Ride To The Sky - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Ride To The Sky

Has anyone done this? I was hoping to do it this year during bike week on the motorcycle only days and wondered how crowded it gets. I know that it is open from 7:30 to 6:00, but didn't know if you had to arrive before a certain time.

Just ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Garage
Mount Washington auto road? Two words..

DO IT!

There will be crowds all day long

Be prepared for extreme weather changes..it can be sunny and seventy degrees at the bottom of the rock pile and foggy with freezing rain at the top..check conditions BEFORE you pay.

Be sure your brakes are in order.. lower the gear the better up or down

The further up you get the more pull offs there are.. good if you have some kamikaze idiot behind you..don't get frustrated pull over and let the asswipe by.

Don't forget your camera

Much of the road is paved and what isn't is hard packed. It is not a particularly hard road to ride..use common sense and you will be fine.

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Garage

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Ride to the Sky | Mt. Washington Auto Road

I definitely want to do this as well! Great advice Crazy Dave, plan to be prepared.

You ain't ridin', you ain't livin'

02 Shadow Spirit VT750DC
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM

I used to work for the AMC and would take the Mt Washington Auto Road multiple times per week in order to service on the Lake of the Clouds building on Washington. It is an awesome ride and with nice weather the views are outstanding. However, when the weather is bad it is horrible. I have seen 90mph sideways snow up there in June and July in years past.

On a slightly related note, we were heli lifting gear to some of the backcountry buildings on the day Travas Pastrana and Red Bull broke the Mt Washington hill climb record, it was pretty awesome to watch and his exhaust could be heard for miles.

Here is the video for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXJYc4CpXA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Man that video scares the crap out of me.. I know it's the pillion rider with the camera but all I can think while watching is "NO!! KEEP Your Eyes On The Road!!!"

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 PM

it's a great ride don't forget to bring your rain gear and cold weather gear even if you go in August or July.
I would have to say the worst part of the ride is at the end! the parking lot it's made up with loose gravel in rock...I think that parking lot at the top was more dangerous than the ride itself to get there LOL..

Last edited by Officer friendly; 03-28-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer friendly View Post
it's a great ride don't forget to bring your rain gear and cold weather gear even if you go in August or July.
I would have to say the worst part of the ride is at the end! the parking lot it's made up with loose gravel in rock...I think that parking lot at the top was more dangerous than the ride itself to get there LOL..

I'll agree to that. even trickier when there are dozens of other motorcycles around you

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM

I did this last august with my 85 shadow 700 and it handled it wonderfully fully loaded with a passenger after 100 miles getting there. DON'T by any means touch your brakes once you reach the bottom! you could fry an egg on them they get so hot, so check your brakes before the ride and don't constantly ride them. I actually shut my engine OFF and coasted down in gear for most of the trip down. turn the kill switch back on and it starts instantly was the most effective way I found to do it.

for the trip up, try and give yourself some distance and go your own speed, my bike was geared in a way it did not want to go below 15mph because it just did not have the low end torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page