bike.
Start bike and let idle, watch the fluid in the manometer, if one side creep up to the top and looks like it is going over the top immediately turn off bike.

To adjust *with bike off* look between the frame at the carb. Open the throttle wide open, you will see the adjustment screw rotate from facing forward, to right up to your line of side. Use a med-long flat blade screw driver to adust.
If the sync is way out turn adjuster about 1/2 turn.
Restart bike and verify you turned the adjuster in the correct direction.
Repeat until you are within a couple inches of fluid in each tube.
Rev the bike slowly to about 1/2 throttle.
Repeat adjustments steps until you are a couple inches apart in the fluid tube.
Check idle again - I usually go for a good average between the two speed settings. But I can usally get Idle with in 2-4 inches and mid throttle steady and not creeping too much as I increase revs.

Keep in mind the fluid is much lighter than mercury and is more accurate, so don't frustrate over perfection. Close is good enough.

Hope that helps - it takes longer to read this than acutally do it, once you have done it once or thrice.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. One thing I want to add is that I want to do idle mixture too. That is the part I understand least from the manual. It's a long series of steps that seems like it should be easier.
Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbjr
Hope that helps - it takes longer to read this than acutally do it, once you have done it once or thrice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid
Thanks for the help guys. One thing I want to add is that I want to do idle mixture too. That is the part I understand least from the manual. It's a long series of steps that seems like it should be easier.
Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbjr
Hmmmm, all you are doing with the mixture adjustment is adjusting the idle mixture. I haven't done it according to the manual though - not sure I have read about it in the manual - so there you go.

My method has been to gently seat the mixture screws and open them 2.25 turns each, go for a ride and if it pops on decel, open them both another 1/8 to a 1/4 turn until the decel popping stops (assuming the popping is caused by a lean idle condition) or is tolerable for you.

The nature of these bikes is not such that you are going to gain or lose to much with perfection. More like tuning a tractor if you want to put it in perspective. (IMHO this is the beauty of the the shadows)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page