My First Accident, and What I Learned - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down My First Accident, and What I Learned

So maybe 6-8 months after I got my bike. I've been riding it everyday, I'm pretty comfortable on it. It handles like a dream, and is light enough for me to pick up myself (which I learned the hard way but we'll get to that)

So one day, I'm leaving this work event in the usc area. I actually grew up around here.

So I'm on Figeruoa, which is a rather large street, there's abotu 4 lanes in each direction.

I'm in the leftmost lane that goes straight (not the turning lane)

So I'm cruising along, going mayble 30mph max.

All of a sudden this guy driving this blue ford come streaking along from the rightmost lane all the way to the turning lane cutting off everyone including me.

By now I'm trying to react, I panic and press on both brake, and I start to feel the bike sliding to the left from under me.
This is where things get blurry. I think I released the brake and maybe hit the throttle because the bike then went back upright and spun the other way to the right. Somehow while this was happening I jumped off the bike and landed on my feet with my catlike reflexes. (didn't even hit the ground lmao jk all luck) So my bike whips now to the right and my handlebars, I had Z style bars at the time with pointy grips puts a fat indent in his left quarter panel.

Long story short everyone is OK. After yelling "WTF are you doing" I take a couple breaths and calm down b/c I don't want to be the "angry black guy" in front of everyone. We pull over to the bank across the street and I lectured him for a cool 10 minutes about if you miss your turn just go tf around. etc etc.

I asses the damage on my bike, my bars are bent meaning one is more in front of the other. Other than that there are a few cosmetic damages.
I had the bike towed home because in my naivete I thought there was a bigger problem (I saw coolant on the ground, but it was just because the cap popped open on impact) So i didn't think it was ridable.

Fastforward to me fixing my bike through a company that my insurance (Geico) reccomended.
The place kept my bike for a month and change to paint the front fender, and put new bars and turn signals on.
It was then someone told me that shops will do that when you're working though insurance so they can charge storage fees and other bs.

WTF did I learn?

1) In the time i've been riding I do know that I eventually want to get a sports bike. But I've also realized (I think) that if I was riding a sportsbike in that position, it would have been much worse, I don't think I would be able to hop off the back of a sportsbike the way I did mine.

2) Countersteering is king (and kinda fun) When I first started riding I would watch alot of crash videos idk why, i've stopped since then, but I wanted to learn from others mistakes. We learned about countersteering in class, and I also practice it a little when I have an open road. I don't think countersteering would have prevented the accident, in fact it probably would have made it worse since i would have countersteered into oncoming traffic. But either way, I think it's an important tool to have.

3) Don't be cheap like me. buy a real, expensive, name brand helmet. Like I said my body didn't touch the ground, but I recently bought a HJC helmet, and my god is there a difference. God forbid I got in a real accident with the cheapo helmet I had before I'd prolly be dead.

Anyways I don't know if there's a real point. But it happened, I'm still riding. I'm a smarter ride for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 PM

Glad you're ok and still here to tell the story. Live long and ride far!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik View Post
So maybe 6-8 months after I got my bike. I've been riding it everyday, I'm pretty comfortable on it. It handles like a dream, and is light enough for me to pick up myself (which I learned the hard way but we'll get to that)

So one day, I'm leaving this work event in the usc area. I actually grew up around here.

So I'm on Figeruoa, which is a rather large street, there's abotu 4 lanes in each direction.

I'm in the leftmost lane that goes straight (not the turning lane)

So I'm cruising along, going mayble 30mph max.

All of a sudden this guy driving this blue ford come streaking along from the rightmost lane all the way to the turning lane cutting off everyone including me.

By now I'm trying to react, I panic and press on both brake, and I start to feel the bike sliding to the left from under me.
This is where things get blurry. I think I released the brake and maybe hit the throttle because the bike then went back upright and spun the other way to the right. Somehow while this was happening I jumped off the bike and landed on my feet with my catlike reflexes. (didn't even hit the ground lmao jk all luck) So my bike whips now to the right and my handlebars, I had Z style bars at the time with pointy grips puts a fat indent in his left quarter panel.

Long story short everyone is OK. After yelling "WTF are you doing" I take a couple breaths and calm down b/c I don't want to be the "angry black guy" in front of everyone. We pull over to the bank across the street and I lectured him for a cool 10 minutes about if you miss your turn just go tf around. etc etc.

I asses the damage on my bike, my bars are bent meaning one is more in front of the other. Other than that there are a few cosmetic damages.
I had the bike towed home because in my naivete I thought there was a bigger problem (I saw coolant on the ground, but it was just because the cap popped open on impact) So i didn't think it was ridable.

Fastforward to me fixing my bike through a company that my insurance (Geico) reccomended.
The place kept my bike for a month and change to paint the front fender, and put new bars and turn signals on.
It was then someone told me that shops will do that when you're working though insurance so they can charge storage fees and other bs.

WTF did I learn?

