Planned Summer Rides? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to California Mike
Planned Summer Rides?

I'm looking for a few people that might want to plan a ride this summer in California...I live in Davis and would like to go to LA and/or Oregon. I'll be on a new '08 Honda Shadow Aero, 750. I'm new to the experience, but aching to take a long ride. Let me know if anyone is interested and maybe we can get something started!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Hey.. you're not that guy's roommate, are you? Red & cream '08?

My husband and I were going to a wedding ride (a whole week of riding culminating in a wedding) in August, but it was called off.

Timing is Everything
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to California Mike
Yep. that's me. He's got the black and cream, I've got the red and cream. Love my bike. We're going for a ride tomorrow for a while, hopefully break the city limits a little, depending on the weather I guess. sorry to hear about your ride being called off. Sounds like it would have been fun.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM

This is a great week of riding, i did this last year and it was one of the best rides i've been on. You can do the same ride, its all mapped out for you and if you have not done these roads you don't know what your missing.

http://www.westcoastmagnas.com/event...s/original.htm

Here are the pic's from last years ride(yes the Rod in that ride is me)

http://www.westcoastmagnas.com/events/sierras/index.htm

ROD

'98 VT1100-T
so many roads so little time
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Dave and I are planning on doing Mattole Rd. (sp?), out in.. oh cripes, what's it called? He's not home! It's near where all the Cali bigfoot sightings occurred, near a place called the Trinity Alps I think.

Anyway, you guys! I love both color combinations, but really, just about any color paired up nicely with cream is A-OK in my book. Google my zip and you'll see where I'm at.

Timing is Everything
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 PM

I hope you take Hwy36 over to the coast and not Hwy299.

"Highway 36 The Ultimate Ride!

Deep within the corners of my mind...
Highway 36 has taken on an almost higher state.
It's garnered a level of reverence for me over the years and I treasure the chance to get up to northern California and ride this very thrilling ride. I know this sounds a bit odd- and you might be thinking the guy who created all these web pages and wrote all this text has finally gone loopy on me.
But really, hear me out on this one.
Let me tell you a quick story... Several years ago, I was roaring westbound out of Red Bluff on my VT1100-T happy as a clam. Just outside of the Red Bluff city limits sign, there appeared a small up and over hill. It had such a crest to it- the bottom dropped out and all of sudden, I was a surprised to find my 600lb cruiser airborne over this rise like something out of the Isle of Mann TT. Yikes! And a right hander at the bottom!! I made it around- but it was quite a wake up call. (OK thats not me)

Nobody bothered to bring the bulldozer when they created this first section. Instead, it was simply graded smooth and the road crew called it a day. The benefit is this terrain is like no other road in all of California that I can think of. The road rises and falls over low hills- some maybe ten feet high- then it snakes around and straightens out. At first hugging a creek bed snaking along then gaining some elevation. These hills are what the riders below are commenting on. A couple straights, a meadow, and plenty of cows grazing alongside the road. Easy on the speed. Remember, this is a main highway. The urge to twist the wrist will be intense.

This is a motorcyclist's paradise."
I could not agree more on Hwy36

You will love Mattole Road, Motorcycle riding The Lost Coast
The Lost Coast... It's this out of the way less traveled back country road in the most pristine of settings. And it doesn't get any more tranquil. It's called the Lost Coast because it's the last piece of California Coastline that remains virgin. The beauty of it is, no one even knows about it. It's the kind of road where you could park the bike, turn the key to the off position and listen to total silence.

If you have not subscribed to Pashnit yet, you should, you can see maps and pic's and a good write up of the roads. Even if you don't subscribe you can use the forum and all the other stuff over there, but the pic's and maps will cost $20 a year. Pashnit covers California roads only. View FREE Sample Webpages on Pashnit.com's California Motorcycle Roads.
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm#subscribe
I like to see if the road has good(or bad) pavement before i go on my rides, and Pashnit lets me know.

ROD

'98 VT1100-T
so many roads so little time
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 AM

If interested we have about 5-6 bikes leaving May 24 to Santa Margarita for the night (KOA Kabin) and then on to Las Vegas for 2 nights with a dat-trip to Zion National Park, Utah. On the home will spend another night(tbd).

------------------------------------
2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page