Honda Shadow Forums banner

Highway riding

6K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  CoreyP 
#1 ·
Just got my Phantom a few weeks ago. Picked up an 18 leftover for a great price and absolutely love it. Looks great and love canyon carving. Put on 600 miles or so in 2 weekends. Problem is lacking power on highway and wind. Thinking to add a quick release windshield, cobra exhaust and air intake. I never had a fuel injected bike and not sure where to start. Any ideas? Thanks!

#3 ·
Would be interesting to know how little horsepower it puts out (emissions and EPA standards) seems only cars and trucks are the only ones that still advertise horsepower ratings, I couldn't find anything for the phantom.

#5 ·
I don't have any experience with them since I have an old carbed bike. But maybe other guys will chime in.

#7 ·
The Phantom is basically the Aero re-branded. I had a bat fairing on my Aero and didn't really get it for speed, mainly to just enjoy the ride. There are pictures in my garage. You can contact @PhantomRider64 for some good Phantom answers.

#15 ·
I was there last year. Rode the Aero for 3 years and it felt great, did everything I asked it to do, but it needs a 6th gear on the highway. Then I won a weekend rental of a Harley, which I really enjoyed, but knew I couldn’t afford. What I did learn is I wanted a bigger bike. I bought a 1300 VTX and haven’t looked back. Lots of power and a nicely balanced bike.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/m...08-honda-vtx-1300t-16842-picture71386-vtx.jpg

#27 ·
I ran my 700 on the freeway. She did feel a bit under powered but I think that was the fault of my fat @ss :lol:

That does have an effect on performance. A 700 with a 150-pound guy and 10 pounds of gear will go faster than a 300 lbs guy with 30 lbs of gear. I know personally I'm fine with a 750, 800, 650 not quick but fast enough for me single rider. Problem is my wife rides with me a lot so I have an 1100. A 700 wouldn't cut it.

#22 ·
Lace a Shadow RS, 16" rear rim, onto a current Aero or Phantom shaft rear hub and use a 160/80 16" tire - ya have essentially changed the final drive to ground ratio to about the same as going from a 42T sprocket to a 38T rear sprocket!

Your just changing the rear rim size (from 15" to 16") to get the final drive ratio change done...
A Shadow RS 16"x3.5" rim and spoke set should lace right on Aero/Phantom hub perfectly, (maybe...). It could be a nice mod to lower rpm's on the highway for current shaft drive 750's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.