1) In the time i've been riding I do know that I eventually want to get a sports bike. But I've also realized (I think) that if I was riding a sportsbike in that position, it would have been much worse, I don't think I would be able to hop off the back of a sportsbike the way I did mine.

2) Countersteering is king (and kinda fun) When I first started riding I would watch alot of crash videos idk why, i've stopped since then, but I wanted to learn from others mistakes. We learned about countersteering in class, and I also practice it a little when I have an open road. I don't think countersteering would have prevented the accident, in fact it probably would have made it worse since i would have countersteered into oncoming traffic. But either way, I think it's an important tool to have.

3) Don't be cheap like me. buy a real, expensive, name brand helmet. Like I said my body didn't touch the ground, but I recently bought a HJC helmet, and my god is there a difference. God forbid I got in a real accident with the cheapo helmet I had before I'd prolly be dead.

Anyways I don't know if there's a real point. But it happened, I'm still riding. I'm a smarter ride for it.

Always good to read at the end of a "had my first wreck" thread that all turned out good. A couple of thoughts:
I was not there so in no way, shape or form should you think I am criticizing you.

Locking up brakes can be a sketchy thing. If you lock up your rear brake, you gotta stay on it for a good while. If you let off of it too soon the bike will feel similar to what yours did... right itself , then flip to the other side. if you lock up the front, it's the opposite, get off of it as soon as you can.
Not sure why or if yo actually meant to leap off your bike. Would of been impressive to watch, but that seldom is a good thing. Easy for me to sit here at a keyboard and tell you should "look for a way out" .... hmmm, it actually was pretty easy , but that is what you have to do. The old adage of "look where you want to go or stare at where you will wreck" is quite true.
Having the bike towed home is seldom a bad idea. That's what insurance is for. Easier to troubleshoot your bike once you've had a chance to chill and assess things. Good call.
As long as your insurance company covers the work, I'd not worry too much about the shop as long as they do good work and you have no problems once you get the bike out.
Sports bikes are a hoot! I owned and rode a "Busa for a couple of years and have many miles on a GSXR. Love 'em. With that said, you might of actually did better on one. Their braking system is typically top notch. Again, leaving the bike voluntarily is seldom a good idea. Continue with that thought process and one day you'll find your bike landing on top of you. Things might not turn out so good.
I still don't know about this counter-steering stuff but I've only been riding for about 40 years. Seems I still have plenty to learn.
Helmets: Touchy subject for many. Me personally, I ride, my wife rides with me, I also have a son and a daughter who both ride. How much are their heads worth? For me, worth enough that I shopped around until I got them what are considered some of the best head protection that can be found. I don't replace these helmets every couple of years like some recommend, but I have no problem spending good money to potentially save mine and their noggins. I've also found that quite often, there's a huge difference in "good" helmets. Nuff said......

Again, great to hear all is well and you're still riding. Now we need to read a thread about how you had a great ride and nothing went wrong.... Deal?

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 PM

Garage
Glad you made it through and learned a few things in the process. BTW, you’d have been the “angry motorcycle guy” and for good reason.

Sitting on my Shadow making vroom vroom noises.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/mem...w-cmc-logo.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM - Sold Oct 2018

2008 VTX 1300T - Oct 2018 Co-BOTM

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Model: VT750 Aero
Year: 2006
Definitely glad that you and the bike are ok! I'm not sure if it makes you feel better but on the days I sit at work and am stuck at my desk, I tend to pull up videos regarding motorcycle schools/riding/motorcycle wrecks just to watch/learn. I've also watched plenty of "instructional" videos that are completely junk.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
Excellent reflexes sticking a landing like that.

Quote:

I think I released the brake and *maybe hit the throttle* because the bike then went back upright .....

You might have inadvertently hit the throttle, but releasing the brakes due to a rear wheel skid causes the rear wheel to regain traction and traction causes the bike to swing upright from any tilt. The spinning wheel acts as a powerful gyroscope that plumbs the bike in a micro second. High-sided it's called and possibly catapulting the rider in the air in the sideways direction. That's why it's advisable to ride out the skid without letting up on the brakes. However, in your case, you wouldn't have been able to leap off the bike with your grip still on the handlebars and your foot on the brake pedal riding out the skid, and getting side swiped would have taken you off the bike anyways. If you were going any faster things might have turned out differently. I really don't know how you did it.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 PM

Garage
Experience makes for better , more controlled , reaction next time , if you survive the experience.

Glad to see you did and bike is whole again.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I definitely learned from the experience, and think about it from time to time. I'm still riding, n the bike is still chugging along! (Albeit with other issues.)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Through my recent encounter with that deer, I learned it HURTS when you hit the pavement!!!
Luckily, my "leathers" & helmet caught the "road rash" and NOT my body...

Looking at the dates posted I see you check back @Graphik ...
& Just thought I`d share my $,02

Therapy is painful, BUT I`m progressing,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
Glad youre ok and that it wasnt more serious. I justhad my first accident last friday and will be recovering for the next 8 to 10 weeks and still count myself lucky it wasnt much worse.

🏍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page