Question about riding on the freeway - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Question about riding on the freeway

Hey everyone I have a quick question for you all about riding on the freeway: how do you get used to the wind pushing you? I just started riding about 3 weeks ago and just hopped on the freeway for the 1st time yesterday, and it was pretty scary. The speed isn't the issue, it was the wind(I live in the Bay Area). I am worried that it may push me into another car or something. Maybe I could get some advice/pointers.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Practice and experience.
Always expect it.
When alone, I tend to ride just to the left of center (staying out of the middle where crap tends to collect) so if wind moves me either way, I have room. Learning how to react to it is a big thing, do not over-react, which is common when new.
If it is a constant wind, you tend to lean sideways a little into it, and then sway when it stops.

One thing to remember when passing/being passed by a semi is they will give you a good side wind. These are good practice times how to handle the bike since you can expect them to happen and learn to adjust.

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank for that information! I am hoping to practice on weekends when there is less traffic. But to be honest, it still scares me a bit...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:50 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
Welcome. I think fighting the winds at higher speeds just comes with experience. You may want to take some backroads at a little slower pace on a windy day to get a little more used to all the different directions wind affects you. A hard cross wind can move you over when not expecting it. I was doing a study on aerodynamics and anything over 55 mph starts to exponentially use more horsepower and causes exponential wind drag as well. Be careful learn good riding techniques and have fun. Check out youtube. There are lots of good traffic tips.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 AM

Just curious... Do you have Windshield? Without one my top speed is about 60 or 65 mph so I don't ride on an interstate without one.

Are you talking about the wind from large trucks? I try to avoid being behind them if at all possible. And I never let one pass me. When I pass I do it as quickly as possible because it's a bit turbulent for a few seconds.

2000 Honda Shadow Sabre

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Model: VTX 1300
Year: 2006
Practice practice practice. Like suggested above try slower highways. 55 mph speed limits for a while till you get used to the wind with the speed. Then you can step up and try the freeway again.

If you don't have a windshield think about getting one. They help with the chest winds. I refuse to ride highways without one

Semi's suck lol They will push you around. You'll learn how to deal with that by......practice
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtheginn View Post
Just curious... Do you have Windshield? Without one my top speed is about 60 or 65 mph so I don't ride on an interstate without one.

Are you talking about the wind from large trucks? I try to avoid being behind them if at all possible. And I never let one pass me. When I pass I do it as quickly as possible because it's a bit turbulent for a few seconds.
I do not have a windshield. And I was referring to the normal wind from the weather. San Francisco, and the surrounding area, is super windy throughout the year, so I'm going to have to practice sooner or later. Where is a good place to get a windshield?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewsifer View Post
Practice practice practice. Like suggested above try slower highways. 55 mph speed limits for a while till you get used to the wind with the speed. Then you can step up and try the freeway again.

If you don't have a windshield think about getting one. They help with the chest winds. I refuse to ride highways without one

Semi's suck lol They will push you around. You'll learn how to deal with that by......practice
Thanks for the advice! I am going to look for freeways near me that are 55mph. There is one near my house; however, the cars are usually well above that speed limit...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Model: Shadow ACE
Year: 2001
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldra87 View Post
Hey everyone I have a quick question for you all about riding on the freeway: how do you get used to the wind pushing you? I just started riding about 3 weeks ago and just hopped on the freeway for the 1st time yesterday, and it was pretty scary. The speed isn't the issue, it was the wind(I live in the Bay Area). I am worried that it may push me into another car or something. Maybe I could get some advice/pointers.
Just to echo what others have said Practice...

I have one really bad spot here that I have to cross every time I visit a friend (which is fair amount) it is a wide open area off the water which is just about always hammered by high winds that cross the highway at 90degrees. It has pushed me into the passing lane once or twice.

A couple of tips. Reduce speed and counter steer into the wind as best as possible. I have even lowered my body into the bike to reduce drag and surface area for the wind to hit.

Hope this helps

Dress for the slide not the ride
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Model: Spirit 750
Year: 2007
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldra87 View Post
Where is a good place to get a windshield?

Try ebay, offerup or craigslist if you want one cheap. I had a fairing from an HD Electra Glide on my aero and it looked good and handled the wind pressure well. My Spitit has a Memphis Shades Malibu windshield. You can get one on ebay for $170-$190, including the mounting hardware.

02 Goldwing GL1800 - "Gold"
07 Shadow Spirit 750

78 CB750K -went separate ways
84 KZ750 - deceased
04 Shadow Aero - passed Down
05 Shadow Aero -went separate ways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page