Experience with LED Blue Lighting? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Experience with LED Blue Lighting?

Can't seem to get a straight answer, and feel if I drove to the local station they'd just tell me everything is illegal.

Are blue LED lighting that is tucked under the rear fender and gas tank, in which the bulbs are not visible or glaring outward in any direction illegal? Has anyone been stopped/cited?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:18 PM

Model: BMW K1200GT
Year: 2003
Garage
You mean like this? Around here in Indiana, they are legal as long as you can't see the actual light bulbs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439317067305.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	130714  

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 PM

blue is illegal in some states, but not sure which ones. I know you can't have them in Illinois.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:11 PM

Model: BMW K1200GT
Year: 2003
Garage
I could be wrong, but in Indiana I don't think they can flash or alternate in any way. But I think as long as they just stay on and you cant see the bulbs, its ok. I've never been stopped. A buddy of mine is a sheriff and he's never said anything. I think I'll ask him next time I talk to him. I've been stopped at checkpoints in Illinois and Kentucky at night with them on and neither State Trooper griped about it.

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 PM

Garage
I put Blue LED pods on my bike because its Blue
After thinking about the Police/Blue light issue I have yet to turn them on

2013 Honda 750 Spirit (current)
1996 Honda ACE Shadow 1100 (traded in)
88 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (traded in)
81 Yamaha 1100 Special (traded in)
Yamaha 750 (sold)
Honda 360T (sold)
Honda 100 on/off road (sold)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:03 AM

Garage
99% of the time no one will mess with you because its a bike. as long as your not squiding out you should be fine. worst case you may get a warning. my wife has mutilcolor less on her bike and runs them on the blue not gonna say if anything has or will come about but knock on wood

2007 HONDA SHADOW AERO 750

"RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE"

^click us^

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Good to know... I have a switch mounted, so its pretty easy to turn off if I see a cop.

Last question... as it has just come up... I got this LED Glow kit, and a day after I installed it, the lights stopped working. Then I came out of work, tried again, and they worked. Then couldn't get them to turn on again later. Checked the wires/connections/fuse, everything is fine. anyone else have a similar issue? Is LED glow just a cheap company? Are there better ones I can look into?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Garage
Some where you have a wire issue. Or control box issue. Can you link the exact kit you have?

2007 HONDA SHADOW AERO 750

"RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE"

^click us^

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:26 PM

It varies state by state. DOT is also vague here in Texas. However I did some research and in Texas it used to be illegal till they passed a law saying that lights that shine towards the ground that are yellow or white are legal but they can't be flashing or alternate.

Now I see people all the time with blue or red that get away with it. But the reason they are vague in most states is because they can use it as a reason to stop you if they suspect something else but don't have probable cause to get up close. Let's say profiling. They pull you over because they just think you look evil. They use the lights thing to do it.

When it comes to blue, light blue you can get away with but if it's a dark but bright blue a cop in a small town may hassle you. At least here in Texas.

I would visit the website for your states department of transportation or department of safety since often these rules falls under the later rather than the former.

One other thing you could try is when you see a cop at a gas station or something just ask them if they would stop you for etc etc. Just say you are asking because you want to know. Most cops are friendly (Most) but small town cops in my experience are not.

Cops enforce the laws not interpret them. So something as vague as light coloring (being too blue or bright) may come down to court. Judges usually side with cops so I would go with whatever the safe bet is. Some cops will get you and some won't.

But definitely keep a easy to get toggle switch in case you are stopped.

I use my white for riding at night and dark blue or red when I'm parked or on private property. So far no stops.
Cheers.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:46 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maverick View Post
Can't seem to get a straight answer, and feel if I drove to the local station they'd just tell me everything is illegal.

Are blue LED lighting that is tucked under the rear fender and gas tank, in which the bulbs are not visible or glaring outward in any direction illegal? Has anyone been stopped/cited?
Any under the car/bike lighting is illegal in Michigan. Go to the web page for your state government and check.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page