My Summer 2015 Trip to the Pac Northwest - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 AM

Model: Aero 1100
Year: 2000
Howdy! I recommend you forego Visalia. Visalia is much like Texas....hot, dry, isolated....but, it is the gateway to Yosemite. It's far enough from the Bay Area to make for a long drive. I would suggest instead, that perhaps go as far as Monterey, and embark on the bikes from there. Riding the Coast north of San Francisco is breath taking. I've ridden it several times. There are so many places to stop and take it in, and portions of Hwy 1 are very twisty. In fact I recall a few areas where you see your own tail lights! Hearst Castle in San Simeon is just sort of the beginning. Areas like Manchester Beach and Point Arena are fantastic as is the journey there. By traveling up Hwy 101, leaving the Bay Area to the Russian River and then following the river to Jenner and the Coast is beautiful. But, keep in mind, these are basically Country back roads that encourage Cruising. Your schedule seems rigid and optimistic. On Hwy 1 (not 101) you'll ride through places like Big Sur, Sea Ranch and some places you're likely to sidetrack a bit to see....Ferndale is great.

I've stayed in one of the KOA campgrounds in the Eureka area and it was pretty nice. It had a laundry room and a store, however, Eureka is about as big a city as you'll find on the coast. There are lots of restaurants and stores. Lots of B&B's and Motels. Once in Oregon, as you head North on the Coast, there used to be a coin car wash in Brookings. Great place to stop, stretch your legs and spray the bugs and grime off the bikes. And I'd agree with another poster. I've lived in Oregon and actually moved back to the bay area a few years ago from there. As was mentioned, you can't pour your own gas, and there's no sales tax. Fred Meyer stores are all over the place and will have most of your needs like groceries and lots of camping and traveling related gear. They also have about the best price on gasoline throughout the state. And, I'd also agree with foregoing Klamath Falls, and going up to Crater Lake instead. It's beautiful up there, the water is extremely pure and the lake is super super deep. The road up to the lake goes for miles and miles with trees so thick you can't get your arms between them, and they're all the same size! It's a gorgeous ride! Also, pack a jacket because in Sourthern OR during the summer it's likely to be in the 90's, but up at the lake it might be 20-30 degrees cooler. If you choose to stay on the Coast, there is lighthouse after lighthouse. All completely different and all exceptional.

If you take the fast route to OR which is I-5 rather than the coast, it's good traveling and scenic. The road is good. You'll ride by Lake Shasta and Mt. Shasta. Mt. Shasta is part of twin peaks and the sister peak is a Volcano. Other Volcanoes in the area include Mt. Hood in Or, and Mt. St. Helens in WA. You'll also go by Castle Crags, California's version of Colorado's Garden of the Gods.

Also, summertime temps along I-5 can be 100 degrees +, and coastal temps can be downright cold and uncomfortable. I traveled for several months, two up, with another couple. We camped in campgrounds and on the side of the road. We zig-zagged back and forth due to the drastic temperature changes. We found some really great motorcycle roads that I'll probably never find again. I've always said that someday, I'm going to do that ride again.

Oh, by the way, there are some great places to tour by motorcycle in Southern OR too. Dead Indian Memorial Highway, the Applegate etc. I would suggest you and your wife stay alert throughout Northern CA and OR. Deer and Elk, Bobcats, Cattle, Bear, Coyotes and snakes are likely to be in the road at some point.

Photos below include:
Golden Gate
Castle Crags -Thanksgiving 2016
Mt. Shasta - Thanksgiving 2016

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1925sml.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	200218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2566sml.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	200226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2564sml.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	200234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2629sml.JPG
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	200258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easyrider.jpg
Size:	721.0 KB
ID:	200266  

Last edited by w6wat; 03-14-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page