OSEG Springfield (MA) Motorcycle Show - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker
OSEG Springfield (MA) Motorcycle Show

Did anyone else go this year, or have you been in the past? Please post your thoughts here.

I have been four of the last five years and in my humble opinion, the quality of the show has gone down. I skipped 2013 because of my disappointment in the parts/swap meet part of the show in 2010-2012. Trying to rebuild my Venture, I had hoped to see someone with a booth not selling cheap Chinese tools or flashing neon light kits.

This year I actually had some money in my pocket and am ready to buy. I wanted to find a new textile jacket, preferably an Icon or Joe Rocket with armor. I also wanted to order a new Barnett clutch pressure plate, which is an upgrade for my Yamaha. I had cash in my pocket for both.

I also wanted to speak to a yamaha dealer and test-fit the new FJR1300 and see if I am comfortable on it.

I paid $14 (with my dollar off coupon from the internet) to get in. I spent 2-1/2 hours walking through the single building. 35% of the building was set up as bike build off and competitive airbrushing and another 10% a stage for the band. 10% for Paul Teutel Sr, and a tiny display space along the outside wall for the people showing their bikes. There were 4 or 5 booths set up selling jackets with either harley, victory or indian emblems.

There were 5 dealers representing Ducati, Cycle Design had a can am, several gold wing trikes and a '14 gold wing, there were new Harleys, Victory, Indian and Susuki.

No real Honda representation, no Yamaha.... not one swap meet vendor, no used parts. There was a guy with some drag specialties stuff for harley, the pretty glitter, but nothing of substance. There were info-mercial vendors selling miracle lens cleaners and beef jerky.

Taking a second lap around the building, we quenched our thirst with a beer. 3 buds - $19.75.

We confirmed the only thing that was missed was the Easy Rider display, which was also set up along the outside wall. There was not enough room for people to move through the outside aisles to even take a look at the show bikes or the display. Everyone was clumping in front of their favorite bikes and there wasn't enough room to get through. The last of it were the people on their mobility scooters.

Other than getting a chance to speak with Paul Sr. again (met him in vegas last year for the bike build off), the second most exciting thing was stopping at the White Hut on the way back to the highway... some of the best dogs and burgers in the area. And you must get the fried onions or you will be missing out.

My buddy just shook his head in the negative and declined to even verbalize his disappointmet. His one positive was he got to see the AMCA vintage display and check out a couple cool indians (he is building a '47 chief - if you know of anyone with parts, please PM me)

I would like to hear what other people's impressions were.

Peace,

The Rev

The Reverend
'01 Shadow Sabre VT1100C2
'83 XVZ12T Yamaha Venture Royale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 PM

My brother and I went Friday night. Not crowded at all so we were able to check everything out pretty well. It was my first time for that show so I can't comment on comparisons with past shows. My bro was real disappointed as he said it was much smaller than past years. Guess they used to cover multi buildings. Anyway, I wasn't real impressed as there wasn't much in the way of Honda represented. Did see some used Honda Goldwing trikes. I mainly went because my neighbor is just now opening Indian of Westfield, MA and he had a good display of 2014 Indians, along with some of his antique machines in other places in the show. He would be a good one for your friend to contact for Indian parts as he is a rabid Indian collector of old Indian bikes and has an extensive collection.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

'85 Honda Shadow VT700c
Ride bell by "Davor"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker
fencible, Thanks for the lead on the parts. I emailed my buddy what you said. I'm not sure if its the same guy he was talking to about the new bike, or if it was one of his staff. There were a few people in the indian booth.

If you want to go to an event where you will have some parts vendors and a swap meet as well as a vintage import bike presence, rice-o-rama at the oxford rod and gun club has been a great outing the last 3 or 4 years.

RICE-O-RAMA home page is the official website, it still shows the details for 2013. I don't think they update it until spring.

This youtube vid slideshow is posted from 2012.

The pictures just don't do the swap meet part justice. There were a dozen or more vendors with a wide variety of import bike parts. The bike show brings out so many great vintage bikes no matter what you like... and its a fun ride out on rt 122 to barre center, then off on rt 32... great rural riding and a fun fall event.

The Rev

The Reverend
'01 Shadow Sabre VT1100C2
'83 XVZ12T Yamaha Venture Royale

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Biker View Post

The pictures just don't do the swap meet part justice. There were a dozen or more vendors with a wide variety of import bike parts. The bike show brings out so many great vintage bikes no matter what you like... and its a fun ride out on rt 122 to barre center, then off on rt 32... great rural riding and a fun fall event.

The Rev
Thanks, looks like a good meet. Rural riding is just about all I do at this stage. There were some good looking bikes in the links at that site.

Dave

'85 Honda Shadow VT700c
Ride bell by "Davor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page