Took a Fall... Good shops near West LA/Santa Monica? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Took a Fall... Good shops near West LA/Santa Monica?

New rider here... and I took my first fall.

I was taking a small uphill curve and didn't give it enough gas and ended up hitting the curb. I was probably going 15-20 mph. Learned my lesson.

Luckily there were almost no cages on the road and the one car who was far behind me, stopped to make the other cars go around. ATGATT really saved me because other than a lightly skinned knee and a bruise due to my wedding ring inside my gloves, I came out alright.

My bike suffered a large dent in the gas tank (about 4" in diameter), scrapped handlebar and clutch lever and a broken rear left turn signal housing (the light still works). The handle bars are also slightly skew, not so bad that I couldn't ride home (about two miles), but I need to get this fixed.

Any recommendations for a good shop in the area to fix the handlebars and lights and to just check over the bike in general?

Thanks in advance

2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

IMG_20131109_163928 by taekang, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM

If you're new to riding or new to the shadow, hills can be trouble as you found out. I'd avoid steep hills as much as possible until you've got some more miles under you seat. Maybe practice on smaller inclines. Also practice starting on an easy upslope before you get caught on a steep one and stall the bike. Work on the clutch/throttle blending to keep yourself from stalling and tipping. Once you get your confidence up, go back to where you fell and survey the corner, Once you are confident enough, ride it again, this time keeping enough throttle. Also maybe you need to downshift into that corner because a lower gear will give you quicker throttle response.
I live in Oregon so don't know any shops in LA>
Good Luck

Life doesn't care if you're unprepared.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Garage
A little further south in Huntington Beach is a shop called Bell's Autosports. The owner, Ralph, is a biker himself and they do amazing work. Definitely worth the ride down IMO.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 Shadow Spirit VT750DC
Vance & Hines Straight Shots
Mustang Seat
4 Degree Timing & 38T Sprocket Mod
Billski Tailight Mod

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably try to get a solid few hours of riding in this weekend for practice.

2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

IMG_20131109_163928 by taekang, on Flickr
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 PM

Why not just take it to Honda KTM Kawasaki of Santa Monica? I bought 7 bikes from those guys when we lived in the Marina. They were good to us.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM

If you want to ride about 70 miles south, there is a great shop in the Laguna Niguel/ Mission Viejo area called Metric Method.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

07 Aero 750
Mustang seat
M/C Enterprises floorboards
Heel/toe shifter
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to iamsmiling
There used to be a shop across the street from Bartells HD in Marina del Rey on Lincoln but I haven't been that way for a while and don't know if he's still open. An acquaintance had him build a chopper for him and he was very happy with the work.

2005 Suzuki Wee-Strom DL650

“Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss.”
Lazarus Long quote per Robert Heinlein

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:36 AM

The one "across the street from bartell's HD in MDR" that iamsmiling mentions is "Santa Monica Honda" referenced also by Brass Knuckles. So that's two counts for them.

Personally, I've had varying success there, but I've been immensely happy with "LA Cyclesports", a few minutes south by the Manchester exit from the 405. I've been taking my Triumph and my Honda there, and it's been a largely positive experience for me.

Gary
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 AM

Glad you're pretty much okay. Sorry about your bike. Thanks for the story though because as a new rider I'm trying to learn from everybody I can.

2000 Honda Shadow Sabre

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyks View Post
The one "across the street from bartell's HD in MDR" that iamsmiling mentions is "Santa Monica Honda" referenced also by Brass Knuckles. So that's two counts for them.

Personally, I've had varying success there, but I've been immensely happy with "LA Cyclesports", a few minutes south by the Manchester exit from the 405. I've been taking my Triumph and my Honda there, and it's been a largely positive experience for me.

Gary
No, iamsmiling is talking about the custom chopper shop next door. I think they are called Schwartzkopf Choppers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page