Questions on using the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool 08-0135 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
CJH

Questions on using the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool 08-0135

Replaced my chain on my 2006 VT750DC today using the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool. The teeth on the sprockets looked pretty good, meeting the criteria on the manual, so I didn't replace the sprockets. Had no problem at all with breaking the old chain or breaking the new one (I ordered 122 link but for some reason received 130 link) and I had no trouble riveting the new master link.

I did however have some trouble using the tool to push pins through the side plate of the new master link prior to riveting. Problem was when using the Press Plate with the Motion Pro tool, I didn't know how to align it with the master link pins, since they are hidden from view by the tool. There are 2 openings in the Press Plate, and I assumed they were for the 2 pins of the master link. After trying this unsuccessfully a couple times, I aligned one hole of the Press Plate with a pin adjacent to the master link and one hole with one pin of the master link. This seemed to work, and then I did the same think on the other side of the master link...so I guess I figured it out, unless there is a better way.

Also, I am afraid I may have distorted threads on the Extractor Bolt. While trying to figure out how to push the pins through the master link side plate, I tried pushing the Press Plate with the Extractor Bolt (not per the instructions). Before I did this, the Extractor Bolt would screw in very easily by hand when no load was applied. After I tried this (unsuccessfully), I have to use a wrench to screw the Extractor Bolt in when no load is applied. I assume I distorted the threads, but I don't see how. The instructions say you can use an air impact wrench on the Extractor Bolt, so it would seem to be able to take a lot of force. I think the tool is still perfectly usable but I won't know for sure until next time I try it.

Anyway, I got the job done. If anyone has any insight into what I did wrong, I would very much appreciate your comments.

'06 Shadow Spirit VT750DC, Candy Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page