Any Pensacola area members? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Any Pensacola area members?

The family and I are looking into relocating from Indiana to Pensacola next July. Just wondering if any members live around there that could give me any information on the area. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1983
Garage
Well, it's a blast if you love old vets...can't shake a stick without hitting at least 10 nearby
7 military bases within 60 miles of Pensacola, and 3 technically IN it.
And the beaches are EPIC!!

The 'burbs are the place to be, though, inner city is pretty much a pit, just like any other city.
It's a very mixed up little town, you have great areas next to really sketchy ones...lol
17th Avenue area is great, the Letter Streets/West Cervantes are horrible...
You can pretty much tell from how well the yard are kept as to how nice an area is...

Cops are pretty decent, but there are definitely areas you DO NOT SPEED thru...like Gulf Breeze,
and PPD caught Ted Bundy on a taillight-out stop...so make sure all your lights work!!

Gulf Breeze, Pace, Perdido, Chumuckla, are pretty good bets, just have to worry about bad drivers
and a 20-minute commute. Florida does have the Anti-Cellphone laws, and they DO enforce in the area,
but there's still thousands of folks I see every day still playing with the dang phones on the road...
so a Helmet Cam or a bike cam is a good idea. Go ahead and Ride Paranoid...figure that the
joker that looks like they're about to do something stupid, is gonna do it...

WINDSHIELDS are your friend in Florida, for Multiple reasons...
Sandblasting...nothing quite like beach sand at 55MPH+ to get your attention
June Bugs...one about the size of your thumb will snap your head back at speed, some crash out from those alone.
Big Fat Raindrops...they really do sting at speed
I prefer a Big White fairing as it makes one look more like a cop...folks actually learn pretty quick to
pay attention to M/C cops, as they're really heavy on making traffic stops...you'll see folks look at you,
start to pull out, then do a double take & stop because the white fairing & shorty helmet make you
look like a Fuzzball

Florida rescinded its helmet law, so they are not required, however, if you do not wear a lid, you have
to carry a Motorcycle Insurance policy...but speaking as a 21-yr firefighter, Please Wear a lid anyway!!
Even a shorty helmet is better than no helmet at all. I've literally seen hundreds of M/C crashes
where a minor get-off turned into a major hospital stay with nasty injuries due to no lid.
Most of them the guy would have gotten up and walked away if he had a lid on...it's like playing football
without a helmet...you know you're gonna crash sooner or later, might as well be protected.
Tarmac will tear an ear off in a heartbeat, and they MAY be able to sew it back on right...or not.

Alligators. They're a thing. Basically it's like hitting a live piece of semi-truck tire at speed.
Usually uncommon, but it happens, just like a large dog or cow in the road
There is no good way to hit one, but if you do & crash, roll as far away as possible, then
try & find a tree or something else to climb up on until it's safe need at least 4'-5' off the ground.

Hope that helps, that's the general Florida guide to surviving

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Lol well that’s a lot of info to absorb but I’ll try! Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM

Model: vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
Year: 2002
All of the above, it's a great place to live. I came down from Boston around 1992 and haven't found any place better.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM

Garage
Oh, and DO get a house inspection on any place you buy that's Pre-Ivan. Sept 2004 we got hit by a Cat 4 that did damage pretty much every house within 50 miles. Some got properly repaired, some did not. Attic Mold Inspection is pretty much the manditory...also look for bulging lower wall panels...and other water damage.

Also, the farther North you go from the water, the more the price drops.
You can get a heck of a home for 250K down here...and usually a couple acres as well!

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 PM

Know this is an old post but I recently moved to Pensacola. Would love to go for a ride. Also could use some help with some bike issues if anyone is knowledgeable about wiring and other necessities
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:31 PM

Garage
Wiring seems to be my weak point lately...lol

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page