idle speed ajustment - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Location: northern wisconsin,(summer) brownsville,tx (winter)
idle speed ajustment

hi all, this spring when i took my 1984 VT700 out of storage,since the first time since i had it, i had some problems. it was hard to start and hesitated on accelleration. after running a few tanks with sea foam in it,it got better. then i changed the fuel filter and it got near perfect!!!! i cut the old filter in half after i took it out and its a wonder it ran at all. i think it was the original one. very dirty, rusty, chunky, you name it. it was in there.
i then decided to set up the idle speed a little,because it was running a little slow(600 RPM or so), sometimes to the point of sitting too long at a stop sign it would die. i got out my clymer's manual and it said the idle speed should be 900 (plus or minus 100. fine. i turn in the idle knob until i had about 900RPM's. every thing is good. now my question. when i went for a test run, when i put in the clutch to shift, the motor revs up for a few seconds before comming back down, it sounds like i don't how to shift. even if close the throttle sharply it does not return to ilde right away. any suggustions on what to do? i put the idle back where it was and it dos'ent seem to do it now, but i am back to a low idle. i also checked and lubed throttle cables. any help woule be appreciated. thanks jeri

1984 VT700C shadow
it is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and end up the president of some committee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

I keep mine at about 1200. Don't trust specs out of a clymers. Not sure about the clutch issue.... You could have sticky slides? Have you taken the carbs apart? If there was that much gunk in the filter and even if the Seafoam DID help, I would still take a look in there and clean them up.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Sticky slides or a stuck choke (enricher valve) have my bet. You may need to clean the carbs because fuel system cleaning additive won't fix the slides.

--Justin

Currently Running Stable:
2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Sticky bits. Just went through that, among other things, with my 84vt700 that had been stored for too long with no tlc.

Might as well clean the floats, jets, choke valves, etc while you're at it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Location: northern wisconsin,(summer) brownsville,tx (winter)
idle ajustment

thanks all for the tips. as a side note, i took my tach. apart today. it has been erratic since i have had the bike, only working when i hit a bump or slap it. after resodering all the joints on the circuit board, i put 120 miles on today and it didn't miss a tick. the whole job took about an hour. yahoo!!!!. thanks, jeri

1984 VT700C shadow
it is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and end up the president of some committee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page