Music on shadow - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Music on shadow

Just curious what everyones opinion about music while riding is and if anyone has any creative ideas. I'm not interested in it day to day, but I do plan on taking my shadow on some longer rides with my wife.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Model: VT500
Year: 1983
Garage
I've been thinking about that...
I know where I can find an old Vetter box for a radio, but was thinking that would be a huge amount of space to take up...although it does put everything right up front where you can easily get to it and change stations/volume/etc...also my current tail box has speaker locations, so getting good sound wired up wouldn't be difficult...but there's got to be a smaller/better way than the old fashioned car radios these days without getting over $100??

There are some interesting Helmet-mounted systems out there...anyone tried those yet??

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.

Last edited by Big Shrek; 03-23-2019 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
I had expensive sound equipment on an older Goldwing and took it off after a year or 2. Here is the problems:

A Goldwing is somewhat noisy but typically Honda Shadows are even noisier so you cannot really hear much on acceleration etc.

I put the best speakers I could fit (MB Quart was good quality) but you have no enclosure like a car or house so the sound has nothing to bounce off. The sound is comparable to really bad cell phone music but you are not listening to cell phone music at 60 mph. Think wind.

If you wear a helmet the sound must penetrate that and a helmet muffles sound.

To hear music at 60mph the amp is turned way up and adds to the distortion.

So in the end the sound is dreadful unless you are travelling slowly and enjoy distorted music.
I convinced myself that at least I could hear a weather or traffic report but I disliked operating the bike in a fashion to better hear the sound system. In any case I felt the sound system was a distraction so removed it.

G.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Model: 1100 AERO
Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoJones View Post
Just curious what everyones opinion about music while riding is and if anyone has any creative ideas. I'm not interested in it day to day, but I do plan on taking my shadow on some longer rides with my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
I've been thinking about that...

There are some interesting Helmet-mounted systems out there...anyone tried those yet??
I have been riding with Helmet bluetooth system since pretty early on in my riding days. It's nice because I have a phone mount on my bike so I can see who's calling and then i can take phone calls or just save them for later. Most people tell me they can hear me fine and assume I'm driving my car, most are shocked when they find out i'm on my motorcycle lol

Anyway- back to your question- sound quality is pretty good since the speakers are in your helmet, I never even considered buying a speaker kit since these have pleased me well enough. I generally listen to podcasts and or music since I have a long commute to and from work.

They say you can share music helmet to helmet so that's pretty cool, I haven't done that yet though.

P>S> I started off with a Sena 10s. It was good but then I upgraded to a Cardo packtalk slim. I highly recommend that one. It has voice commands so you can talk to it and ask for it to read your messages to you, play music, skip track, etc etc.

P.P.S. I do have a Sena 10s i'm selling. in case you're interested...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM

Model: VT750CA Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
I use a cheap $35.00 bluetooth helmet to helmet comm system to stream music from my phone into the helmet(s). I used it yesterday on a 111 mile ride listening to Joe Satriani the entire time. Half way through the wife calls to "see where the hell I am" and it muted the music and answered the call automatically. She had no trouble hearing me. After she hung up it un-muted the music! It's the only way to listen to music on a bike...
It will also send Google map spoken directions to the speakers. Not a bad deal for $35.00.

Trinity my 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

I'm nobodies slave, I'm nobodies master,
Time is mine, morning, night, and afternoon...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Model: VT500
Year: 1983
Garage
Kinda what I figured

When I used to use the Vetter Box behind a Windscreen, shorty helmet was needed for best hearing.
Altho with that system, the neighbors a mile away could hear it blaring "Boston"' "Cool the Engines" at max power

So the helmet mounts are definitely sounding like the way to go!

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM

Model: 1100 AERO
Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
Kinda what I figured

When I used to use the Vetter Box behind a Windscreen, shorty helmet was needed for best hearing.
Altho with that system, the neighbors a mile away could hear it blaring "Boston"' "Cool the Engines" at max power

So the helmet mounts are definitely sounding like the way to go!
Yeah!! I actually am about to head to Cycle Gear to get my unit replaced (I paid for the warranty and the sales reps there told me when a new unit came out I could upgrade by paying the difference). Just found out the Cardo line collaborated with JBL and the 2019 models now have upgraded JBL speakers...

I would definitely recommend the Cardo Packtalk slim - cardos across the board seem to be good but the slim does same as rest while also being pretty inconspicuous.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2007
Garage
I had a 1k watt 4-ch Bluetooth system on my old shadow, streamed from my phone. I had a nice bat fairing which blocked most of the noise. I enjoyed the sound. You can see their site, or buy from ebay, which is what I did (http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/). There may be some pics in my garage of the set up.

02 Goldwing GL1800 - "Gold"
07 Shadow Spirit 750

78 CB750K -went separate ways
84 KZ750 - deceased
04 Shadow Aero - passed Down
05 Shadow Aero -went separate ways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page