Honda Shadow Forums banner

Choke not coming out all the way?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm not very good at the mechanics of everything, but it seems to me that my choke is very sticky and doesn't come out as much as it used to. I have a friend working on my bike. It is a 1998 Shadow ACE Deluxe. It sat around for years in my garage because it needed work. How far should the choke come out? Shouldn't it be rather smooth to pull out? Thanks for your help!!

#5 ·
Okay, so no cable, which is what I was originally thinking and what Cbjr was writing.

However, there is a bit of linkage behind that knob which could gum up the works. Hit the pivot and other rubbing points with some spray lubricant. (not WD-40!) if that doesn't free it up, then you may have to remove the choke linkage, pull the enricher valve plungers (the parts in the carb that move when you pull the choke knob) and clean it all up.

--Justin

#6 ·
tubes_rock said:
However, there is a bit of linkage behind that knob which could gum up the works.
Since we are speculating here........... :wink:
If it is anything like the mechanism on my 600....there is a "drag" adjustment and mine is set rather stiff to be sure it STAYS where I put it.
And the throw is pretty short; like about 3/4 to 1 inch.

#7 ·
Speculating...you mean downright guessing!

I've worked on a several bikes that have the carb-mounted choke and every one of them has been designed differently!

--Justin

#9 ·
I don`t use my choke frequently enough to keep it moving freely, it kinda "drags" open and closed...
I did go out and look at mine, it is a cable/wire type that is NOT linkage and is NOT really a cable niether...
It looks more like a wire inside of an outter case...
I dunno howto lube this one...
I reckon I`ll hafta do some more research!!!
But Mine works and I SURE AIN`T gonna FIX it!!!

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.