FL License Plate Law - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

FL License Plate Law

I'm moving from Buffalo NY to Daytona Beach on March 1st and I currently have a side mount vertical license plate bracket....I've searched and searched and can't find a solid up to date answer....is it illegal in FL ?

I read somewhere if you have a sunpass it's legal but the sunpass website does not give any info or where to mount it (not the mini sticker)....I've also read the law was revised but the info was from 2 yrs ago.

I bought a horizontal bracket just in case but if I don't have to change it I'd prefer not to

2004 Honda Aero VT 750C Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Garage
I see a lot of bikes here in Fl. with a side mounted license plate,so I would think that it must be legal.
The sunpass just needs to be mounted where it can be read by the toll booths.They say on the windshield,but some people carry the sunpass in their saddle bag,or just any place where the toll booth can get a signal from it.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
Found this site,,,https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...-registration/

They have a contact area,,,send them an e-mail.

Or you could call the state patrol and ask them.

I read on an Alabama state law site about plate mounting here because I wanted to mount my tag on the side. The law vaguely states that the tag must be horizontal and on the back of the vehicle. My first thought was,,,define back!!! As long as it is to the rear of center it qualifies as back to me.

Just gonna leave it till I can get more information.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Model: Aero, VT750C
Year: 2008
Garage
316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.ó
(1) A person operating a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle or moped, unless such motorcycle or moped is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle or moped at the rear or side of the operator.
(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, with both wheels on the ground at all times, facing forward, and with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped. However, it is not a violation of this subsection if the wheels of a motorcycle or moped lose contact with the ground briefly due to the condition of the road surface or other circumstances beyond the control of the operator.
(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and remain clearly visible from the rear at all times. Any deliberate act to conceal or obscure the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle is prohibited. The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground. Notwithstanding the authorization to affix the license tag of a motorcycle or moped perpendicularly to the ground, the owner or operator of a motorcycle or moped shall pay any required toll pursuant to s. 316.1001 by whatever means available.

There ya go!

Taken from here...

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

-================================Sometimes life seems to be delivering punches,
When in all reality....
It's delivering wisdom...

'08 Shadow Aero

General Disclaimer: I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. There's a chance I'm wrong now!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 PM

Model: BMW K1200GT
Year: 2003
Garage
#2 basically says you can legally do this

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...turner/154.jpg

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Cool

I have never had a problem with vertical side mounted plates. I've been pulled over a couple times for other reasons (never ticketed), but never for the plate orientation. In 2011 the state cracked down on plates that were mounted and distorted under the the fender pretty much in front of the rear tire. But that was aimed at sport bikes. There was a great outrage from the motorcycle community because it carried a $1000 fine and possible jail time. It was written in such a way that it was open for interpretation and cruiser/chopper bikes were being unfairly targeted for the vertical side mount plates.

2011 Florida Statute Chapter 316, Section 2085 (3):
The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used. The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground, provided that the registered owner of the motorcycle or moped maintains a prepaid toll account in good standing and a transponder associated with the prepaid toll account is affixed to the motorcycle or moped.

They revised the law in 2013 and it's stayed the same since ...

2013 Florida Statute Chapter 316, Section 2085 (3):
The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and remain clearly visible from the rear at all times. Any deliberate act to conceal or obscure the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle is prohibited. The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground. Notwithstanding the authorization to affix the license tag of a motorcycle or moped perpendicularly to the ground, the owner or operator of a motorcycle or moped shall pay any required toll pursuant to s. 316.1001 by whatever means available.

Now, both the revisions do say, "Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground." The key term is "letters read from top to bottom", so technically I (along with thousands of others) am wrong ... or am I? I can plainly read my license plate numbers from top to bottom even though they are side ways. Hmmmmmm ... However, I have noticed from personal experience as well as from other fellow riders that it's really up to the LEO who pulls you over for whatever reason. My answer to the OP is that it's really your own risk.

File photo:

82 CB900C - CB Lingo for My Road
82 Magna - My Road is Magna-ficent!
91 VLX - My Road to Bob
03 ACE - My Road to Rod

"Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!"

Last edited by Aced It; 02-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply's guy's....I called Daytona Harley (cause its the only shop I know there) figuring they would know and they said N/P but I should also call the Sheriff's Dept just to be sure....so I did and they said it's legal as long as it's visible from behind and lighted....which mine clearly is.

if the bike was not my only transpo I wouldn't of been so worried....eventually I do need to relocate it back on the fender as I'm gonna need use of my saddle bag's but that's another project.

2004 Honda Aero VT 750C Custom
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA67 View Post
... but I should also call the Sheriff's Dept just to be sure....so I did and they said it's legal as long as it's visible from behind and lighted....which mine clearly is.
This is where I think the law leaves the decision up to the officer's discretion. When I was first pulled over after just getting the VLX running, the officer gave me several reasons for my temporary detainment. First he said that he thought I didn't have a tag. My tag is on the left side; he was parked on the right side of the road. He stated that it wasn't visible from behind. I asked how so, and then he added that when he pulled onto the road he then saw it. Then he started with the angle of visibility, which I answered and referred back to his statement of visible from "behind." THEN, he rambled on about the law and how my vertical plate was not legal. Well, I carry that little statute in my wallet so I showed it to him and read it aloud with his permission. He really couldn't argue with my points.

Unrelated to this topic, but after that he started with the handle bars, which in Florida are not supposed to be higher than your shoulders. Well, I KNOW that is one thing that officers slide on all the time. I also explained to him about my slumping when riding and demonstrated my upward sitting position showing my arms completely horizontal to the ground. And of course, searching for SOMETHING he started with the JD bottle I have as my coolant overflow bottle. Haha, I showed him that there's coolant in it and it's connected via copper tube to my radiator cap neck. He chuckled and then complimented the bike and told me to ride safely. Mind you, all this time we were very calm and collected with each other with me answering politely with every statement of his. He actually was a nice guy.

Funny part is, he did not notice I had no turn signals on the bike (yet).

Just some fun facts.

82 CB900C - CB Lingo for My Road
82 Magna - My Road is Magna-ficent!
91 VLX - My Road to Bob
03 ACE - My Road to Rod

"Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!"

Last edited by Aced It; 02-15-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
Alabama law states that the tag must be on the rear of the bike.

Being capable of splitting hairs and knowing that something like that is open to opinion I was getting gas in the bike and noticed a State Patrol Officer coming out of the store. I approached and asked if he had a moment to answer a question,,,He said sure. I quoted the plate location law to him and asked him to define "rear",,,he gave me that look and I quickly said that to me it seemed a bit vague,,,He responded with a smile that as long as they could see it from behind the vehicle it was good.

I thanked him and headed back to the bike,,,smiling!!!

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page