LED Flasher fix ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

LED Flasher fix ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In most states the dot has a certain speed that your turn signals can flash,
and on most motorcycles if you change your turn light bulbs to LEDs your
flasher relay will not work or will flash to fast .
LED turn light bulbs draw very little watts and most flasher relays require
heat of two light bulbs to cycle the flashers, they are called thermal flasher relays, and
thay will not work with LED light bulbs
here is a $10. fix for the "Too fast flasher"

First find your flasher relay on your bike and remove it , look on the bottom and see if it has two prongs or three.
Most bikes will have two you will need to go to your auto parts store and get an "electronic flasher" (EL12).
For 3 prong you will need electronic flasher (EL13).
I went to @[email protected] auto parts and in the aisle with the interior light bulbs was the ten dollar flasher.

The plug for the original flasher was smaller the the new one so i got some solder less connectors and
some spare wire, and on the bottom of the flasher there are plugs one marked with the "X" , and the other with an "L".

I plugged the "X" into the side with the +12volts and one marked with the "L" into the other one (load). and
for the three prong type , the "P" is connected to the indicator light.

tape it up out of the way

what do you know ,,,,, IT worked.

2006 VTX 1300C candy black cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to bikerpaul
I followed your directions and had no problem getting my LED's to work properly. I sure saves time and money from going either the resistor method, or buying the adapter for around $28.00. Thank you.

1997 Shadow 1100 Spirit
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Slip-on mufflers
Cobra (DynoJet) Stage 1 Jet Kit
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

your welcome . just trying to help.
I should add that this doesn't work on the VTX1800 bikes that have a 7 or 9 wire flasher.

2006 VTX 1300C candy black cherry

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I plugged the "X" into the side with the +12volts and one marked with the "L" into the other one (load). and

I have an 83 750 with a 3 prong flasher, I went and purchased a new electronic 3 prong flasher. Like you said I connected the power to X, the load to L, but when I connected the 3rd wire to the 3rd P prong I blew the fuse. So I tried it without connecting the 3rd wire and everything worked. Is there any reason that I need to connect the 3rd wire? Can I just leave it unconnected to the flasher?

83 Honda Shadow VT750c
Erin Ontario

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 AM

That's a good idea

I upgraded to LED last spring and the shop sold me a "Load equalizer" for each side. Left and right. Your solution makes more sense. These load equalizers ground out the wire to the LED with a resistor to the frame increase the amperage draw to make the stock flasher work. Talk about a wasting the efficiency of LEDs. I might switch over to your solution if I ever get around to adding a light bar.

Check out the LED conversion of the stock turn signals. I clear lensed them to get this effect and the Brake, Tail light and Turn signal functions all in the stock turn signal housings. Had to add relays to each circuit to get this flash pattern.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9222512...7594364276411/
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Model: 750 ACE Dlx
Year: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtolman
Quote:

I have an 83 750 with a 3 prong flasher, I went and purchased a new electronic 3 prong flasher. Like you said I connected the power to X, the load to L, but when I connected the 3rd wire to the 3rd P prong I blew the fuse. So I tried it without connecting the 3rd wire and everything worked. Is there any reason that I need to connect the 3rd wire? Can I just leave it unconnected to the flasher?
I did this years ago when I installed a trailer converter on my bike to turn the rear signals into brake/signal/running lights. This mod too (like the LED mod) causes the flasher to flash too fast.

Without the "P" terminal connected it won't indicate if a bulb is burned out. Typically, with the "P" terminal connected, if a bulb burns out, the indicator light stays lit continuously (instead of flashing) when you turn on the turnsignal. Without the "P" terminal connected, the indicator light will continue to flash even if the bulb is burned out..............
So; make sure you check your bulbs on a regular basis. That's what I do!
BTW, I've had an "EL13" flasher installed on my 750ACE since about 1999. That's about 10-years without an issue.
Phil

1998 VT-750 ACE Deluxe

Sterling Heights, Michigan

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Quote:
Quote:

I did this years ago when I installed a trailer converter on my bike to turn the rear signals into brake/signal/running lights. This mod too (like the LED mod) causes the flasher to flash too fast.

Without the "P" terminal connected it won't indicate if a bulb is burned out. Typically, with the "P" terminal connected, if a bulb burns out, the indicator light stays lit continuously (instead of flashing) when you turn on the turnsignal. Without the "P" terminal connected, the indicator light will continue to flash even if the bulb is burned out..............
So; make sure you check your bulbs on a regular basis. That's what I do!
BTW, I've had an "EL13" flasher installed on my 750ACE since about 1999. That's about 10-years without an issue.
Phil
Thanks that helps. Know any reason why connecting the 3rd wire would cause the fuse to pop?

83 Honda Shadow VT750c
Erin Ontario

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Model: 750 ACE Dlx
Year: 1998
Quote:
Thanks that helps. Know any reason why connecting the 3rd wire would cause the fuse to pop?
Not 100% sure, but I think it has something to do with the way the indicator lamp is wired on motorcycles.

On a car, the indicator lamp is energized by making and breaking the positive side, and is actually energized by the flasher.

On a motorcycle, it's done by making and breaking the negative side. The flasher doesn't supply power to the indicator lamp.

So, when you connect that third wire on your bike using a car flasher, instead of energizing the indicator lamp, you're connecting the positive directly to ground causing a short and the fuse blows.
Phil

1998 VT-750 ACE Deluxe

Sterling Heights, Michigan

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Quote:
Not 100% sure, but I think it has something to do with the way the indicator lamp is wired on motorcycles.

On a car, the indicator lamp is energized by making and breaking the positive side, and is actually energized by the flasher.

On a motorcycle, it's done by making and breaking the negative side. The flasher doesn't supply power to the indicator lamp.

So, when you connect that third wire on your bike using a car flasher, instead of energizing the indicator lamp, you're connecting the positive directly to ground causing a short and the fuse blows.
Phil
Thanks again, good to know stuff.

Rob

83 Honda Shadow VT750c
Erin Ontario

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 PM

I just search and read your post (great stuff). I have a question, I tired putting leds in today and i got some weird results. One, when i put my rear led 1156's in and the stock fronts. The new rears started blinking fast. I understand why after reading your post. My second issue is; with the led 1156's in the rears, i put the 1157's in the front and after i did that all 4 turn signals started blinking like harzard lights. Anyone ever heard of that? If so , would this fix my issue??? thanks for your input...

About the mod. Is this a add on or do you unclip from something and then add this low watting adapter?

Trying i to put these on a 97 Honda Shadow Ace 1100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page