Carburetor problems - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Carburetor problems

I recently added a jet kit to my Shadow VT750DC. After putting it all back together I took it for a ride and now it seems like once it hits certain rpms it loses power until I let off the throttle and give it more gas. I took it apart and I inspected the floats. The only thing that I noticed was the one if the covers for the vacuum piston/chamber and a ding in the top of it. Once I put it back together it’s not as bad it’s more of sputtering in a way. Could this be affecting it or do you guys have any ideas? I’m not sure if it’s a vacuum leak or it could be something else. I posted a clip of it on YouTube to get an idea of it
https://youtu.be/eWkxq9XjcDM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT750 DC
Year: 2006
Garage
Why did you add a jet kit? Open air intake or exhaust? Larger or smaller jets and sizes? What did you do for needle adjustments? What did you set the A/F screws at? Did you do a plug chop?

Adding jets with no adjustments in intake or exhaust may create a dead spot since in a certain power band you have an improper fuel air mix. Adjusting carb jets is not as simple as just changing to different sizes as not all bikes are alike based on many different factors. I takes a lot of tinkering with the jet sizes, needle height, springs, and A/F screws.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB6049 View Post
Why did you add a jet kit? Open air intake or exhaust? Larger or smaller jets and sizes? What did you do for needle adjustments? What did you set the A/F screws at? Did you do a plug chop?

Adding jets with no adjustments in intake or exhaust may create a dead spot since in a certain power band you have an improper fuel air mix. Adjusting carb jets is not as simple as just changing to different sizes as not all bikes are alike based on many different factors. I takes a lot of tinkering with the jet sizes, needle height, springs, and A/F screws.
Yeah I have an open exhaust on it and just a k&n filter on it. It was running really lean due to the open exhaust. I did a lot of research before I did anything like this to it. I adjusted the a/f pilot screws, springs, bigger jets, everything basically in order for it to run right with the open exhaust and filter on it. I

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT750 DC
Year: 2006
Garage
It's been a while since I tuned mine for velocity stacks and drag exhaust but, not all kits use the same jet sizes and I found the stock springs and needles with shims worked better than the ones in the kit. You may need to try going one size up or down on the jets as well as sting the shims on different notches. Takes a few runs at WOT to figure the best combination. Best to adjust one thing at a time starting with WOT and working down to idle.

Here is the last time I did mine. 2015 Maintenace and Mods - Shadowriders

And this was the first adjustments for just my k&n and exhaust. Mortons Installed - Shadowriders

If you search over at shadowriders.net for threads by mcviern, he put out a world of info on carbs and tuning. If you have not found TJ Brutal Customs, you might take a look at the videos he has done on carb tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page