Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum (https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/)
-   New England Riders (https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/85-new-england-riders/)
-   -   North Central Mass! (https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/85-new-england-riders/134622-north-central-mass.html)

TimFis 08-09-2012 07:35 PM

North Central Mass!

Hello from a new member & rider from North Central Mass. Would love to talk to other locals about some local rides, routes and other fun stuff.

I just took a ride down 68 to 62 (I think) into Barre, Phillipston, etc. was a great couple hour ride for after work.

On my list is a trip to Amherst, Ma and North Hampton - love the drive in a car, should be nice on the Shadow.

Hope to hear from others!

Jonathan926 08-09-2012 08:51 PM

I used to live in Sunderland right next to Amherst. That whole area has some nice riding. I'm in CT now so I don't get up there much.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

Reverend Biker 01-13-2013 09:46 PM

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the area. I have to tell you, 68 is a little rough in spots, but once you get to barre, take 122 to 202. If you follow 122 to 32A, that will take you around the Quabbin reservoir. 32A to Rt 9 in Ware MA, to Rt 202, back to 122... about a 35 - 40 mile ride through some great twisty back roads. Coming back from Ware/Belchertown on 202, you can turn off to Amherst and Northampton.

Those are some of the great roads in the area. The best place to stop on a saturday or sunday morning when the weather is nice is the Honey Farms gas station/dunkin donuts at the junction of Rt 2 and Rt 202 in Orange MA.

There are a group of regulars that hang out at this location. There are all sorts of bikes, from Harleys to Hondas and everything inbetween... customs and bone stock bikes. There is an elderly guy who stops in every once in a while on a Vincent Black Shadow!

Everyone in the area stops here during the course of a day to get a drink, use the bathroom or gas up for the next leg of a ride.

Keep the shiny side up....

The Rev

Rob Walker 01-14-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Biker (Post 1449810)
There is an elderly guy who stops in every once in a while on a Vincent Black Shadow! The Rev

I've stopped there several times, since the guy I ride with the most lives in Athol. I have never had the good fortune to see the Vincent while I'm there. My dad would be very happy to have that opportunity.

TimFis 01-21-2013 01:38 AM

Re: North Central Mass!

Hey Rev,

I've ridden that area, it is really nice. It was actually one of my first rides!

Also, did the Mohawk trail before it got too cold. Went all the way into NY, then up into VT before heading home. It was a great day. By far my longest on the bike.

I'll check out that gas station in the spring. I've ridden by it many times!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reverend Biker 01-26-2013 11:54 PM

Tim & Rob,

There are so many great roads that run through this area... one of my riding buddies tells me his brother and his friends drive cross country to find roads like the ones we have in our back yard. And there are times when we see less than a dozen vehicles during a three or four hour ride. It doesn't get any better than that.

There are so many roads through this area... and a bunch I am just discovering. My Yamaha was brutalized on a stretch of Rt 68 going north. I was lucky I didn't blow my fork seals out! It was like someone shelled the area and the roads took the brunt. 32 and 32A around the east side of the Quabbin can be rough in spots, but in daylight you can see far enough where you can avoid the worst of it. The section that crosses to Rt 9 no the south side of the Quabbin has some great roads that were just repaved in the last few years.

There is an event called Rice-o-rama that happens in September. in Oxford MA. RICE-O-RAMA home page

Vintage bike show, swap and sell and some vendors. Only downside to the show, I didn't have very good cell service. That is the worst thing I can come up with... We always have fun and there are some A-mazing vintage concours bikes. Someone posted their photo slide show of last year here:
Just a few more of the great things to do around here.

Maybe see you around the Honey Farms once the snow clears...

The Rev

Therippster3002 02-23-2013 11:52 AM

North Central Mass!

Hey everyone

Just stopping by to see what group rides may be up this way or if a group of people want to set up a ride. I grew up in Gardner so I am familiar with the area and it is a nice area. I am currently out in the concord area and still trying to find nice rides.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reverend Biker 02-23-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therippster3002 (Post 1482594)
Hey everyone

Just stopping by to see what group rides may be up this way or if a group of people want to set up a ride. I grew up in Gardner so I am familiar with the area and it is a nice area. I am currently out in the concord area and still trying to find nice rides.

Welcome!

There are some fun spots out your way too. For the last two years I have been trying to organize a meet and greet at the Lowell Bike Night. Weather has yet to cooperate. Last three times we tried to set something up bike night was rained out. Maybe we can organize something this year.

I can't say enough how much I love the rural Central Mass areal. From Orange, Athol, Tulley, Royalston, Petersham, Barre, Phillipston, Gardner... it has some of the least cage-traveled twisties in the state.

I never realized how many roads go through state forest land in this area alone. I see people who have colored in 80% of the continental US on a map and I can honestly say I did at least 7000 of the 19k miles on my Yamaha last year in-state. There are just so many cool places to go.

Northfield Mountain has a great recreational area Northfield Mountain Environmental & Recreation Center :: North Quabbin Woods, a place to park, swim if you want... grab some grass and have a picnic, then head down the road in any direction for more great riding. You can take Rt 63 from there north into Northfield NH and go to a drive in movie on the weekend, or head the other direction and find yourself in Amherst, or a few miles down Rt 9 from the center of Amherst is Northampton. Al great destinations with night life, great people watching and biker friendly establishments.

As the weather gets warmer and the Lowell Bike Night schedule gets posted, we should try to find a tuesday night and do a HondaShadow.net meet and greet.

Lets hear what everyone thinks...

The Rev

Therippster3002 02-23-2013 07:11 PM

North Central Mass!

That would be exactly what I am looking for. I actually work on the Chelmsford Lowell line and I have never actually been to the bike night. Is this the one they usually have on pawtucket blvd?

bonecollector66 06-13-2015 10:51 PM

im from south central mass i ride all over , send me a pm